Notices

Cape Kennedy local info needed. Shuttle launch

Old 08-23-2006, 03:24 PM
DJD
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cape Kennedy local info needed. Shuttle launch

Hello all.
I think I'm going to take my son down to FL for Sundays launch of Atlantis. I hope to fly into Orlando (possibly West Palm) & plan on getting there around 1 p.m. The WBP flight would get me in by 1 also. Where would you suggest I take my 4 year old to watch from? I'd need driving directions too. We would drive down to Stuart to our house for a couple of days after.
Thanks!!
Dave
Old 08-23-2006, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Cape Kennedy local info needed. Shuttle launch

Hey Dave,
Through the course of four years living in Daytona and going to shool at ERAU, I've seen dozens of launches. Most were from the beach at Titusville, and it's pretty good, but by far the best launch viewing is from the cape itself, and of course that's going to cost a few bucks, but I highly recommend it. Check this out:
http://www.ksctickets.com/maaclavifrke.html
http://www.ksctickets.com/spshlastat.html

Last edited by CigDaze; 08-23-2006 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:09 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I went to the observation area at Kennedy, but we arrived late and could not get in, so the cashier told us to just walk around the front of the observation area on the street side of the fence. Saved us money, but had great view and still got to hear all of the stuff on the speakers. We parked in the regular parking that they had, but just walked around to the launch side. It is really awesome to see a launch. Have a great time.
Scott
Old 08-23-2006, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 562 Likes on 231 Posts

The beach on the south side of the harbor is a great place to watch also.Saw a rocket with a satelite launched at night a few years back from that spot on the beach.INCREDIBLE. Every body should see a launch at least once.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can watch from the Cocoa Beach Pier and tip back a few at the bar
Old 08-23-2006, 05:03 PM
Registered

I am planning on taking the Scarab up to Port Canaveral, and watch from the water. I am only about 20 miles from it where I live.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:22 PM
Registered

Pics From Above
Attached Thumbnails Cape Kennedy local info needed. Shuttle launch-194fang9%5B1%5D.jpg   Cape Kennedy local info needed. Shuttle launch-194fang2%5B1%5D.jpg   Cape Kennedy local info needed. Shuttle launch-194fang12%5B1%5D.jpg  

Old 08-24-2006, 05:10 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you're coming down for another reason, like to see family, you could be disappointed. Many times the launch has been scrubbed because of technical glitches or weather. I've seen many tourists on TV that changed flights or canceled plans to drive out for a launch only to have it scrubbed.
And don't fly into West Palm. The drive to the Cape is way too long from there. Orlando International Airport (MCO) or Orlando/Sanford is much closer. 60 minutes or less from Orlando International.
And get there realy, realy early. The traffic and crowds get heavy. You could get caught in traffic and never make it in time. Many get out there 6-8 hours before launch and those with motorhomes camp out.
But the good thing is, if the weather is clear, a launch can be seen from Orlando or any place along the way. I can walk out my front door to watch it. And I'm 60 miles away from the Cape.

Go here for launch viewing info http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/...iew/index.html

Last edited by Iggy; 08-24-2006 at 05:12 AM.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:10 AM
Registered

Also, please watch the weather as it is suppose to be very raining this weekend down here. I too might go to the Space Center and watch it, if the weather looks good. Best of luck and you'll enjoy the heck out of it, if it goes up.

Ben
Old 08-24-2006, 07:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Excellent advice Iggy, I forgot about the darned traffic.....it does get bad. Get there early and plan on spending the whole day there. Getting out afterwards can be even worse.

Quick Reply: Cape Kennedy local info needed. Shuttle launch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.