Where to stay/launch lake powell >

Where to stay/launch lake powell

Notices

Where to stay/launch lake powell

Old 08-26-2006, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where to stay/launch lake powell

Where is a good hotel/marina in Lake Powell? Would need a slip for a 38 fountain. Plan on going after labor day. Thanks Poolshrk.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:35 PM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Where to stay/launch lake powell

Best marina is NO marina. Find a nice secluded canyon, stick the sand spike in.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:45 AM
Registered

Pretty much the only decent marina with a hotel is Wahweap. You can rent a slip and stay at the lodge if you like. Or just put the boat back on the trailer at the end of the day - it would be cheaper and you could save about $1 per gallon by filling up at the top of the hill rather than the marina.

The best thing to do is camp out like CBR said. If you stay at Wahweap you'll probably put on 100-200 miles per day exploring and such. If you camp out you'll save a lot in fuel and time. If you do camp, make sure you anchor good. Leave the sand spike at home. The wind will sneak up on you and if your not prepared ...

Anyway, it is beautiful. We spent 10 days there in the beginning of Aug as we do every year.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:11 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are any of my oso brothers going to be on Lake powell after labor day? Thinking of arriving on Wed. 9/6/06. Would be nice to cruise around with someone else. This will be my first boating trip in a looonnnng time. Looking forward to it. Poolshrk
Old 08-27-2006, 01:55 AM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Funny story re Lake Powell:

My wife and I pitched a tent in Cha Canyon, frolicked with the lizards, blooming catus plants and wild, err, Indian free range horses above our tent. Dad was alone in his own tent.

Durring the night a strong wind sprung up, pittering our tent (probably should have slept on the rented 23 foot cabin cruiser, but we brought our tent with us from New York).

It was really weird the way the wind moved around the canyon, hitting one side of the tent or the other. It was pretty scary and I wondered if someone was outside the tent and doing this. Naw, I reasoned, why would someone be outside in the wind and blowing sand? I learned to ignore it.

Shortly afterwards, I heard my dad moaning and wacking the side of his tent. "Aww, WACK!" " Awww, Wack!"

"Dad, are you okay?" I yelled from inside our tent. "Yes" and the swatting stopped.

Next day, dad said he thought irate Indian herdsmen were playing a joke on us and trying to freak us out by tapping on the tents. He was trying to hit their hands. <gg>

Crusing at about 50 MPH and refueling at Dangling Rope fuel barge, it took us about 5 hours to get to Cha Canyon. Got lost in a side canyon for about an hour as the side canyons are often wider than the main channel. Etrex to the rescue!

The next day, we went from Cha canyon up to Rincon to look for fossils, got buzzed by B1 bombers, back to Cha for the night. Next day refueled at Dangling Rope and back to Waheap.

As per yeehaw, fuel management is critical at Lake Powell. Nothing really interesting to look at around Waheap. Get a Stan Jones map with all the tips on it to plan your trip, plus a nautical chart with GPS numbers on it.

Last edited by CBR; 08-27-2006 at 02:20 AM.