appreciate help on boat purchase >

appreciate help on boat purchase

Notices

appreciate help on boat purchase

Old 08-31-2006, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default appreciate help on boat purchase

i am a current boat owner of a 25ft maxum with 350hp enginge. looking to upgrade to a high performance boat, but i am a first time driver of such a gorgeous machine, and wanted some advice on the best type for someone like myself( inexperiecned)... was thinknig a donzi 33, but have also been reading that cats are easier to handle. ALso one thing i need ot keep in mind is my house at low tide has 3 feet of water. Well i would greatly appreciate any help.. everyone here really knows there ****, and seems very insightful.. If anyone needs any help in financial mkts hit me up.. thx guys
michael
Old 08-31-2006, 09:43 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Default Re: appreciate help on boat purchase

get a deep V, no steps...very predictable as far as boats go. Just like a bigger version of your current boat that will track better, smoother in the rough, and have more throttle to work into. Twin engines are easy to maneuver with. Cant help you with the three ft of water deal...that will be an issue with most boats in the 30-35 ft range.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:50 AM
Registered

so stay away from the donzi, and the cats? any recommednations on boat maker then? or speicific boat? also i was told that 3 foot of water was ok, since it was only for 100 yards or so and i could just trim up engines and go slow for that time.. is that incorrect? thx so much ....
Old 08-31-2006, 10:26 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 515 Posts

Let me know if you like the 33 Active Thunder.

http://www.activethunderboats.com/33ActiveAVH.htm

I can help you get into a new one. There is one on the floor at the factory waiting for a new owner. Pick your colors and options.

If you trim up, you should be able to get just about any boat out with 3' at low tide, but its going to be tight. You can't trim up too far for too long, or you will destroy your U-joints to the outdrive. You also don't have that great of handling when the drives are trimmed up. I would definately recommend sea-strainers in line with your water pickup(s). If you go with a cat, there are DEFINATELY some nice ones out there. If you go with outboards, then you can trim them up pretty high, and go out at low tide with no problem... only issue is insurance on a cat is ridiculous.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 08-31-2006 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:35 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by tblrklakemo
get a deep V, no steps...very predictable as far as boats go. Just like a bigger version of your current boat that will track better, smoother in the rough, and have more throttle to work into. Twin engines are easy to maneuver with. Cant help you with the three ft of water deal...that will be an issue with most boats in the 30-35 ft range.

There is NOTHING wrong with a stepped hull boat. You can't throw one into a 90mph U-turn, but who does that anyway?

(By the way, Tres Martin pulled a 180 degree, 80mph U-turn in Docmanrich37's 37 Active Thunder with a stepped hull.)

This argument on straight bottom and stepped hulls can go on for years; actually it has already done so. Don't let anyone steer you away from what you want. Pick out what suits your style of boating and tastes. After you pick out what you want, sign up for Tres Martin's high performance boating class, and you will be better prepared than most of the boaters out there.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take Tres Martins Course!!!!!! Then decide what you want. Everyone who posts will have a different opinion of whats best to get, without knowing all the facts, such as, do you boat on a lake,open ocean, how rough does it get. You mentioned tide, is it going to sit in the water all the time, if so you will need it bottom painted, or do you have a lift? If your debating a cat, then find the right cat for you. maybe a 30 amt with OB's. or spectre. If you want a bigger cat for rough water, then they may be looking for a 36 nor-tech with real mild power, but even that will go about 100 which isnt great for someone just getting into high performance boating.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The single most important question is...

What's your budget?

Not only for the boat but fuel & insurance. Cats cost BIG$$$ and insurance probably won't be available to someone new to performance boating- at any price.

After that, you can start to narrow down wants & expectations.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:05 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Where you boat, and how you intend to use the boat is important for us to know.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:10 PM
Registered

i boat in nj on a barnegat bay, but would like at some point when im much more experience to go into the ocean via the inlet. For the time being i guess i will be using the boat for pleasure running around the bay, and occassionaly stopping at friends houses.. and when people say big $$$ for cat insuracne how much does that mean? is it that much better a boat handling wise? I will be putting the boat on a lift... the bay is typically pretty calm dont think ever really gets over 3 feet chop, or that ill go in any time soon until i learn alot more.... i am going to sign up for tres martins course but really appreciate u guys helping me out, u guys are great thx
Old 08-31-2006, 03:43 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I would check berns spectre (cat)that is for sale.
He is local to you. Outboards will be quieter. No cabin here.
My guess is insurance will run 5-6000?
http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-11830.html

For a V bottom in the low 30 range, I like an Active thunder or Powerplay.
I'm a fan of the old school look, so those may or may not be attractive to you.

I think to get into a decent used boat in the low-mid 30ft range, you'll be spending 80-100 for a late 90s-early 00s boat.

Or you could get an older Cig bullet or Cafe Racer.

New... a 34 Saber would be coolin.

Quick Reply: appreciate help on boat purchase

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.