Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Baja, Donzi, Fountain, VIP, Scarab, or Formula? >

Baja, Donzi, Fountain, VIP, Scarab, or Formula?

Notices

Baja, Donzi, Fountain, VIP, Scarab, or Formula?

Old 01-22-2002, 07:19 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
RunninHorn - If you bought Cobalts for the reason that most people bought Cobalts, you will be most at home in a Formula (292 or 312). That being said, you need to climb around (and drive/ride if possible) as many models and brands as you can. You never know when some detail that you did not consider important could change your mind completely about a particular boat. Bear in mind follow-up service, too. If there is not a dealer at Lake Travis, it could be a pain in the ass.

Like BajaBob38 said - Go To Miami. Chances are you can get a ride in a lot of the boats you are considering. Even if they are not in the water at the show, you can probably find a dealer to take you out for a ride off-site.

...Besides, all of us brilliant OSO minds will be there to offer advice live and in person!

Welcome to the board, too.
Old 01-22-2002, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FOUNTAIN!!!! He's a little guy with privates that probably match...so you know he has to make up for it every way he can....damn fine job of it too.
Old 01-22-2002, 09:31 PM
RUNNINHORN

Thanks all for the info. I never knew there were so many cigarette boat manufacturers. My main concern when buyin a boat is just hauling balls across the water. I dont care about sleeping in it, i probably wont even go in the cuddy cabin part. I just want it to be fast and loud. My main thing is that it does well in semi-rough water and is fast-period. So any suggestions?

Old 01-22-2002, 09:39 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

"POWERPLAY ALL THE WAY"

I just had a customer bring in a 10 year old he had just picked up for some upgrades. 25' no stress cracks, Mercury 200 still running with 1000 hours on them, gaffrig guages all working, original interior in fine shape, even the bennet tabs work. He was extremely happy with the price-$28000.00 Can anyone guess how much the boat sold for 10 years ago ? Try $35,000.00
Old 01-22-2002, 09:51 PM
KN
Registered

Runninhorn you should look at a 24 or 28' Skater, of if you want a deep v check out the 30' Superboat just what you are looking for, you may also want to check out some used Factory I race boats, or other race boats for sale. There are quit a few for sale. There was Corsa for sale and an Ultimate Warlock. And there is a really nice 32' Sunsation FI for sale.

Kirk
Old 01-22-2002, 10:22 PM
Registered

Go with the cat 25 to 28 feet with at least 500hp then you will be haulin ass and of course its loud when people are behind you all the time.
Old 01-22-2002, 10:28 PM
Registered

I have a 35 Fountain, pre-windshield, and love the boat. I run in Lake Michigan where there is no rhyme or reason for wave patterns. The boat handles these with no problem.
How rough is your lake? A Skater "Cat" is hard to beat. Less horsepower to go faster.
Try to hook up with people at a local marina and go out on boats and see what you like. What looks good in the showroom might not meet your expectations on the water. My second boat was a 25' Checkmate. I was ready to sell it after the first month because of all the wind noise, no windshield. I installed some wind deflectors and problem solved. I still miss that boat. You can't go wrong sticking with the name brands. Go to a boat show and see what you like. By the way 70 is not as fast as you think when you get into a bigger boat.
Happy shopping,
Dan