Notices

The Fountain Beak - Why?

Old 09-03-2006, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The Fountain Beak - Why?

Originally Posted by ACTIVESHACK
I went on Monsoon aka Sydwayz and it sold me. Brian told me your in this boat not on it and i new what he meant after owning 2 beak boats.
Brain is right!! nice to be able to go in the cabin without being on yor knees don't need no stinking beak!!
Old 09-03-2006, 02:08 PM
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Lightbulb Re: The Fountain Beak - Why?

Originally Posted by Smarty
I understood that he took the bottom design (pad) from Allison and the nose from idea from Hydrostream, added it to the basic Excalibur design and improved the boat. I could be wrong, but it makes sense, based on his outboard hot-rodder background prior to starting Fountain powerboats.
Bingo!
Old 09-03-2006, 02:26 PM
Registered

I can say for fact that I have somehow driven "through" many SURE bone-jarring stuff / semi-stuff ocean holes, because of that beak. And maintained a very good percentage of my entry speed. These would have been pretty serious in other "beak-less" hulls that I have driven.

You got to trim IN a bit for full effect ( and some neg tab ), but once you trust that it's not a fluke you can steady increase power and maintain surprising speeds through some pretty serious size.
I drive a small Fountain ( 32'er ) in some big Pacific water. It's pretty impressive to me.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pantera1
OK ill say it , I like the look of the beak, you can always tell what it is right away.. In fact the only thing I dont care too much for on the fountains is the dash.. Dated orange crate, prefer the sticks in my right hand and flat not verticle..
You got a point about the dash...too boxy...the rest of the boats looks are sweeeeeeet.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:33 PM
Registered

I'm guessing that reggie used the "carolina flare" that is found on sport fishing boats in the carolinas. The theory is the carolina flare makes for a dryer ride. These carolina sportfishing boats often have a fine entry for the rough water they often encounter, and the flare prevents the nose from diving under. Some sport fisherman even have a lip around the base of the windscreen to deflect water that makes it over the bow.
Attached Thumbnails The Fountain Beak - Why?-flare.jpg  
Old 09-03-2006, 05:37 PM
Registered

Marolina 23'
Attached Thumbnails The Fountain Beak - Why?-flare2.jpg  
Old 09-03-2006, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll tell ya my beak on my 38TE Foutain knocked down some nasty water in Tampa Bay during the OPDA poker run...never got a drop of water in the boat. The beak may be a looks thing but I bet Fountain thought of how it could help in the water too. I have owned other traditional V hulls and the last tradtional V hull very sharp nose no flair was a VERY wet boat. The nose would slice through the waves and the water would just curl right over the top and soak everyone. I do not have this problem on my Fountain 38TE.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:19 PM
NRG
Registered

Question Re: The Fountain Beak - Why?

Originally Posted by Smarty
I understood that he took the bottom design (pad) from Allison and the nose from idea from Hydrostream, added it to the basic Excalibur design and improved the boat. I could be wrong, but it makes sense, based on his outboard hot-rodder background prior to starting Fountain powerboats.
ED - does this mean that it is pure styling, or did he actually think it would assist in performance? When he made this design, these boats were not near todays speeds, so aerodynamics "probably" were not part of the speed formula.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:33 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by NRG
ED - does this mean that it is pure styling, or did he actually think it would assist in performance? When he made this design, these boats were not near todays speeds, so aerodynamics "probably" were not part of the speed formula.
He stole the beak idea. There was not any aero idea/design to the 1983 Fountains with regards to the beak, the Allison bottom copy (elongation) was the key to the early Fountain performance. Some of early boats had the 475 Mercury turbo package which was stout, but no way in hell in 1983 was there any aero thought to the bow design even with the stoutest engine packages of the day. The beak design makes Fountain Powerboats unique for offshore boats, there is no mistaking a Fountain.

Reggie was very, very good at taking an existing idea, and improving upon it, but most of all making it work.

I realize I am not Ed, but wanted to chime in with my $.02
Old 09-04-2006, 07:34 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by littlenige
The Fountain Beak - Why?
Obviously to add class.

Quick Reply: The Fountain Beak - Why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.