Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Sanibel/Captiva Red Tide Report? >

Sanibel/Captiva Red Tide Report?

Notices

Sanibel/Captiva Red Tide Report?

Old 09-05-2006, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sanibel/Captiva Red Tide Report?

We have a long weekend planed with boat to celebrate wife's b-day to the Captiva area and I am worried the red tide is already here (there). We live in St. Pete and is OK here, but I know it starts south. Anyone local to the area? I would ate to go there and be around dead fish all weekend. Thanks.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Re: Sanibel/Captiva Red Tide Report?

Originally Posted by mneal
We have a long weekend planed with boat to celebrate wife's b-day to the Captiva area and I am worried the red tide is already here (there). We live in St. Pete and is OK here, but I know it starts south. Anyone local to the area? I would ate to go there and be around dead fish all weekend. Thanks.
I was out on Monday around Sanibel and fort myers beach. The red tide was not present but Fort Myers Beach had a bad case of Red Alge. All day they were racking the beach with tractors. The water wasn't bad just the beach. it should be fine by this weekend. Hope this helps.

Don
Old 09-06-2006, 07:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I haven't been there personally, but the news is making it sound like it's getting pretty bad in Manatee County (it's the news, so take it with a grain of salt).

-------------

Map: http://research.myfwc.com/features/v...sp?id=9670#Map
Article: http://research.myfwc.com/features/v...p?id=9670#Stat

Southwest Region: A bloom of the Florida red tide organism, Karenia brevis, continues to impact the southwest Florida coast this week with high concentrations detected alongshore between Manatee and northern Charlotte counties. Northward movement of the bloom appears to continue with low concentrations of K. brevis detected in southern Pinellas County at the Ft. Desoto gulf pier and high concentrations detected 1.5 miles offshore. Additional offshore samples collected 6 to 12 miles offshore between Johns Pass (Pinellas County) and Longboat Pass (Manatee County) contained medium to high concentrations at sites west of Bunces Pass, Egmont Key and Longboat Pass. Fish kills and respiratory irritation are possible between southern Pinellas County and northern Collier County.

An extensive bloom of the marine cyanobacteria Trichodesmium remains in coastal waters between southern Pinellas and Lee counties and continues to co-occur with the K. brevis bloom. Trichodesmium can collect at the water surface and appear brown, green or white. Although non-toxic, at high concentrations this bloom may be mistaken for an oil or sewage spill.

The FWRI Red Tide Status Line is now available to callers to hear a recording detailing red tide conditions throughout the state. FWRI updates the recording each Friday by 5 p.m. after sampling efforts for the week have been completed and analyzed. Red Tide Status Line: (866) 300-9399 (toll-free inside Florida only); (727) 552-2448 (outside Florida).
Old 09-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 562 Likes on 231 Posts

We don't really have any of it in Bointa springs right now but Fort myers beach has definitely got the stinky weeds going.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called hotel/marina tonight and the guy said they have it....some dead fish...not terrible. I am going to call in the morning and talk to manager to see if he will forgo the 1 night cancellation fee. If I can bail for free I think I will....now the question is where to go...maybe St. John's river have never been there and want to go somewhere for wife's b-day (today) . Last couple years hurricanes have hosed up her b-day trips now red tide. :-(
Old 09-06-2006, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

I was in Sanibel and Captiva last weekend. East Sanibel had a lot of the red alge seaweed on the beach and it was pretty ripe. West Sanibel and Captiva were fine.