Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   I hate negotiating (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/139899-i-hate-negotiating.html)

cloke 09-07-2006 11:53 PM

Re: I hate negotiating

Tee4Texas

I've watched you take some heat over the last few days when you have clearly been logical and courteous and have put forth some well made comments.
Some people think you shouldn't participate if you aren't a performance boater when in fact half the people out here with
10,000 plus posts have boats that were built in the 80's.
They should go get a new boat or a life.
I appreciate your ability to spell also.Keep em coming!!

Zudnic 09-08-2006 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by lucky strike
A bidder is better than a looker.

Spoken like a true car dealer!!!!! :D

I got a good wholesale deal on a 1977 Rolls Royce Corniche Coupe, nice dark blue color, but god aweful green seats and carpet. Did'nt bother putting it on our lot straight into the warehouse until I could redo the seats in a nicer color. Pulled up to put the car into the warehouse, got out and this older Scottish dude walking his dog started checking out the car. I'm thinking to myself: "must get rid of the looker" Made excuse that I must get back to the dealership my boss is going to fire me cause I'm really late! Looker: "oh she's forsale, how much?" I pretend to phone boss to get a price and decided to high ball a figure something I'm sure this old guy cant afford and maybe he'll stop wasting my time, told him around $80K and he said "sold". I paid just over $20K for it and had it less than an hour....

Michael1 09-08-2006 01:12 AM

If you are selling, patience is the key. Know what it is worth, and don't get yourself into a situation where you need to unload it.

If you are buying, make sure you have a very good idea of what it is worth before you start bidding. Know what the repair or upgrades are going to cost you. Start low, and be willing to negotiage. When you are getting to your target price, put in offers in smaller and smaller upward increments. I did this with a car dealer the other day, and it got down to $25. It was hilarious!

Try to have fun with it, too. It shouldn't seem like all work.

Michael

Cash Bar 09-08-2006 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Zudnic

told him around $80K and he said "sold". I paid just over $20K for it and had it less than an hour....

Wow, did you price all the boats at Lake Cumberland....??? :eek:

Zudnic 09-08-2006 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by tee4texas
zud.....you are my new hero

did you feel bad you didnt say 95? lol

The guy I was working with was a tad bit greedy and wanted me to up the price on the guy. Selling that car un-did months of talking him into realistic pricing! We had a 1981 Ferrari 308GTS that he had on the lot for 7 freakin years, had him convinced its time to sell it for the $30K it was worth after the roller he turned down an offer I had for close to $40K, cars still forsale.......

boatme 09-08-2006 06:29 AM

I had a guy make me an offer over the phone before ever looking at the boat in person

He started out by saying i dont want to insult you

so I told him THEN DONT

Was interesting

I also told a lowballer after he told me his price to buy to" come to Michigan to look at the boat we might be able to work it out" (HE was in California) he then said "well i am just shopping and wondered what it would take " I told him a plane tickit to start with LOL

negociation is jsut part of the proces
and a good deal is a state of mind
everyone has ther point to which they will buy or fly

just need to hone in on that as soon as you can

have fun with it

I have always said it never hurts to ask as long as you dont getmad if i say no

BY U BOY 09-08-2006 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by CASH BAR
Wow, did you price all the boats at Lake Cumberland....??? :eek:

LMFAO :D

Tow-N-One 09-08-2006 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by gsmith9898
I act like I will probably take it, but will have to go to the bank. I call back the next day and tell them I'll have to pass because the bank would only loan X amount. That will normally open the door for negotiation.

This works. :rolleyes:

RJ1340 09-09-2006 08:43 PM

Ever try a little honesty? "I like your boat, would you take $50K for it?".
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Why worry about pissing off someone who's asking too much for his boat? Its not personal, its about him wanting to get as much for his boat and you wanting to get as much boat as you can for as little as possible. That's how business is done. Would you be more insulted by someone making you an offer for your boat (or car or condo) or by someone walking away without making you an offer, just wishing you good luck?

sonicator 09-09-2006 08:55 PM

I would not worry about pissing the guy off unless the offer you make is way out of line. When I purchased my current boat i offered the dealer 75% of what they were asking and they took it. The answer is always no unless you ask.