Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Any 1st time boat owners that launched their boat solo the lst time out? >

Any 1st time boat owners that launched their boat solo the lst time out?

Notices

Any 1st time boat owners that launched their boat solo the lst time out?

Old 08-22-2014, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any 1st time boat owners that launched their boat solo the lst time out?

Well, as a lst time boat owner, I'm about to take my new to me '94 Powerquest 270 to the lake for the lst time tomorrow...ALONE.

I've researched, watched vids, and went through the launching/loading procedure in my head.

It's an 11,000 acre lake. Winds should be light tomorrow. I've scoped out several ramps and watched boaters come and go.

Any last minute tips besides "Don't do it!! Take somebody with you!!"

Thanks
Old 08-22-2014, 08:55 PM
Registered

Take it slow. Make sure to put your drain plug in. Don't unhook the bow strap till the boat and trailer is in the water. Don't back in too fast. When retrieving, don't put the trailer in too deep then power on too far, you will get some nasty scratches. Just take it slow and pay attention to what you are doing.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:56 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Don't unhook until you're in the water and ready to launch from the trailer.

Make sure you're drain plug is IN.

Don't be afraid to ask for help

Fenders out before you back up

Lines hooked up and ready to grab before you back up

Make sure you have the keys in the ignition (don't ask how I remember this one)

Go slow with everything

If it's a slippery ramp make sure you're in 4WD before you back up

Make sure your trailer wheels don't go past the end of the ramp slab

Once I got it down, I launched my 33' by myself all the time.
HAVE FUN

Last edited by Indy; 08-22-2014 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:58 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

LOL RollWithIt, posting the same stuff at the same time!!!

I think all of us have made these mistakes one time or another (some of them anyway)
Old 08-22-2014, 09:02 PM
Registered

Tomorrow is a Saturday which typically means there will be a lot of people at the lake. I've always found "boat people" to be incredibly helpful. I'm sure there will be someone experienced there to help you. But in the off chance there isn't Rollwithits advice sounds about right. I've loaded my 24 footer twice basically by myself (the only person I had with me was a girlfriend who wasn't much help) and it was fairly easy to do. I just backed the trailer in while the boat was tied off at the end of the dock and then walked into the water and guided the boat on the bunks and winched.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by RollWithIt
When retrieving, don't put the trailer in too deep then power on too far, you will get some nasty scratches.
IMO, I wouldn't power on unless I had no other choice. I've been boating for a long time and learned that a lot less can go wrong if you just float the boat on the trailer. .
Old 08-22-2014, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 516 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by RollWithIt
Take it slow. Make sure to put your drain plug in. Don't unhook the bow strap till the boat and trailer is in the water. Don't back in too fast. When retrieving, don't put the trailer in too deep then power on too far, you will get some nasty scratches. Just take it slow and pay attention to what you are doing.
My only addition to this is don't unhook the strap until the boat is running. Nothing like trying to wrestle it if it doesn't start if there is current or wind
Old 08-22-2014, 09:35 PM
Registered

Gonna agree with Dave M. If you are not familiar with the boat or don't have someone to eyeball the bow, you will be better off putting the trailer in a little farther then just floating the boat on the trailer using the winch to get it snug. If I am by myself I know how far to put the trailer I the water then will power on to a point. The last little bit is still done with the winch, backing the trailer in the water a little more if needed to make it go smooth.

Indy, my family owns a marina here in Pittsburgh that has a launch ramp. Ive watched and learned from a lot of other peoples mistakes over the years. By the time I got my first boat I already had an understanding of what not to do. lol
Old 08-22-2014, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Make sure it runs before you get there. Lift the drive before you pull out
Old 08-22-2014, 10:42 PM
Registered

If you're not sure how to back up a trailer, go to an empty parking lot first and practiced reversing it will save you a lot of stress.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.