Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
anyone amke adrive shower for 3a's? >

anyone amke adrive shower for 3a's?

Notices

anyone amke adrive shower for 3a's?

Old 09-10-2006, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: anyone amke adrive shower for 3a's?

Originally Posted by Roger 1
The manual calls for 9.38 quarts with slight variences due to casting differences. Do you have some sort of external cooler that would account for the difference?
yeah dude,why do yours hold 2 extra gallons of oil?
Old 09-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You tell em Roger...........m.m.........
Old 09-10-2006, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by el indio
You tell em Roger...........m.m.........

I'm on it...........
Old 09-10-2006, 03:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the standard inner transom plate with a reservoir and a reservoir bottle like a Latham steering unit. It just took about 1 and a half of the big Mercruiser jugs of oil. I thought the jugs were 3 gallons each. Not try to pull anybody's chain.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Offshoreracr
I have the standard inner transom plate with a reservoir and a reservoir bottle like a Latham steering unit. It just took about 1 and a half of the big Mercruiser jugs of oil. I thought the jugs were 3 gallons each. Not try to pull anybody's chain.
I did'nt think that you were yankin' my chain. I was just trying to figure out where the rest of the oil was going. I don't know how much the transom plate reservoir holds and I don't think that that was included in that spec. Just the drive.

Roger
Old 09-10-2006, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Offshoreracr
On the #3's the oil is filled from the bottom to the top vent plug on the side of the drive.... NOT UP INTO THE RESERVOIR.... The reservoir is used for expansion. When the drive is level the oil should come out of the top vent plug.This is the place that the fluid level is checked, NOT THE WINDOW ON THE RESERVOIR. If you overfill the drive it won't hurt anything, but there is a chance that the excess will burp out of the reservoir vent causing a "shamrock milkshake" in the bilge. If the lower seals fail on the drive you will get water pushed into the lower foot and it will displace oil into the bilge. This information comes from the Mercruiser manual for #3's that I have. I also have experience disassembling and replacing the seals in #3's. Also... the reason you don't see anyone advertising showers for #3's is because they don't need them.

Last edited by Reed Jensen; 09-10-2006 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Reed Jensen
On the #3's the oil is filled from the bottom to the top vent plug on the side of the drive.... NOT UP INTO THE RESERVOIR.... The reservoir is used for expansion. When the drive is level the oil should come out of the top vent plug.This is the place that the fluid level is checked, NOT THE WINDOW ON THE RESERVOIR. If you overfill the drive it won't hurt anything, but there is a chance that the excess will burp out of the reservoir vent causing a "shamrock milkshake" in the bilge. If the lower seals fail on the drive you will get water pushed into the lower foot and it will displace oil into the bilge. This information comes from the Mercruiser manual for #3's that I have. I also have experience disassembling and replacing the seals in #3's. Also... the reason you don't see anyone advertising showers for #3's is because they don't need them.
dont #3s or #3a's get hot when run hard with big hp? thx for the info reed. rm
Old 09-11-2006, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Bunch of us with Vs & big HP up here...Run HARD and never had a problem ....Enjoy that boat...BAD AZZ !!
Old 09-11-2006, 07:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by birdog
Bunch of us with Vs & big HP up here...Run HARD and never had a problem ....Enjoy that boat...BAD AZZ !!
will do thx, rm
Old 09-11-2006, 04:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ratman
dont #3s or #3a's get hot when run hard with big hp? thx for the info reed. rm
#3's are really sturdy compared to Bravos. My buddy's fountain had #3's and even with 540 blown engines they never got more than just warm to the touch.

Quick Reply: anyone amke adrive shower for 3a's?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.