Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
care to guess what the michelob light boat weighs fully rigged on alum trailer >

care to guess what the michelob light boat weighs fully rigged on alum trailer

Notices

care to guess what the michelob light boat weighs fully rigged on alum trailer

Old 09-11-2006, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: care to guess what the michelob light boat weighs fully rigged on alum trailer

The long box keeps the rocking or bucking way down, the short wheel base will be a bucking bronc, air bags and sway bar (it doesn't have one?) will help 100% also. Be careful when towing without motors in, you will have huge tongue weight and the trailer will be way unbalanced, the weight of the motors, trannies and drives is 1/3rd the weight of the boat if not more and this will be a real pain to tow, I know, I did this with a 33 Donzi and it was a horrible ride. If you are towing a long way it may be worth it to move it back on the trailer, let it hang over by moving the bow post back, then it is easy to bring back when the motors are back in. I would say 10-11 max and the SD SB PSD will be fine, like said towing is easy, stopping is where the real concerns are, your truck should be fine anyway. I have bags and added a sway bar to the X and it was like night and day. My X did not have the bar, I would think yours does, I went to a 30mm bar, I thing stock is 24 and if you need to add one or upgrade the existing go with the 30mm bar, JC Whitney has them for $149.00. In any case you want a flat balanced trailer and truck, this will give you the best control and it looks so much better than an a$$ dragging truck with a wacked out trailer riding on the front axle only.
Attached Thumbnails care to guess what the michelob light boat weighs fully rigged on alum trailer-new-004-small-.jpg   care to guess what the michelob light boat weighs fully rigged on alum trailer-donzi-truck-side-view..jpg  
Old 09-11-2006, 06:58 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: care to guess what the michelob light boat weighs fully rigged on alum trailer

Originally Posted by ratman
jon i will be relocating to costa rica and the raods are smaller and a dually is pretty much out of the question. you have to pay 100% of acv as a tax/duty for cars you import, so im only gonna have one vehicle. thx, rm
You may have just answered your question then? If the roads are that tight then you may need the short wheel base. Don't worry about the dually, they really are not that much wider. I figure if my mirrors go through then the fenders will also. Plus your boat is going to be that wide anyhow. It is the wheel base that is going to be the biggest deal for you IMO. I would go with a crew cab or ext cab short bed dually. If you are going new lots of the new trucks turn quite a bit better then the old sleds like I have.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:06 PM
Registered

Ratman-
I have Betty Cook's second Scarab. She raced as KAAMA then Michelob Light- in both configurations she ran under #89 and #US-1 (National Champ 79 and 81).

It is a kevlar/epoxy layoup with Carbon Fiber reinforcements- these can be seen as large X's between the D ring bulkheads. The power is full staggered NA 540s with crashboxes and #3 crescents swinging 17.25 X 29 4 blades.

I have a lot of pictures but am an OSO freeloader- I was just past being in the first 1000 that recieved charter memberships, but that is another story. I can email pictures if you send your email addy to:

rcbyrd (AT) bellsouth.net

If I recall correctly the boat you have raced under #3 with Ippolito. I may have some pictures of that boat- the person you need to talk to is Charlie Mc Carthy on HORBA- I think he has the John Crouse collection which is huge.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:13 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

jon i will be relocating to costa rica and the raods are smaller and a dually is pretty much out of the question. you have to pay 100% of acv as a tax/duty for cars you import, so im only gonna have one vehicle. thx, rm
Considering the condition of roads in Costa, I would consider a steel galvanized trailer. Lot's more bumps and pot holes on the back roads, the Alum. is going to take a beating.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Panther
Considering the condition of roads in Costa, I would consider a steel galvanized trailer. Lot's more bumps and pot holes on the back roads, the Alum. is going to take a beating.
i plan on buying a place on the pacific coast so i shouldn't have more than a few munite tow to dip it.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Panther
i plan on buying a place on the pacific coast so i shouldn't have more than a few munite tow to dip it. but i will keep an eye on the trailer. thx,rm
Old 09-12-2006, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are not getting a dually...Get all the wheelbase you can...It makes a huge diff on the road
Old 09-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Registered

i have an 87 46 Larry Smith... weighed it ac ouple years ago..on trailer without engines but with drives... i believe it was right around 11,000
Old 09-12-2006, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bulldog
Ratman-
I have Betty Cook's second Scarab. She raced as KAAMA then Michelob Light- in both configurations she ran under #89 and #US-1 (National Champ 79 and 81).

It is a kevlar/epoxy layoup with Carbon Fiber reinforcements- these can be seen as large X's between the D ring bulkheads. The power is full staggered NA 540s with crashboxes and #3 crescents swinging 17.25 X 29 4 blades.

I have a lot of pictures but am an OSO freeloader- I was just past being in the first 1000 that recieved charter memberships, but that is another story. I can email pictures if you send your email addy to:

rcbyrd (AT) bellsouth.net

If I recall correctly the boat you have raced under #3 with Ippolito. I may have some pictures of that boat- the person you need to talk to is Charlie Mc Carthy on HORBA- I think he has the John Crouse collection which is huge.

mel riggs has some great pics. of your boat signed by betty cook thanking him for turning her # to u.s.1.....Might have told you that already.........mark........P.S.....thanx again for the book..........m.m........
Old 09-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

i plan on buying a place on the pacific coast so i shouldn't have more than a few munite tow to dip it. but i will keep an eye on the trailer. thx,rm
I towed my Apache from Boston to NJ with an F-350 Powerstroke Crew Cab long bed. The bed would hop up and down a little on the turnpike anything over 65 mph but other than that it did just fine. A dauly may have been nicer but it didn't scare me away.

The boat weighs 10,500 dry and the trailer is probably around 3-4K. I'd say 15K with fuel and gear.

Quick Reply: care to guess what the michelob light boat weighs fully rigged on alum trailer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.