Like Tree0Likes

Should we have an governing board for Poker Runs?

Old 09-14-2006, 07:13 PM
Registered

My Boats: 24' Pantera
Default Re: Should we have an governing board for Poker Runs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRPSTF
Bouyhunter,
'Exactly, but the committee, or board of directors does not have to be handed down if it already exists on a private level.
I am if anyone could, would or has the abuility to form an association comprised of boaters before we have one comprised of government elected officials.
Believe me, I do understand where your coming from.
What I see happening is a comittee or board is formed, and then it will inevitably have to negotiate with Gov't/ Authorities - which will then be taken over by the Gov't/ Authorities.
I wish if you saw someone being an AZZ on the water, as a community, we simply told that person that they are not invited to participate anymore.

I know, they are lofty hopes, but I guess I'm grabbing at the straws that are left.

It again goes back to accountability.
Maybe, you submit a request to run with a group, and your submission is reviewed and you are accepted or denied, based on history - this would involve your comittee.

Just an idea that snapped in my head - I may think in a few minutes it was ludicrous...
Old 09-14-2006, 07:36 PM
Registered

I don't necessarily think they'll end up outlawed..... what I do think will happen if we don't smarten up is insurance companies will say participation in a PR will void your coverage......

Until organizers crack down on on some of the participants who have disregard for rules of the road..... thats the way it'll end up.

How about a PR official and a volunteer/paid LEO in a copter during the run. They see a boat operating outside the law.... boat is disqualified and kick out of event. No one should have a problem with that... right? Cuz we all a proper boaters and operate within the rules..... right?....

Last edited by NefariousOne; 09-14-2006 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:37 PM
Registered

My Boats: 368 Skater, 33 Scarab AVS(Sold), Fountain 48EC Yanmar/Arneson, Deep Impact 33LS

No!!!
Old 09-14-2006, 08:35 PM
Registered

Old School said it already and I think GLH said it on another thread, Poker runs will become a thing of the past. Insurance has been tough to acquire anyway now after several deaths (Texoma/ SOTW, Etc) and several incidents (Disco Bay Cat Pile Up) the insurance companies will soon exclude poker runs as part of their standard coverage. The next issue will be organizers won't be able to get coverage as well.

I think that they will have to change the names of the events to take the Poker Run out of the equation and let it be a fun run of sorts. I have attended several events( 15+) in 2 years and think that I will be straying away from the bigger events that attract the high speed boats. I am usually the smallest/ slowest boat at the event (32 Sunsation) and have to run WFO (low 70's) to keep up with the pack so there isn't much drama at the back of the pack but think that the smaller events are safer due to the lack of egos/ hot rodding. We will be skipping the bigger events from now on to try to be a little more cautious in the future. I have 2 small kids at home I don't want to be orphans because someone wanted to get to the first card stop really fast.

Some of you may think that this is an uncommon view but I have a friend with a extremely well known boat that is tired of everyone trying to beat his boat to the next card stop that he is selling his boat and running something less well known to avoid all the egos. He ran over two dozen runs with the well known boat and was tired of every jackazz with a stock power ABC brand boat pulling dumb moves to beat him to a card stop so they can say they outran his boat on whatever poker run.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:15 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Last year, 45 people from the high performance industry created a document. These people included boat manufactuers, insurance underwriters, Poker Run producers, engine builders and racers/Poker Runners.

If you want to do something about safety, read it and contribute your thoughts. Beyond that, you can use the document as a guidline for your events.

These guidlines probably would not have stopped these unfortunate accidents but it would have made the aftermath go much smoother.

www.boatingsafe.org - use it for free - safety belongs to everone.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:23 PM
Registered

Ron ty for the link. IMO just stating everyone is required to follow all local rules and regs don't mean squat until the first time someone is kicked out of an event or disqualified for not coming off plane in a no wake zone or operating in a manner not in accordance with all regs and laws..etc.

The rules and guidelines for PR's are a great start! But until there are consequences for those that break them.... they are just words....

ENFORCEMENT.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:08 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by NefariousOne

The rules and guidelines for PR's are a great start! But until there are consequences for those that break them.... they are just words....

ENFORCEMENT.
ACCOUNTABILTY! - we speak the same words.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:12 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NefariousOne
Ron ty for the link. IMO just stating everyone is required to follow all local rules and regs don't mean squat until the first time someone is kicked out of an event or disqualified for not coming off plane in a no wake zone or operating in a manner not in accordance with all regs and laws..etc.

ENFORCEMENT.
So, how do you enforce them? What's the penilty for breaking a rule? There is no overlord governing body and I don't see one in the making. And since it's a card game, there's really nothing you can do if someone breaks a rule.

Looks like a no win situation. The insurance companies will be the ones to set the rules from now on. Better them than the government. At least the Ins Cos are on our side.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:18 PM
Registered

My Boats: I Have No Boat

They outlaw poker runs and we'll get together and have fun runs.......
Old 09-14-2006, 10:21 PM
Registered

Jupiter Sunsation,
I also agree.
I was on a boat as a guest at Cumberland last weekend that ran in the slow class (-70) we actually ran mid to upper 70's (76-78 Gaffrig Speedo) They were Sandbagging, and were first at the first card stop for our class. On the way to the second card stop, another boat wearing green class was playing with us for a little while, but then took off..
I'm an honest guy, I'd rather run with some competition instead of sandbagging. It's more fun to go toe-to-toe and see who comes out a winner. That's why you have the different classes - see who can read the course and the water better.