Like Tree0Likes

Should we have an governing board for Poker Runs?

Old 09-15-2006, 12:20 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Default Re: Should we have an governing board for Poker Runs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee4texas
Sean H - read the post again..........you missed the point - thanks
i don't think i did.... it is the ultimate poker run machine in my opinion if your true consideration is safety... otherwise you are just offended by the speed, which i think most people already see through your motives on here....
Old 09-15-2006, 12:24 AM
Registered

Sean, I am not saying its not the perfect Poker RUn boat - I think its a fantastic boat......but where do the downriggers go?

Here was my question:

Quote:
What do you think the general non-performance boating public reads into this?
YOu ahve to understand that everything that is done in this realm is under scrutiny. Tell me what you think per my question above..........if not, thats fine too - I understand.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:29 AM
Registered

Let me add this Sean and maybe you will understand my point better. You know its a great PR boat...........I can see that (operated properly) ias well.............so why flaunt a 165mph @2/3 throttle boat as the perfect poker run boat? surely, anyone who would consider buying it already knows that - correct?
However, its ammunition for the un-initiated. As GG pointed out, there are contingencies out there who dont like performance boaters - you may think its me and you would be wrong - but why give these people ammunition to be used upon you? Personally, I would pull the fountain cat-killer ad as well.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:32 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Quote:
Sean, I am not saying its not the perfect Poker RUn boat - I think its a fantastic boat......but where do the downriggers go?

Here was my question:

YOu ahve to understand that everything that is done in this realm is under scrutiny. Tell me what you think per my question above..........if not, thats fine too - I understand.
i am assuming that you are referring to the 160+ at 2/3 throttle statement since you won't come out and say it....

its a fast boat, so what? it's perfectly legal to go out and run as fast as you want on most lakes (and the ocean obviosly) that this boat will be on... do you want them to say it "cruises nicely at 55"....? so do i have a problem with how its worded, no, should anybody else? i don't think so... it's advertising what it is, the perfect poker run boat.

should we word ads now to appease people who aren't going to purchase the boat?

they advertise street cars that go 180+ here in the states and there is no place to do that on the street? do you have a problem with that too?
Old 09-15-2006, 12:41 AM
Registered

Sean, you're still missing the point.............take my hand

I, personally, have no problem with the ad or speed so stop thinking its about me. Think about your sport.........surely, you could imagine some bereaucrat who has jurisdiction in the Lake Texoma area after having his constituents lobby him for outlawing poker runs use such an ad or other articles to "prove" what kind of speeds are used in PR's. If you have read anything I posted, you know I dont have a problem with speed...............until it affects the non-PR boating population.
Yes, 165 mph boat or 180mph car doesnt mean you have to run at that speed.......definitely not a new argument.....however perception is what you have to fight - not reality......I could keep typing but if you dont get it by now, you wont. Its all about taking a look at your sport from the outside - those who are capable of doing this and take appropriate action will save or even advance the sport - those who cant will assist in its death...which one are you..........
Old 09-15-2006, 12:46 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Quote:
Sean, you're still missing the point.............take my hand

I, personally, have no problem with the ad or speed so stop thinking its about me. Think about your sport.........surely, you could imagine some bereaucrat who has jurisdiction in the Lake Texoma area after having his constituents lobby him for outlawing poker runs use such an ad or other articles to "prove" what kind of speeds are used in PR's. If you have read anything I posted, you know I dont have a problem with speed...............until it affects the non-PR boating population.
Yes, 165 mph boat or 180mph car doesnt mean you have to run at that speed.......definitely not a new argument.....however perception is what you have to fight - not reality......I could keep typing but if you dont get it by now, you wont. Its all about taking a look at your sport from the outside - those who are capable of doing this and take appropriate action will save or even advance the sport - those who cant will assist in its death...which one are you..........
i am pretty sure i get what you are saying, i just don't agree... do i need to hold your hand to understand that? not everybody has to agree with you, and just because you say you are right, doesn't always mean it...

and back to the orginal point of this thread.... a governing board or just the total ban of poker runs won't stop groups of "poker runners" from getting together and running their boats at a good speed.... it's what they do.

should poker runs be more streamlined and have the same rules and enforcement, sure... but beyond that, i am not sure you can do much...
Old 09-15-2006, 12:54 AM
Registered

Quote:
should poker runs be more streamlined and have the same rules and enforcement, sure... but beyond that, i am not sure you can do much...
sean, we actually agree more than you realize........those are my words exactly many posts ago.......however, I followed with "and if we dont control ourselves, then others will do it for us". I believe a PR governing body is the only way to legitimize these runs and all respectable performance boaters should join, support and denounce all unsanctioned events. Its a start. ANd yes, there is nothing necessarily to stop the clandestine events.
I can guarantee you this.........a bunch of go-fast boaters with no respect for speed or others around them will be the quickest avenue for restrictions on all of us........nobody wins and I dont want to have to chase stripers around at a limited 35mph as some lakes have imposed.

Ok, lets stop holding hands...........people will talk.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:44 AM

Quote:

Think about your sport....
I was holding off judgement on you until I read this comment. I often question just how serious someone is when they don't even pony up and buy a membership.

Your statement is very telling. Freudian, if you will.

Maybe it's time for you to go.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:12 AM
Registered

My Boats: It'll Do - 2004 , 29'--Fountain

I personally like the idea of having a governing body similar to the AMA for which I was a member when I raced Motocross. I believe that it will help coordinate the standard of rules to be followed by PR organizer's and its participants as well. Then one can take the extra step of using this "PR membership" as a necessary step to be allowed to run in certain qualified PR membership events. If a person does not does not follow the safety rules then their card is pulled and therefore they can not run in any further PR sanctioned run's across the country. It think something like this could also lower our insurance as well. Just my thoughts.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:14 AM
Registered

Quote:
I don"t care what your posts say go away
I dont debate using dancing devils (or jalepenos depending what part of the country you are in). If you have something to debate, throw it out there and I will see if its worth my time.