Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Should we have an governing board for Poker Runs? >

Should we have an governing board for Poker Runs?

Notices

Should we have an governing board for Poker Runs?

Old 09-16-2006, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Should we have an governing board for Poker Runs?

This is a very premature parth to even discuss at this point in my opinion. From what I have been ablem to gather in terms of information about the recent accident, smart money says this was a catostrophic mecnanical failure based tragedy. I am not familiar with any anturity that can "govern" that.

Once the investigation is complete, we may have a beeter idea of how to take pro-active measures to prevent this from happening.

In racing, we have a pre-race inspections. Perhaps poker run promoters would be well advise to institute something similar assuming the recent events were mechanical based.

Gregg Reichman
Old 09-16-2006, 02:12 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cloke
Itilldo

What exactly do you disagree about what Tee4Texas just wrote.
I feel its exactly the point. Many people have said that we don't know what actually happened whether it be a mechanical failure ( which has not been proven) a poorly run event ,too much speed etc. etc.
What we do have is forums filled with challenges from one another about who is going to kick ass or videos of boats way too close to spectators at speed and that adds to PERCEPTION from anyone that has an interest in changing our hobby.
I have not seen TEXAS throwing rocks or being disrespectful to us that enjoy and or make a living from PR and fast boats.
Don't think even that you have to be an old time poker runner to have valid comments on something that involves organization , rules,personal responsibility and respect for fellow boaters on any lake anywhere.
We are now under a spotlight whether its proven that most events are responsibly run and attended by safe boaters or not and I've read same by TEXAS.
So he's here to add to the discussion with logic and concern which makes me wonder about your comment and all the other people that question his attendance.
Seems hes even payed just like the rest of us.
Yes, without question, I believe you must be a seasoned poker runner to make multiple, lengthy comments about this topic.

It would be like me going to an aviation forum and discussing an air show accident. It would be OK for me to ask questions, but foolish and ignorant to offer suggestions and insight about a topic I have no knowledge of. That is the problem here.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:15 PM
Registered

I assure you it was mechanical failure. What remains to be seen is whether it was caused by debris or natural failure. Do not bother asking how I know. I do. You will too, shortly. I still maintain (in lieu of my sadness) that poker runs are inherently safe in spite of the inherent visual danger from the galleries perspective. I know that statement is redundant but it runs in my family. Who am I to fight genetics?

I wouldn't throw a hissy fit over some minor voluntary class changes but creating a governing body only leads to government. That's how City Councils got started and God knows what cluster fu#ck those have become.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled soap opera.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:46 PM
cloke

Originally Posted by F-N-iGuy.com
Yes, without question, I believe you must be a seasoned poker runner to make multiple, lengthy comments about this topic.

It would be like me going to an aviation forum and discussing an air show accident. It would be OK for me to ask questions, but foolish and ignorant to offer suggestions and insight about a topic I have no knowledge of. That is the problem here.
Disagree somewhat because he's beyond commenting about the single event and has offered PERCEPTION as a point of consideration.
Taken to the extreme personal involvement as an entry criteria would eliminate every priest including the pope from preaching about marriage and raising kids. Way off topic; just seen the man get lambasted every post he puts up and haven't figured out why.
Don't want to distract from the topic at hand really enjoy OSO members and most of what I've seen and read so I don't want to be unwelcome myself.
Have been Poker Runner long time and really care about its existance.
Had major accident myself up here in 2003 which almost killed a few of us at speed.Determined no negligence through legal system but I still have 7.8 million in lawsuits aimed at my head.
Anyways you can tell the weather is #### or we'd be out boating now.
Hope we all stay safe and enjoy the toys we all love so much.

Old 09-16-2006, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Taken to the extreme personal involvement as an entry criteria would eliminate every priest including the pope from preaching about marriage and raising kids.

Way off topic; just seen the man get lambasted every post he puts up and haven't figured out why.
Correct on the extreme.

And because Tee is hitting the nail on the head in regards to lambasting.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:54 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Disagree somewhat because he's beyond commenting about the single event and has offered PERCEPTION as a point of consideration.
Taken to the extreme personal involvement as an entry criteria would eliminate every priest including the pope from preaching about marriage and raising kids. Way off topic; just seen the man get lambasted every post he puts up and haven't figured out why.
Don't want to distract from the topic at hand really enjoy OSO members and most of what I've seen and read so I don't want to be unwelcome myself.
Have been Poker Runner long time and really care about its existance.
Had major accident myself up here in 2003 which almost killed a few of us at speed.Determined no negligence through legal system but I still have 7.8 million in lawsuits aimed at my head.
Anyways you can tell the weather is #### or we'd be out boating now.
Hope we all stay safe and enjoy the toys we all love so much.
You're right about one thing................ I don't want to listen to a priest tell me anything marriage or kids. I still stand firm on my opinion of tee comments. But, hey, everyone knows I'm hard-headed.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Everybody wants to go faster but nobody wants to get hurt. It is a risk that is there whether in a race, poker run, or just running around by yourself. Boats are not meant for impact and will not stay together in such an accident. Rules would not have prevented the Texoma accident. If both boats were traveling at 100mph that is a combined speed of 200mph, if both boats were going 50mph that is still a combined speed of 100mph and fiberglass is not meant to hold up at that speed upon impact.
High performance boats are a risk just like motorcycles and fast cars. I don't know of a poker run accident where non participants were injured. When you step into one of these boats you know what can happen and a governing board will not change things.

Bottom line is a governing board will just inflate costs and will in turn put money in the pocket of those governing.

Last edited by DirtyMoney; 09-16-2006 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Can poker runs be made safer,not really,other than the obvious stuff which has already been implemented in past couple years-(life jackets,no alchohol,tethers etc). In the instance of the lake Texoma crash,none of these things were even a factor. I can tell you anyone that climbs in a boat that goes any kind of serious speed already knows it could be there last ride ever,if that thought doesn't cross your mind than your kidding yourself.Rudder shafts break,gimbals break,motors blow,things can be floating in the water that you can't see,sometimes things just happen. I wasn't at Texoma but from what I can see 2 boats were in each others safety envelope and something happened,weather it was a error in judgement or a mech failure,doesn't even matter now other than for the people involved that would like some closure.People die every weekend boating,swimming,skiing,snowmobiling,racing cars,whatever,it just happened this was a organized event and everyone -especially non boaters-wants to "do something" to give them some kind of a feeling they are going to stop future accidents. Guess what-you can regulate boating,limit poker runs,ban them,set speed limits,do whatever you want but boats are still going to have accidents once in a while,people are still going to die from boating just like every other sport. We have speed limits on all inland lakes in mi,doesn't stop us from going boating every weekend we can,going fast when we want to or racing each others boats. All we can really do is try to be safe when we are doing it and use our best judgement when near other boats. There is no magic answer other than staying home which I'm not about to do. I would call it pushing the envelope,anytime you push things to the edge in ANY kind of motorized vehicle and your not on a closed course you are flirting with your life and possibly others,even innocent non-participants. I choose to do it as most the rest of my fellow high performance boaters do,its the chance we take.
A big accident like the one that happened is rare,gets lots of attention and press but what you don't hear about are the other 25 people that probably died that same weekend thruout the us while boating from falling in and drownding,running into things in the dark,boats sinking,fires,accidents,capsizing etc,etc. I would also bet even more people died on the road during the holiday weekend while traveling to various places. You don't hear a whole lot about it though,just the big accidents-plane crashes,bus crashes etc because it gets your attention.Be careful boating,Smitty
Old 09-17-2006, 08:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by F-N-iGuy.com

That is what I'm talking about Bill. Why does Texas show up the day of the "post"? I personally think he has an agenda that is not totally in line with the members of this board. His words might sound trusting but I have seen another side of him that I believe that basically gives his hand as a Internet Troll, if you were.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:56 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
As I said before, I think this issue is being blown out of proportion. In well over 50 runs, I have never been to one poker run where there was any kind of major injury. I feel safer runnng next to the other guys in the poker run then I do passing a 23 foot bayliner or pontoon boat.
Down here in south Florida you hear of boating accidents on the news every week. 98% of the time they are small center consoles or 2 freighters running into each other. I harldy doubt any of these are in Poker runs or traveling at a high rate of speed. Accidents happen every day, they are accidents. The major poker runs have drivers meetings and go over the saftey issues. I know for a fact, Stu Jones has banned several people from his runs for not following rules.
Okay..... Bottom line.... keep this line of thought up and when insurance companies refuse to insure you and Poker runs...and the Coast Guard refuses to allow them and speed limits are 50 mph for all inland waterways....

Blame yourself.

This isn't about "accidents"..... this is about prevention...... and there is not enough prevention in today's performance boating world.... but there are plenty of excuses.....and excusers.

T2x

Quick Reply: Should we have an governing board for Poker Runs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.