Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Need Your Opinion - Marine Engines Inc - 1800runsnew (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/140587-need-your-opinion-marine-engines-inc-1800runsnew.html)

99fever27 09-15-2006 10:59 PM

Re: Need Your Opinion - Marine Engines Inc - 1800runsnew

Originally Posted by rbr2328
I have a 502 from them with several hundred hours on it and never a problem. I haven't even changed the oil on it in 2 years and about 150 hrs and still runs great. I have tried to break it by not maintaining it and still no problem.

Let me know when you put it up in the classifieds I may be interested!! :eek: :drink:

dean51267 09-15-2006 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by rush
Sorry about the use of the word luck,sounds like the engin was doomed when the builder put the last bolt in.

yal, I am almost certain the report from the consultant guy will say it was not cleaned well either in the assembly, or reassembly process.

Apparently there is some third part in the middle, they get motors, doctor them up, and this guy sells them as new.

I would imagine they have sold a LOT of motors, the vast majority good ones, hell, ne of the ones they sold me was good, they have likely sold enough good ones to justify being wary when a customer says one went down, but at some point you have to accept reality.... no one walks on water, and like ratman said, it is not your successes that tell us who you are, it is your failures....

My deal was pretty simple, I did not assemble or install it, so when it went down I said "do I have an assembly or install problem, or could it be something else". Then I hired people who are experts to tell me what they can prove, or not prove.

99fever27 09-16-2006 12:09 AM

This may be a dumb question but when a warranty is proclaimed by a builder, do you sign for said paid (guaranteed) warranty?

If so what is in the documentation of their warranty?

Just thinking out loud.

dean51267 09-16-2006 06:44 AM

their documentation is "manufacturers warranty". When I ordred the motors was told "complete GM Powertrain warranty", motors were drop shipped to installer, who uncrated and went to work. Only after motors were being installed did I find no warranty paperwork. Called Marine Engines, he said warranty on his website, so I go there, no find it, then I call back, about that time motor fails..........

Yes, I trusted and did not verify at every step. I should have known better...

ratman 09-16-2006 07:45 AM

they offer a 540 and 632 ci inch motor also, i was looking at a pair of thier 632ci engines im glad i passed on em

Biggus 09-16-2006 08:53 AM

Sorry about your troubles. I'm surprised to hear that they are giving you a hard time. Over the years, I've bought 5 engines from Marine Engines in Holliston and had nothing but good things to say about them. The've always worked as expected (even better) and delivery was right on time. Many shops up here have done business with them also. No problems. I don't know what to say...

dean51267 09-16-2006 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Biggus
Sorry about your troubles. I'm surprised to hear that they are giving you a hard time. Over the years, I've bought 5 engines from Marine Engines in Holliston and had nothing but good things to say about them. The've always worked as expected (even better) and delivery was right on time. Many shops up here have done business with them also. No problems. I don't know what to say...

yal, I checked around too, everyone seemed happy, did not find anyone who had a motor fail........ I know they have sold a LOT of motors..... if most were not good ones they would never have made it as far as they have....

the engine guy who did failure analysis said it looks like the block was cast, and then not cleaned throughly, like something stuck in an oil passage and did not come out in the cleaning process. I do not doubt for a second it was a fluke, unintentional, and probably rare, which is why so much research went into finding the problem.

All I know, his reason for a failed motors is crazy, and anyone who knows anything about a motor knows it.

el indio 09-16-2006 06:55 PM

do not know of your supplyer but remember, a boat motor builder can build a car motor but a car motor builder can not necessarilly build a BOAT motor!!!!!!!!!!!!!