Notices

Who/what is to blame??

Old 09-18-2006, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who/what is to blame??

Sorry for the long post. I had the complete top end of my carbed 454 rebuilt about 2 weeks ago, and have had it out twice since I got it back. The first time out, ran great. The wife and I could smell a burnt plastic smell in the cockpit area. I opened the hatch and didnt smell anything down there, so we just attributed it to a smell from shore because we were cruising the shoreline checking out some waterfront houses. So, took it out again this past saturday, ran great. Anchored up to the sandbar, hung out for a bit. Went to leave, and the shifter handle would move effortlessly, and wouldnt go in to gear. Opened the hatch, and reached back to where the shifter cable goes out to the outdrive, and it was worn completly through, because it had rubbed on the shaft to the outdrive. My question is, is the mechanic to blame for not tying it back up and out of the way correctly, or do I attribute it to normal wear and tear? Thanks for the input.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Who/what is to blame??

I think it would be hard to blame it on the machanic. Did he replace the cable when they did the rebuild? or is it the original one? No telling how long it was rubbing on the shaft. Just my .02
Old 09-18-2006, 08:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SKRAMER
I think it would be hard to blame it on the machanic. Did he replace the cable when they did the rebuild? or is it the original one? No telling how long it was rubbing on the shaft. Just my .02
No, the cable wasnt replaced, but it was moved/removed to get the heads ect. off to work on. Ive never smelled the plastic smell before I got it back, so it seems like it is a new problem, but who knows.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:17 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Tough call on that one. Maybe you can work out a deal with him were you buy the parts and he installs it.

Jon
Old 09-18-2006, 08:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Tough call on that one. Maybe you can work out a deal with him were you buy the parts and he installs it.

Jon
I think thats my plan of attack right now, but I was just curious to see what others take was on it.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:57 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,090 Likes on 1,392 Posts

More than anything - it stinks it happened because it leaves you kind of stranded.

Yes, it prob is fault of installer/repairer..........but, these should be replaced / checked every so often because they do have a tendency to wear and break on their own.

Relatively easy and cheap fix - well, should be. Local places here wanted $400 or more to do this with new shift bellow. Only took me about an hour or two of time and $120 in parts.

Side benefit is a new cable will make your shifting smoother than you'd ever imagine.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
More than anything - it stinks it happened because it leaves you kind of stranded.

Yes, it prob is fault of installer/repairer..........but, these should be replaced / checked every so often because they do have a tendency to wear and break on their own.

Relatively easy and cheap fix - well, should be. Local places here wanted $400 or more to do this with new shift bellow. Only took me about an hour or two of time and $120 in parts.

Side benefit is a new cable will make your shifting smoother than you'd ever imagine.
Yeah, was kinda stranded but luckily a friend was on the lake for the tow. I guess Ill talk to my mechanic, and see what he has to say, and go from there. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Maybe you can work out a deal with him were you buy the parts and he installs it.
I think thats fair.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BajaRunner
I think thats fair.
Well, just got off the phone with my mechanic, and he wasnt so sympathetic. He tells me the cable was probably routed wrong in the first place, so it wasnt his fault. It almost came to sound like he knew there was a problem, but didnt let me know about it. He thinks someone probably replaced it before I got it, and didnt route it the correct way. Anyone have a schematic of how these are supposed to be routed? Thanks.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DURANGOKID59
Well, just got off the phone with my mechanic, and he wasnt so sympathetic. He tells me the cable was probably routed wrong in the first place, so it wasnt his fault. It almost came to sound like he knew there was a problem, but didnt let me know about it. He thinks someone probably replaced it before I got it, and didnt route it the correct way. Anyone have a schematic of how these are supposed to be routed? Thanks.
By and large my experience has been that most marina mechanics do not do anything they are not told. Never are they going to tell you something is about to go out, put together incorrectly etc. Ask them to have the heads rebuilt, they do it and it gets done. Do they tell you about the fan-belt that is about to snap, no. Do they tell you that a hose is about to leak, no. It's just been my experience that they won't correct anything that is not on the work order. A very event driven profession. Just my experience though.

good luck and hope it all works out to your satisfaction.

Quick Reply: Who/what is to blame??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.