Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Should we have an governing board for Poker Runs? >

Should we have an governing board for Poker Runs?

Notices

Should we have an governing board for Poker Runs?

Old 09-14-2006, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should we have an governing board for Poker Runs?

I will lay my head right down on the chopping block and ask the question.

Should Poker Run contenders step up and form a national board to set the standards and rules for events nationwide?

Are we concerned that if we don’t, the government will?

Will this help with insurance for such events?

Would it make you feel more comfortable running in such an event, or would you care either way?
I am not one to give up freedoms and liberties to the government when they could be protected just as well by a small delegated group. I am only concerned about the writing on the wall with such events happening as they are.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Should we have an governing board for Poker Runs?

IMVHO, there already is, and it's called racing. The safety rules around racing are there for a reason.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:15 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Ummm.....NO. I'd be willing to bet that poker runs will be outlawed before long. Let's just all hope that no one else loses their life before it happens! Remember when the muscle cars became extinct???

This is just my opinion, but.....this is how it seems to me. Poker runs are supposed to be a fun thing and for 95% (probably more than 95%) of the people who do them, it is a fun thing. There seems to be a small (very small percentage-wise) group of people who have the need to be the "Big Dog" at every poker run that I've ever been to. It doesn't make these people bad people, it's what they like to do! But, It seems to me that this group has grown over the last three years or so. Nobody can look me in the eye and tell me that they didn't see it coming what happened at Smoke on the water last year. The availability of fast boats to anyone who can write the check or get financed has gotten out of control. It's either going to have to be regulated by the boat dealers (not going to happen) or by the state or Federal gov'ts. If that doesn't happen.....then insurance will become sooo expensive that only the ultra-rich (and I mean ULTRA-RICH) will be in fast boats.

Like I said, just my opinion.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:21 PM
Registered

Not only the insurance for the boats goes up, but the event itself must be insured. So before the events become outlawed or extinct, how do we save them?
Old 09-14-2006, 04:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You put your head on the block- I will too.

Any boat that is capable of exceeding a certain speed should only be piloted by a licenced high-performance captain who has specific, exhaustive training. The speed he's permitted to operate should be commensurate his years of issue-free operation. The USCG could administer and run it in conjunction with private schools. Zero-tolerance on alcohol use and unsafe operation with lifetime bans. One potential positive is that insurance costs might stabilize once a higher caliber of operator is better ensured.

Commercial drivers are subject to much more stringent requirements as the potential for catastrophe is greater- why not performance boats?

Self-policing probably won't work. Poker runs are so popular in part because the "cost of participation" is lower. You make one poker run more responsible (i.e.- more rules) the participants would likely seek out another one that's more fun.

Flame on!
Old 09-14-2006, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have to say yes. It should be done. Or somthing like it anyway before the gov stepps in ans does it for us.In the last thread on tis subject Fred (trick) had a good idea about putting togeater a group of about 10 to 12 people in the industry to come up with standerd rules. it was the best one that I got out of that thread. its not just the speeds and someone wanting to be top dog.we need rules/laws ect and live by them and enforce them also.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:51 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

No governing board, no licensing, no useless government interference. That's opening up a Pandora's box of crap that would only keep on stinking. Free America, recreational freedom on the nation's waterway's, period! Police yourselves, police your own events, help enforce the laws already in place. Why is it that boaters can't have accidents like every single other machine driven activity in the world without the outcry for more da@mned laws?! If it's Poker Run safety everyone is worried about how about this novel idea....LIMIT THE NUMBER OF BOATS EPECIALLY ON SMALL VENUES LIKE LAKES & RIVERS!!!! No additional law needed.

That's my thoughts on extra laws and regulations period!
Old 09-14-2006, 05:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RHC
No way ,,, No How ,,, and Stay out of my Life!!!! Sorry Guys,,, to be crass,,, its called thinning the herd!!

Chris ,, you want Hi Performance Licensing ,,, Every rich guy buying a boat will just Buy the License from the Manufact or the dealer selling the boats,,,, remember,, everyone knows someone!!

It has to be self accountable actions that make the rules,,,,

and ,,, take the big fast boats offshore where they belong ,,, thats why all the inland lakes have a problem with noise and speed,,,

Leave the 95-98% of the safe boaters alone !!!!

RHC
I have to agree but its that 2 to 5% that are going to f##& it up for the rest of us. so to keep the gov out'a it don't you think we should do somthing first? you know it is just a matter of time before they do. I don't want speed limits or rules or regs but if they get there lyin cheatn theiven hands in it we will loose it all
Old 09-14-2006, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We don't need a committee, or board of directors, or anything else handed down from the Gov't/Authorities to tell us what to do.

This is the biggest problem I see in America today, and it has nothing to do with Poker Runs (soon to be banned or regulated), or anything else that has been banned (um... drag racing - the death of muscle cars) or regulated ( um... seatbelts).

It comes down to ACCOUNTABILITY.

Anymore, no one is held accountable for there own actions anymore.

My analogies may not be the best examples, but the last thing I want is for this to be regulated by the Gov't. It's the last freedom I think we truly have.
Most of us know what the right thing to do on the water is - and if you don't, you better learn, because if you don't, it's the responsibility of the rest that do to educate you, and your education should result in not being invited to attend certain events - such as Poker Runs.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:01 PM
Registered

Bouyhunter,
'Exactly, but the committee, or board of directors does not have to be handed down if it already exists on a private level.
I am if anyone could, would or has the abuility to form an association comprised of boaters before we have one comprised of government elected officials.

Quick Reply: Should we have an governing board for Poker Runs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.