Notices

$MC Club is @ it again

Old 09-21-2006, 12:07 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts
Angry $MC Club is @ it again

Lack of Grant boat ramp upsets residents

About 30 south county residents have met with Parks and Recreation Department officials to discuss the incomplete Grant boat ramp.

The $5.5 million project, first announced in 2000, is one of 28 parks projects unfinished since the county spent most of the $73 million it borrowed six years ago.

Don Lusk, interim director of the Parks and Recreation Department, said the ramp will be built eventually. It has been designed, he said, and is in the midst of the permitting process. That didn’t satisfy the crowd.

“We are tired of being at the end of the train wreck,” said Jamie Seymour, who served on the South County Referenum Advisory Board. “We feel cheated.”

County commissioners are considering placing a $36 million bond referendum on the November ballot to help complete the ramp and other park projects. By a 4-1 vote, the commission earlier this year approved spending the money, but that has not happened because of legal wrangling.

Legal Wrangling is the $MC is fighting the ramp permit!!!

Dean

Last edited by Dean Ferry; 09-21-2006 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:33 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Default Re: $MC Club is @ it again

And for you folks in Broward, look out, here comes the $MC again! This of the $MC website today!

Ask Commissioners To Reject
Boat Facility Siting Plan!
Send A Quick Online Letter To Help Manatees By September 26th

The Issue:
After more than 15 years of waiting, Broward County finally has a final draft boat facility siting plan (BFSP) that is going before the Board of Commissioners on September 26. This purpose of this plan is to provide protection for manatees by directing development to areas of the county's shoreline where there would be the least amount of conflict with boating activity. Unfortunately, the marina siting outcomes in this plan are based on what the marine industry representatives want, not what manatees need.

For more information on the extreme weaknesses of this BFSP, read Save the Manatee Club's formal comment letter (pdf)

Subject: Reject Boat Facility Siting Plan

Dear Commissioner,

I am asking you to reject the boat facility siting plan for Broward County as it will not adequately protect manatees that use the county waterways.

South Broward waterways are the worst place in the county to build an additional 5,000 boat slips! The data show that the Dania Cutoff Canal and the New River are highly used by manatees, especially in winter months when they are using the two power plants as warm water refuges.

In addition, slip pooling is a really bad idea because deciding where to locate a boating facility should be based on scientific data and the specific features of the actual site. Proximity to warm water refuges, high watercraft-related manatee mortality, and high manatee use make an area a terrible place for a marina!

Finally, a Manatee Protection Plan should be more than just a Boat Facility Siting Plan. The county needs to develop elements of the MPP that address habitat protection, law enforcement, and education/public awareness, at the very least.

I wish you folks, in Broward Co., the best of luck down there

Hell, we are going to need some luck, I'm getting ready to put in a second lift for the Seadoo jet boat! And I wonder if I should or should not apply for a permit!
My neighbor down the street, is good buddies with someone in the county permitting office, I think I'll buy 12 pack of beer and go see my neighbor.
Dean
Old 09-22-2006, 11:26 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

TTT, I thought the OSOer's from south florida might be interested in this.

Oh well, don't ***** if the $MC gets their way.
Dean
Old 09-22-2006, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We care Dean, keep it up. Before I can apply for a permit for a lift I have to get past the homeowners association though, which is proving to be impossible and the nor-tech might go becasue of it.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:24 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by LostinBoston
We care Dean, keep it up. Before I can apply for a permit for a lift I have to get past the homeowners association though, which is proving to be impossible and the nor-tech might go becasue of it.

Well LB,
Isn't your condo deeded with a slip? Let me guess, the deed doesn't say anything about being able to install a lift?
I would think that the home owners association would like a lift being installed, it just increases yours, (and everyone else's property values?!)
Good luck, and if have any Q's, you know how to get hold of me.
How's life in central Fl treating you?
Dean
Old 09-25-2006, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

$ave the Manatee CLUB is out of control....this is a freakin CLUB! I hate these f*ckers.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:34 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by FeverMike
$ave the Manatee CLUB is out of control....this is a freakin CLUB! I hate these f*ckers.

Mike,
i hate them too, but they are not a CLUB anymore! They are lawsuit slinging machine that is out of control!!!
Dean
Old 09-25-2006, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the news Dean. We've got to keep up the fight! Support Standing Watch and CFFW.