Like Tree0Likes

UPDATE! Opinions Wanted - Donzi Severely Blistering

Old 10-18-2001, 11:36 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boats: '88 Formula F-206 LS
What an idea!
Trailer that thing down to Miami or the nearest show that Donzi will be at and park it as close to the entrance as possible.
That'll get'em going.

I remember years ago, back before the current lemon laws, a guy bought a new Honda Civic and it turned out to be a piece of junk. He rented a lot across the street from the dealer and parked it on a trailer with a big lemon on the side along with a banner saying how bad the dealer was. That dealer tried everything he could think of to have that car removed, police, courts, etc. It was in the local papers at lest once a week. In the end they had to give the guy a new car, no charge.
Old 10-18-2001, 11:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boats: '88 Formula F-206 LS
Want to read some more Donzi complaints?
Go to http://www.boatus-forum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/000505.html
I am shocked at the number of complaints and the shoddy workmanship performed. One person had 36 items to be repaired and this was a 1997 model.

[ 10-18-2001: Message edited by: Iggy ]
Old 10-18-2001, 12:05 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: Batboat, 38 Scarab Thunder, 16 Sidewinder, 27 Magnum
here,s a link to some tech stuff on trouble shooting gel and glass problems http://www.fibreglast.com/Bro%2520470Gelcoat.htm note that #9 on gel coat blisters caused by water imersion. all these causes are at the factory level.sorry donzi that i had to ad this , i stil think you build a great boat but you gotta get your ducks in a row if your gonna charge those kinda $$$$$$$$.
Old 10-18-2001, 12:50 PM
stingray

Thanks GlassDave & Iggy, these sites you gave are lending more and more credence to the fact it's got to be bad gel/resin mix that did it. Donzi, a great company with a marvelous history has made a huge judgement mistake on this guy's problem. If they were doing better sales wise (perhaps they should place more realistic prices on their boats) I bet they would've jumped all over settling out on this. Whatever possible new folks they have there now wearing the white shirts & ties making the decisions, they need to re-examine their employment status. They are apparently marketing idiots!!

There is one thing for certain, all the smaller manufacturers on the rise reputation and sales wise, are frothing at the mouth in anticipation of the crossover sales they're gonna get over this...

Old 10-18-2001, 01:15 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: Batboat, 38 Scarab Thunder, 16 Sidewinder, 27 Magnum
this whole thing kinda reminds me of what harley davidson went through back in the 70's & 80's,and look at what thay have done .i raelly dont want to see donzi go the wayside because of problems like this.i gotta tel ya,
i had a chance to drive a 38 zx w/hp600's and up until that point,i didnt know you could go that fast in that much comfort.i was impressed.the other thing about gel coat most people dont know is that yoo can build 2 boats using meterials out of the same drums and have 2 different compositions.the way gel/fiberglass/resin work togather is EXTREMELY dependant on the laminating schedule,how they are mixed(% MEK),mil thickness,time frames during laminating...etc.alot of care has to be taken at the earliest stages of the boat building process.you cant just dump meterials in a mold and not expect to have problems later.who knows maybe the laminators just had a bad day,but it comes down to quality control plain and simple.

[ 10-18-2001: Message edited by: glassdave ]

[ 10-18-2001: Message edited by: glassdave ]
Old 10-18-2001, 01:38 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

My Boats: 27' Scarab
i want to appologize for mentioning that donzi was owned by the same company as bayliner, i coud lsee how that could be considered an insult. The local bayliner dealer has recently started to sell donzi's and i figured it as quite a jump from a bayline rto a donzi o i put 2 and 2 together and came up with 3 my bad. Sorry.
Old 10-18-2001, 01:46 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

My Boats: '00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
I would like hear more from Donzi other than they are aware of the problem. All the info presented here appears to point towards a defective product.
Given the experience HRPA members have w/ Donzi customer service; there MUST be more to this. All my experience would indicate that if this situation is as it appears, Donzi (or any reputable MFG) would have handled it.
The offer, I think, is a joke. All they appear to be doing is selling a boat at their cost (maybe) and hpoing the problem will go away.
I am all for Chris IF this is as it appears.
Chris, what are the OTHER details that Donzi alludes to? Surely you know them? Your response either way will help clue us in.
Old 10-18-2001, 02:21 PM
stingray

Absolutely Bill. I think we've kicked this puppy enough with our assumptions and speculations. Chris, are you able to divulge a few things more about Donzi's reply and current stance? If so, what's their argument besides the warranty literature?

Also, no matter what, I bet they insist on a gag order on the details of whatever transpires....

[ 10-18-2001: Message edited by: Reckless288 ]

Old 10-18-2001, 03:56 PM
Donzi33ZX
Gold Member

My Boats: 2003 Donzi 33ZX
When one person tells you something smells like **** you nod and smile.
When two people tell you something smells like **** you wonder if it is your butt.
When a bunch of folks tell you something smells like ****, you change your drawers.

I smell something! Where is the smell coming from. I look forward to reading more and forming my own opinion.

I still say let a judge decide, if Chris is correct he handled it correctly, if he does not Donzi did. Something to ponder for sure.

Hi to the HRPA brothers!
Bryan

www.hrpa.homestead.com/homepage.html

[ 10-18-2001: Message edited by: Donzi 22ZX ]
Old 10-18-2001, 04:41 PM
Registered

A response to Mike Millers post at donzi.net.

Mike Miller States: "I appreciate all of your guys' concern and support regarding Donzi and the Blister Boy. As I posted in the ASK DONZI section, we have been and still are working with this gentlemen."

Mike, thank you for stooping to the level of name calling. It says a lot about your company and it’s representatives. Although the nickname you proliferate is cute, I think a more accurate nickname would be Defective Gelcoat Donzi Guy.

Please review my complete log (below) of communications between Donzi and I since I launched my website, I’m sure you will notice that there has been no further contact from your company since June 13, 2001. Is that your definition of "still working with this gentleman"? There is nothing here that could possibly be relevant except that it strongly supports my position that negotiations appear to have ended.

Mike Miller States: "We have had correspondence that he does not tel you about and there are issues that you and most others are unaware of. So for now, just know that we are not sitting on our laurels."

Regarding correspondence, see complete log below. Everything relevant has been made publicly available on my website.

Furthermore, I myself am unaware of the issues you reference. In my opinion, it’s a diversion tactic. Would you be professional enough to mail, e-mail or phone me to let me know what those issues might be? I would like to hear about any issues with my defective gelcoat problem that you might be trying to blame on me. Are you saying I mixed the defective gelcoat at your factory? Are you saying I applied the defective gelcoat in your mold? What exactly are you saying? Of course, your comment regarding these issues may in fact point to internal issues at Donzi Marine as others have eluded to.

What most current and potential Donzi customers want to hear is your reaction to the joint survey. How do you defend the confirmed defective gelcoat found throughout my boat?

Chris

COMPLETE correspondence history with Donzi Marine since launch of website (no prior contact previously):

Early Jun 2001 I received a phone call from Tony I, Donzi Customer Service.
Content: A voice conversation discussing my situation. Tony asked for an e-mail from me outlining what would "make me happy". There were no parameters given. Just a blanket request for "what would make me happy".

5 Jun 2001 From: me. To: Tony I, Donzi Customer Service.
Content: A text e-mail outlining what would "make me happy". As a starting position in the negotiation, without any parameters given, I set a high mark.

11 Jun 2001 From: me To: Tony I, Donzi Customer Service.
Content: A text e-mail from me asking Tony to confirm he has received my "make me happy" note.

11 Jun 2001 From: Toni I., Donzi Customer Service. To: me.
Content: A text e-mail confirming that Tony had received my note.

13 Jun 2001 From: Jim Martin, Director Donzi Customer Service. To: me.
Content: A text e-mail containing an MS Word document with Donzi’s sole "proposal" - document available on my website (converted to ASCII text). To me, in this negotiation, Jim set the low mark in his "proposal" and my hope was to strike a compromise between the two positions during future phases of the negotiation. However, there have been no future phases of negotiations. Additionally, Jim stated his preferred method of communication was through e-mail.

14 June 2001 From: me. To: Jim Martin, Director Donzi Customer Service.
Content: A text e-mail confirming that I received Jim’s "proposal" and I was evaluating it.

19 June 2001 From: me. To: Jim Martin, Director Donzi Customer Service.
Content: A text e-mail turning down their "proposal" - available on my website. This note also contains my current position in reference to a replacement boat. Later (see 24 July 2001 entry below), I try to explore option number 2 of his "proposal" regarding repairing my boat.

25 June 2001 From: me. To: Jim Martin, Director Donzi Customer Service.
Content: A text e-mail asking Jim to confirm he has received my response to his "proposal".

2 July 2001 From: me. To: Jim Martin, Director Donzi Customer Service.
Content: A text e-mail asking Jim to confirm he has received my response to his "proposal".

10 July 2001 From: me. To: Jim Martin, Director Donzi Customer Service.

17 July 2001 from me to Tony I, Donzi Customer Service
Content: A text e-mail letting Tony know that I have not received a response from Jim. I also asked if he could do anything to jump-start the negotiations as they have appeared to have died.

24 July 2001 From: me. To: Jim Martin, Director Donzi Customer Service
Content: A text e-mail to Jim sending him the survey (attached as a MS Word document) and asking for a detailed plan to repair my boat since we seem to be unable to agree on a replacement. Their surveyor should have furnished the survey to them but I was not sure he had. I stated that I haven’t posted the joint survey on my website since I felt that there was still a chance to negotiate a resolution.

10 October 2001 From: me. To: Jim Martin, Director Donzi Customer Service CC: Toni I, Donzi Customer Service; Mike, M, Director Donzi Marketing; Lee K, Donzi CEO.
Content: A text e-mail letting Jim know that I was posting the results of the joint survey to my website on 10/12/2001. All, e-mails bounced back stating "unable to deliver".

11 October 2001 From: me. To: Jim Martin, Director Donzi Customer Service (trying different e-mail address possibilities) CC: Toni I, Donzi Customer Service; Mike, M, Director Donzi Marketing; Lee K, Donzi CEO
Content: A text e-mail letting Jim know that I was posting the results of the joint survey to my website on 10/12/2001. E-mails did not bounce, however I received no response.