UPDATE!  Opinions Wanted - Donzi Severely Blistering >

UPDATE! Opinions Wanted - Donzi Severely Blistering

Notices

UPDATE! Opinions Wanted - Donzi Severely Blistering

Old 10-25-2001, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

AF, I found your original post in the thread, I had originally thought your post was the one Iggy was refering to above.
My bad.
Also no bong needed when you've got canadian beer.

blue-llama
PS: thanks for the stereo tips on D.net, do you ship out of state ?

**edited because I can't spell**

[ 10-25-2001: Message edited by: blue-llama ]
Old 10-25-2001, 09:48 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I do ship out of state. If you need stuff give me a call. (978) 985-0639 and I would be happy to help you out. I can offer very good prices but I do not stock so if speed is a need then I am not your guy. However if you want quality stuff at a good price then I can definatly help ya out.

Jon
Old 10-25-2001, 11:11 AM
Wild Horses

Mikev.... quotes ...

I highly doubt any other manufactuer would give soemone a brand new boat to replace a 5yr old one with blisters at no cost. if anyone knows of one who has I would like to know I would buy one of ther boats in a second. I Highly doubt if any manufacturer of any product would replace a 5yr old product with a new one becuse it is defective.

Well here is an example of who would... Maxum - that's who. I hit a dead head with my 2 year old boat, 21' Maxum. Cracked it right down the middle. It was sent back to the factory for repair over the winter where blistering of the top deck and hull was found. The boat was replaced.... free of charge. Maxum swapped the engine and interior into a new shell. Shipping was free. I was one happy customer.

Old 10-25-2001, 11:36 AM
stingray

Donzi22:
Hopefully you're not saying that if you have a mfr. bulletin board that you have a lot of problems?!!!! If that's case NO, not to my knowledge does Sunsation have a board and YES, we're all 100% satisfied....

Not to mention that "IF" you're building quality boats you AIN'T got time for dorking around with building a bulletin board. If the Sunsation owners want to talk boats they'll talk here where it's OFFSHOREONLY baby!!!!....

OBTW, I heard where there may be a slightly used 26ZX that might have a little repair done soon and could go for an even better price than the one you're looking at. Right Chris? I think a good Donzi man would jump all over that....hehehehe

Rick
www.HRPA.homestead.com/homepage.html

Old 10-25-2001, 12:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some of you guys said most manufacturers don't warrenty their boats for much more than a year. Well, I went through the OSO Links list looking at 10 manufacturer pages and only 3 of those listed their warrenty. Those were:
Active Thunder - Limlted Lifetime warrenty
Advantage - 3 years but unclear on hull warrenty
Formula - 5 years

You would think that all manufacturers would be proud to show how they back their product. For many people that's a major consideration when shopping for a boat.
Old 10-25-2001, 12:25 PM
kook

Thumbs up

http://www.sunsationboats.com/discussion/

Not much there yet.........

Old 10-25-2001, 12:51 PM
Registered

The hull warranty on advantage is for 5 years. You made me find my literature stuffed in the back of my desk drawer.
Old 10-25-2001, 01:38 PM
Registered

UPDATE: Donzi has come back to the table.

After four plus months of not hearing from them I received a call from Dick Marvin - Donzi’s NEW Director of Customer Service. We had a good conversation and he seemed to be a very nice and professional individual and expressed a desire to do "whatever it takes" to get this matter resolved.

----My notes from our conversation follows----

22 October 2001 I received a voice message at my home number from Dick Marvin NEW Director Donzi Customer Service. He asked that I call him back.

24 October 2001 I called Dick Marvin back at Donzi Marine. He was at lunch and I left a message with the operator that I was returning his call.

24 October 2001 Dick Marvin called me back and he stated that he wanted to get my boat down to Florida to see about repairing it. I indicated that I was concerned about a repair but they should have the opportunity and I asked exactly how that would work. Dick stated that he could not pay for the whole cost of transporting it but would be willing to split ("or maybe more") the cost of the transportation. He asked me to get some quotes on the cost of transporting it and he would do the same.

I questioned him to see if he understood that the scope of the defect is not limited to just where it is blistering but it is in the defective gelcoat of the boat throughout? He stated he did not. He indicated that he missed that part in the joint survey.

I proposed that since Donzi and I seem to be unable to agree on a replacement boat and in my opinion a repair would be too costly, I would be interested in them buying my boat back from me, but he only responded that he wanted to get the boat down to Florida to see if it can be fixed.

I asked if they could send someone to Texas and make a determination before it was transported to Florida and apparently that is not logistically possible for Donzi at this time.

I asked if he knew of any qualified repair facilities either here in Austin or Houston that could do the work and he indicated that he did not.

----End of notes. ----

I’ve never been in a situation like this so I would appreciate constructive input on the following questions/concerns:

What are my "rights" in a situation like this?
Do I just give them my boat and hope they do the right thing? Should I/How can I protect myself?
Should I be worried?
Should I be paying for a portion of the transportation costs? If so, anyone know what that cost might be (Central TX - Sarasota, FL is about 1,250 miles)?

My concerns are:
Can the boat even be repaired?
Is the repair outlined in the survey cost prohibitive?
If (that’s a big if) the problem is only localized to the defective gelcoat, I’m guessing they will have to remove the hardware (drive, thru-hull tips, trim tabs, cleats, rub rail, hatch, ladder, nav. light, transom light), strip off all the gelcoat on the bottom of the hull, the sides of the hull, the transom, the deck and the top of the rear bench seat, see if there are problems with the laminate underneath, reapply gelcoat to areas before mentioned, reattach hardware and repaint graphics. Am I missing anything? Sounds like a lot of expensive (labor intensive) work to me.

Lets explore this scenario. So my boat gets to Florida, they see the extent of the defect. Decide it would cost too much money to repair. Try to up sell me into a replacement (of which, I simply cannot afford at this time - note the economy). They have not expressed any interest in buying it back at this time. Now what?

Any other comments/ideas/opinions?

Regards,
Chris
Old 10-25-2001, 01:43 PM
stingray

Sunsation is five years.....Oh yeah, and DaveSunsation is not bad to have around either...

I'm going to that site Kook listed to see how many dissatisfied folks are sqawking on there...

Rick
www.HRPA.homestead.com/homepage.html

Old 10-25-2001, 02:12 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Well I hate to say it but at some time you are going to ahve to take the plung on this one. As far as your boat being repaired correctly. Any fiberglass boat can be repaired from any damage, the issue is of course the cost. Is it worth it to fix. From the pictures that I have seen I think not but that is a decision that ONLY Donzi can come up with, as it is them that has to pay the bill. I would guess that your round trip bill on your boat for shipping will be around 2-2500 bucks. I would get a lawer to outline the terms of this transaction due to the already tennuous situation that you guys are in. It will cost you around 100-400 bucks to have an agreement on time, costs and such before the boat EVER leaves your control. This is something that you will have to discus with Donzi first as far as what the time line would be. Since this is a new guy try your best to start over with him. I had such a misserable time with IBM and my computer however once they got me a new person things started to go better. She asked me to do things that I had already done a million times before but I did them anyhow. We put a time line on getting my computer fixed. We worked out a special warrantee if the computer broke again. We layed everything out. The end result was that the computer did fail again and persuent to our agreement IBM gave me my money back and SAVED my opinion of them. Now at this time I would in fact consider at some time perhaps buying another IBM were as before there was no way. Anyhow the moral of the story is start over with this guy on a clean slate. Get it ALL in writing, and see if they are willing to guarantee the repairs that they make if that is the decision that they want to go with. If they can not repair your hull then what, so they buy it back, discounted for your time that you did get to use it, or do they put you in a new hull and swap as much of your hardware over to the new one as they can. That is btwn the two of you. Also if they are not willing to fly to you, flights are cheap. Once they get possesion of your boat tell them that you are willing to fly out there and go over the boat with them, the two of you can hire independent surveyors to again come out to look at the boat at the same time again and you all can hear what they have to say in person all together. The flight sould not be more then 200 bucks and as we al know it is always better to deal face to face. Glad they are working with you again and I hope that things start to change.

Jon

Quick Reply: UPDATE! Opinions Wanted - Donzi Severely Blistering

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.