Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
For those of you that have switched from an Offshore to... >

For those of you that have switched from an Offshore to...

Notices

For those of you that have switched from an Offshore to...

Old 09-27-2006, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those of you that have switched from an Offshore to...

Just wondering, how many of ya'll have switched from an Offshore style stern drive boat to a Offshore center console style boat with outboards?

What are your comments, likes, dislikes?

How do you like the outboards vs stern drives?

It seems like some of the Offshore style center consoles (like Marlago, Intrepid, Donzi etc..) offer alot more deck space for friends and family yet still offer a decent forward cabin (in some of the models) to get out of the sun or rain (or whatever). I'm sure it would be hard to get these Centers to run with some of the stern drives speed wise (unless you can afford triples or quads! ).

Thanks
Old 09-27-2006, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: For those of you that have switched from an Offshore to...

Ive had the thought go through my head before.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:36 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,194 Likes on 519 Posts

I have a friend that is going thru this right now. He is selling his 100mph 388 Hustler in favor of a 36 Concept with outboards. He lives on the gulf and depending on the tide, water depth in the channel out to the deep water can be two feet. He has plenty of water in the canal behind his house; its getting out to the gulf that is the problem area; and not well suited for 3' draft or better sterndrives. I can't blame him. I like the go-fast center console arrangement too, and if I had a place on the water where the boat was lift kept over saltwater; I would have to have a platform lift so I could safely and easily wash the boat. With a center console and floor drains; and all gelcoat, a mild pressure washer would do the task of the salt water ridance aside from flushing the motors.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

If someone built a 32-34' center console with a small cuddy up front, 3 formed seats at the stern with handles, 2 formed seats in front of the center console, and 2 bolsters behind the wheel that topped out in the mid 80's I would buy it. sterndrive or OB.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:39 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,194 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by century29
If someone built a 32-34' center console with a small cuddy up front, 3 formed seats at the stern with handles, 2 formed seats in front of the center console, and 2 bolsters behind the wheel that topped out in the mid 80's I would buy it. sterndrive or OB.
Concept and Midnight Express could both handle that task; albeit might need to be a 36-38 footer.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:40 PM
Registered

If you've been around here for a while (and I think YOU have), you've seen an increasing interest in center console boats; all the way from the little, less expensive, mass-production stuff with one or two O/B's to large, custom built Midnights with quad Verados.

The reasons you mention are frequent; space, usability, reliability, party-friendliness, etc, as well as the rapidly decreasing public image of so-called Offshore boats. (So-called because so many of them never see salt water, and the way many of their drivers perform so punkishly when they finally live out their little dream and actually get to an offshore rally or poker run.)

There is very definitely a maturing process occurring, with some, as always, being ahead of the masses. And that process leads one to understand that boating is about being on the water with good friends just for the sake of being on the water. Ego, top speed, and the flashiest colors have nothing to do with being a seaman, and once one "gets it", offshore boats with limited space, limited usability, very limited reliability (what small percentage of the members here would jump in their boat on a moment's notice and take their family 100 miles offshore?), fall way down on the list of boating options.

The fact that so many folks on here continually display attitudes of selfishness (such as "who do those other boaters on "our lake", or "our ocean" for that matter, think they are to get in the way of "our" poker run?), phoney exclusivity (such as "if you're not part of "our OSO family" how dare you comment on the sheer stupidity of running 120+mph boats on a crowded inland lake on a holiday weekend?), and downright arrogance (such as "we pride ourselves on how loud and disturbing our boats are, how much we drink, and how little we give a **** about what the rest of you think") is leading many former owners of big league offshores to step away from the crowd.

You're correct; there are a lot of boating options, and the vast majority of them don't include being despised by the rest of the water-borne community.

As someone on here recently observed, the .01% of boaters who are offshore folks need to clean up their act before the 99.99% of the rest of the boaters do it for them.

Now, friends, let's see your intellects....and try real hard to spell correctly.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:45 PM
Registered

Since I have been in SW Florida, I have seen some really sweet Center Consoles! Doubles, triples and Quads! I never really saw too many of these in N. Va/DC area. But, like Sydwayz said, for year 'round boating and ease of maintenence, it sort of seems like a no brainer even if you are not really a fisherman (but you have the option of going out and catching a shark or two! )!

The really weird thing is...my wife has always liked the Center Console style boat, of course, I never did...until now...

Last edited by formula1; 09-27-2006 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Are any of the larger CC's self bailing? I know I have looked at many of these boats but cannot remember seeing a self bailing one. Two many bong hits in high school.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Concept and Midnight Express could both handle that task; albeit might need to be a 36-38 footer.
You're right. I guess I should have added in my other caveat though. No more than two engines.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:57 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Well,
The way we approached it was, to keep the Nordic 35 and get one of these for creek/river exploring/tubing/watersking, and water taxi!
It's not a CC, but it fits our needs alot better. Plus, we still have the Nordic for offshore running. Kinda the best of both worlds, as much as we could afford it!
Dean
Attached Thumbnails For those of you that have switched from an Offshore to...-seadoo-maiden-voyage.jpg  

Last edited by Dean Ferry; 09-27-2006 at 01:59 PM.

Quick Reply: For those of you that have switched from an Offshore to...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.