looking for some info. on a Marlago >

looking for some info. on a Marlago

Notices

looking for some info. on a Marlago

Old 09-27-2006, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default looking for some info. on a Marlago

sorry guys, just trying to help out one of my accounts. anyhow, he's a big time offshore fisherman and interested in jeffersons yacht's 35 sc marlago. they claim to be light (6000lb's w/out motors), fast, strong, and be a great rough water boat. if anyone has any first hand knowledge of this boat i would appriciate some feedback(good or bad). i'm familiar w/ most of our hotboats, but not this sc, fishing boat. thanks.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: looking for some info. on a Marlago

A buddy of mine had one in the early 90's. We used to go out of Jupiter Inlet fishing, about 25-30 miles. As you know, the gulfstream is only a short distance offshore at that point. Sometimes we'd go out early and return mid-afternoon, after the stream had a chance to build to bigger water. We'd run that boat pretty well in sometimes 10-12 footers to get home.

Although you had to pay attention (don't you always when boating?), we never had a "hairy" ride. Solid boat, good handling and ride.

Are they still built the same as they were then?
Old 09-27-2006, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a friend here in Portland OR has one for sale; says it runs as well as any of the offshore boats that we've all had over the years -Formula, Chris-Craft, Magnum, Velocity etc.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had two friends that have owned them and another that sells them in the Chesapeake Bay area, very nice boat, not a fast CC but very nice ride..... PM me if you live in the area, I can hook you up with my friend for a ride/quote on a new boat.... Pat
Old 09-27-2006, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

they are nice boats...they are built in n. Miami beach....but before buying one of those i would go see the 33 Hydra sport cc..that's a bad ass machine for less money and that's a real fishing machine...there's a place in the keys called "Plantation boat mart" ask for Carl Hansen...

Mike
Old 09-27-2006, 05:40 PM
Registered

Been on a 35 with 250 Mercs,58-63mph really nice ride older boat,the new ones look really nice, and have been on one, better rigging than the old ones.Has 275 Verados.Nice boat Great for the Money.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I looked hard at Marlago when I bought my Concept. The Marlago was just not a flashy and I still wanted some flash. Parts of the Marlago did see to be a bit more stout. As far a speeds they are are same speeds as the 33/36 Concept. A Concept with twin 250-275 Verado's will run 57-64mph. It's just hard to beat the looks of a Concept though. Also I believe the Concept is a narrower beam too.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:43 PM
Registered

thanks for the feedback, it's nice to get real world info as opposed to a salesman's opinion. any other thoughts are welcome.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:32 AM
Registered

Best advice I can give you is to determine where and how you will use it. How important is a dry ride in all conditions, are you looking for the go-fast looks or is a big bow with flair in your plans. You said he is a fisherman. Look hard at construction and types of hoses, wiring, style of tabs etc. Do you want a flat floor for easy clean up or lots of boxes in the floor. Look at warranty. Do you want a lean post or bolster seats.

Remember unless you are boating in flat water the speeds are not real. Test ride the boats in real conditions, real 2-4 confused chop if possible, then run in a following sea hard if you can, it will be an eye opening experience.

Troll the boat, turn it sideways to a big beam sea, and then turn the motors towards the waves in nuetral. See if the boat will stay that way or if it will pivot on the motors. (kite fishing guys do this) See if you can move around or if you are hanging on for dear life.

You said he is a big time fisherman, tell him to run a 33CC Hydra-Sports in some real crap and he will see why we sell so many of these. I have even done a few of Stu's poker runs in them. A triple 33CC will run 58 mph with 250 Yamahas or 62 with Verados, but it will run 40-45 in BIG water, dry. The list of big centers that can do that comfortable is very, very short.

Then look hard at resale. Call me if you want, I sell knowledge from experience. May not be the best salesman, buy I can give you an education in construction, design and why they do what they do. We are the largest dealer in the world for Hydra-Sports and the largest stocking Jupiter dealer. I have ran and sold most of the boats mentioned here

Go to our website, Plantationboat.com and you can click on the 33 model and then click on the walk through video.

Good luck and happy shopping!

Carl

305-853-3318