Default Re: Seadoo RXT vs Yamaha FX waverunners

Here's a link on the new 250hp Kawi coming out

http://awahq.org/Ride/waterfront.html
Old 10-04-2006, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Well, today I looked at both the Seadoo RXT and the Yamaha FX HO Cruiser. Both very nice looking units. The local Seadoo dealer claims that Seadoo sells more watercraft than any of their competitors and that they are extremely reliable. I can buy a new 06 leftover for $9,500. The Yamaha dealer stated that their model rides a little nicer than the doo and I really liked the cruiser seat and the wider handlebars.They also stated that the Yami was lighter and that their 160 horse engine was very sufficient and close to the Seadoo in performance. A new leftover of theirs can be had for $10,295. Of course, I was not crazy about the color selections, so I will probably go with an 2007 model. I am still torn. Any last comments??
Old 10-05-2006, 06:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is far more to PWC than can be explained in an even a dozen threads but here is some minor help and summation.

Yamaha makes the most reliable PWC be far, they are not perfect but as mentioned before they are the primary PWC that rental companies use because they just plain hold up better. I myself have an original 2002 FX140 (same as the FX HO but with a slightly smaller version of the same engine and 20 less HP). My FX140 has sat on a floating docking in salt water for 5 seasons and with normal maintenance has had no problems and looks and runs like new. I have has several Sea-Doos before and couldn’t possibly list all the problem I have had with them as have neighbors who have newer models. In my opinion SeaDoos when running are great but you must have a very good dealer you can access who will fix you ski quickly. An extended warranty is not good enough if it takes a shop 2-3 weeks or more in the summer to fix you ski.

As far as direct comparison they should both ride and handle fine but each with their own distinctive characteristics. The SeaDoo will be faster on top end by slight margin and the SeaDoo will out accelerate the Yamaha and that will be a by a very noticeable difference.

Both Skis are big and heavy. When you buy a big ski you gain weight caring capability and rough water ability but you loose significant ability to control the ski with you own body weight and it can take the fun out of aggressive riding. I own a Yamaha 1300 in addition to my FX140 because besides being faster it’s far more fun. A big ski is great for taking young kids for a ride or a nice cruise around but if you want to have fun a smaller ski will feal very different.

I you want in depth PWC info, the best non-brand specific sight is www.pwctoday.com

Good Luck
Old 10-05-2006, 07:25 AM
Registered

I had 2 RXT limited's and an RXP, not 1 problem. My friend has 2 RXT's no problems. I owned a yama. 1200r and a 1300r both had catalytic converters go bad. The only way I would ever buy a yamaha is take the c.c out and replace it with a d-ring. The driving stile of the yam. is better with the motorcycle type steering compared to the up down steering of the seadoo's. My next will be a seadoo, I just don't see the problems some are talking about and I know of a bunch of seadoo's. By the way who ever said the rxp and gtx are the same needs to find a new dealer. As someone else said the rxp is wet but faster not fun on most days unless it's hot and you need cool off.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:13 AM
Registered

I don't know anything about the newer machines, but i've had a couple of old ones.

I have an old 650 kawasaki stand up, that thing is a tank. Sank it this summer, had it running the same night.

I had two old sea-doos also. Both blew up. They were old, but they both blew up. I talked to a guy who went through a motor in a newer sea-doo earlier this year, also. When we had a sea-doo jetboat, nothing but trouble with the jet pumps. lots of stress cracks, too. just cheap design all the way around.

I had an old yamaha as well. Bought it cheap, had been sitting. Started right up and ran fine. Sold it at a profit.

I like the Honda's. Guy I know has one, beats it up good and hasn't had any problems. Nice and quiet, too. But i'm not really looking for the fastest machine on the lake, either.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks guys for all the feedback, and Binmack, that is an awesome site for pwc info. Thanks again.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:05 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny this thread should come back from the dead. I ended up buying a Seadoo Rxp and an RXP-x, they have been flawless apart from a broken hose clamp that resulted in an overheat and head gasket. Had them for about eight years.