Notices

Why not race?

Old 10-02-2006, 06:02 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Re: Why not race?

OldRaceFan:

People like you are why I TRY stay out of these threads. OPA has made no mention of your comment about rough or smooth water races. I am simply trying to bring back some good competition and hopefully we'll have some rough water races. If the seas lay down in Point Pleasant , Ocean City or wherever we race , ORL will certainly be ready to RACE ON. Feel free to call me personally if you want to know our mission for 2007.

Brian Hollis
770-560-3747
www.offshoreracingleague.com

Last edited by THEJOKER; 10-02-2006 at 06:08 PM. Reason: put down the wrong damn phone number
Old 10-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Why not race?

Originally Posted by THEJOKER
.... why I TRY stay out of these threads.

Never works for me either
Old 10-02-2006, 06:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian Hollis is nothing but a high quality person and since I have known him (probably 10 years) he has done nothing but spend truckloads of his own money and devote huge blocks of his time trying to better the sport of Offshore Racing....

Weather we want to race big water or not, we should support his efforts.

Gregg Reichman
Old 10-02-2006, 06:12 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey my supporters have arrived! Thanks Gregg and Race Girl! I was just talking to my banker today and telling him what I could hock to cover my payouts if I didn't raise enough money to cover the whole series - haha. I will not let anybody down! RACE ON!

Last edited by THEJOKER; 10-02-2006 at 06:55 PM. Reason: already raised money for 1st race , meant to say whole series
Old 10-02-2006, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 882 Likes on 478 Posts

Two words never to be used on OSO- (race and Apache)!

Whew that was a lot of reading. Racing is serious participation and poker runs are pleasure.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:51 PM
Registered

T2x,

I find myself in the very rare position of disagreeing with you, not in the way you described a recent event, but in extrapolating what you saw to all poker runs. I know you've seen more than that ... I recall an interview where you described being first on scene at a poker run accident. But with all due respect, I think your generalization is a little flawed.

I've been involved in a couple of dozen poker runs, and while there were people racing (absolutely there were), the majority of the participants were not. Now, maybe I just got lucky, maybe all of the runs I've attended have been extraordinary. It is possible, and I'll allow for that. But I doubt it.

Skaterjim ... if you're going to lob uncalled-for insults, and least spelll them correctly. (It's hypocrite.) It will give you much more credibility.

The original question centered on economics ... would be it more economical for a high-end poker run boat and crew to go offshore racing? Based on my limited knowledge of offshore racing at the high end and poker running at the high end, no. Someone brought P-class into the discussion, and there (here, I'm just guessing because I really don't know) the costs would be comparable.

I don't know Brian Hollis, but I've heard he's a great guy. I've also heard Tom Abrams, who was pretty pivotal in OSS, is a great guy. So what's a would-be racer to do?

Run when and where it best suits you. Unification would be great, but we are so, so far from it now that you might as well have fun and race wherever the heck you want. Or go to poker runs. But racing at poker runs is for idiots.

Last edited by 100-Plus; 10-02-2006 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

how did this thread get off track and end up a pissing contest like every other damn thread out there....for christs sake were all here for the same general reason right ? cant some of you post your opinion without it coming off as a shot ? im an avid pleasure boater whom happens to have a 100+ mph boat. sure i could enter this in the races with OPA and have run many a poker run. im actually selling my current boat to buy something a little more "DUAL PURPOSE" 28-32 ft v bottom that i can race on saturday and take the friends and family out and enjoy on sunday...the average go fast pleasure boat endures more use then a race boat...depending on the class you race in...for instance your average P-5 or P-6 race is what 35 miles ? how many of these are there in a season ? i'll bet you i put more hours on my 30 spectre with outboards "PLEASURE BOATING AND POKER RUNNING" this season then any individual race boat on the course...and therei s a difference between a fun run and a poker run. these high speed speed runs are never going to go away...they'll just limit who knows about them. just like street racing, we all know who the players are and they're the ones that'll get the call. you dont have to have a million dollar boat to race, there are plenty of inexpensive boats out there "RACING" around having a great time...next year i'll be one of them....OPA you guys are the best and i want to thank you again for letting me be involved....ORL best of luck in 2007
Old 10-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Registered

If you want to see what its like to race come out to an opa race next year and try it. If you like what you see stay and become a "racer" if not go back to what you like doing. You dont know how something is till ya try it.

Have fun lifes too short
Old 10-03-2006, 03:45 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

I think with hindsight that part of my original question stemmed from my view (and I may well be wrong here!) that there are many numbers of stunning Poker Run boats, whereas the race scene sometimes appears depleted. The hindsight part comes from the reminder to me and others on here that the shame of it is that their are indeed so many sanctioning bodies out there - hence everyone wants a slice of the pie. What a shame that there isnīt one all encompassing body that could host events for ALL. Now THAT would be something!!! (I must be getting old - I remember the days when there was one sanctioning body!)

And at the risk of lighting the touch paper, for what itīs worth would it not be worth taking out the īstart boatī aspect from the Poker Run?? Maybe if people were just given an open window in which to depart (say an hour) then the run may be a more leisurely run to the card boat?? A start boat to me hints at something competitive. Donīt shoot me down in flames - this is after all a discussion forum!!
Old 10-03-2006, 07:05 AM
No Comment
VIP Member

Location: This post copyright, Packinair Inc. All rights reserved.

maybe someone said it and I missed it... INSURANCE!!!!!!!
alot of boats have loans on them or the owner can not/will not risk a loss of the boat. in a poker run you are still covered on your insurance, in a race, from flag to flag you have NO coverage, so if you have an situation you can loose your boat, if you have a loan on it your SOL, you will still have to make the payments on a fish reef. Alot I know that do not have a loan would not risk taking the loss.. just my worthless 2 cents

Quick Reply: Why not race?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.