Notices

Why not race?

Old 09-30-2006, 06:23 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Why not race?

Just curious here! With such fantastic machinery over there in the US on the pleasure scene (Poker Runs etc) that are quick and capable, why donīt more people race? Is it the relaxed atmosphere at Poker Runs that people prefer? I would have thought that at most race events part of the pleasure of attending would be the social scene prior to racing. No? Is it different somehow?? It always amazes me to see such toys not out there giving it hell on the race circuit.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Why not race?

very very good question ? have often wonder myself. with the amount of monies that is spent on poker runs...travel, registration fees, lodging etc... it could at times be cheaper to race.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most poker run boats wouldnt fit into any class. Not canopied, and over the P class requirements. And if they did fit into a specific class, probably wouldnt be competetive against the other boats. Unless you had a full blown race boat, which isnt the most compfortable thing for takign the fam to shooters.
Plus racing the high end boats, cost much more then poker running them.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Top reason: You can't take your friends and family out for the day in your race boat and stop wherever you want for lunch. Much more social bang for the buck in poker runs.

As for costs, ask anyone who has legitimately campaigned a Super Cat or Super Cat light about that one. You could do a whole lot of poker runs, and pick up all the tabs, from bar to hotel, for your entire group of friends, for that kind of dough.

As for offshore racing in the most exotic equipment on the planet, like the stuff you see in poker runs, recall the two-boat, Alcone-Barber era. Cool stuff and very fast but, yawn.

And the costs get really crazy when you talk about UIM Class 1. You could take an entire performance boating club poker running for years on that kind of budget. Heck, you need the wealth of a nation, Dubai for example, to be competitive in UIM Class 1.

As for the rest, such as organizer politics and race boat owner antics, check out any of the many fine posts on offshore racing by T2X.

In many ways, poker run popularity is reaction to offshore racing.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:47 AM
Banned

Number 1: You have to start by having it in your blood! Racing isn't for everyone.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great Thread to start.

I think it is probably also the fact that sponsorship is hard to come by.
It's a helluva lot easier to just make a few Poker Runs every year, and not have the "commitment" to be at every race.
We don't have offshore racers that call this thier "job". Only a select few don't have a "day job". Everyone else racing is doing it for love (or obsession) of the sport. And, they don't get paid to race, in fact, it will likely cost them more to make it to the race than what the potential purse is.

Why it is that way, is the unanswered question that most members of this board also wonder.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:39 AM
Registered

Three or so sanctioning organizations.

Low turn out of boats as they are split among multiple sanction bodies. Sanctioning bodies who often schedule races on same weekends. This further dilutes the race field at events.

Little to no television coverage that might encourage new blood.

Bickering between racers on public forums makes one question the potential for enjoyment.

While Poker runs have become huge, the truth is most performance boaters don't participate in ANY organized events.

Many prefer to run with friends and enjoy the company of like minded boaters in impromtu lunch runs or hanging out at sandbars and raft ups all over the country.

Last edited by Too Old; 10-24-2007 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:22 PM
Registered

To me they are two totaly differnt sports. I am not a racer, but from observation I think poker runers enjoy the freedom and the social aspect of it as opposed to the rigidity of racing. You can pick your venues, you can bring your spouses and friends, if it is rough you don't have beat yourself up or even complete a leg, you don't have to run in circles, and you can build your engines to your specifications. And lastly you can bring your pet Yorkie

In our house poker running keeps the peace, Ian gets to go fast and because I get to go along it keeps me interested in boating and a lot more agreeable when instead of a birthday gift we get a new fuel pump and oil coolers. While I enjoy an occassional race there is no way I would sit on the sidelines weekend after weekend unable to ride in our boat. So for our lifestye and budget it is poker runs for us

Last edited by Ms PatriYacht; 09-30-2006 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

*Poker runs and racing are two seperate animals. I race because I like competition. If I wanted to play cards-I'd go to Atlantic City.
*Almost all Poker run boats DO fit into a "P" class.
* Multiple sanctioning bodies is no different then car racing. For example, look at Cart and IRL on a National Level, then look at your local track, how many classes do they offer-and are the classes different from track to track??-yes!!
* TV coverage is limited-but how many local tracks have TV?? How many Poker Runs are on TV??
* There is always bickering in any form of racing, check out some of the NASCAR message boards.
* Why do Poker boats have #'s?? Are they racer wanna bees???
*There is great equipment at Poker runs, often better than the races, however, I go to races because I like COMPETITION, not for eye candy.
* Mr HP is right, "you have to have it in your blood". Could the racing be better-hell yea, I'd love to see 20 + boats in every class!
*Racing takes Kahunnas, just look at at OC Maryland last two weeks ago 6'to 8' waves, 25 boats broke pushing them past their limit....
Great thread!!!
Old 09-30-2006, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 100-Plus
Top reason: You can't take your friends and family out for the day in your race boat and stop wherever you want for lunch. Much more social bang for the buck in poker runs.

As for costs, ask anyone who has legitimately campaigned a Super Cat or Super Cat light about that one. You could do a whole lot of poker runs, and pick up all the tabs, from bar to hotel, for your entire group of friends, for that kind of dough.

As for offshore racing in the most exotic equipment on the planet, like the stuff you see in poker runs, recall the two-boat, Alcone-Barber era. Cool stuff and very fast but, yawn.

And the costs get really crazy when you talk about UIM Class 1. You could take an entire performance boating club poker running for years on that kind of budget. Heck, you need the wealth of a nation, Dubai for example, to be competitive in UIM Class 1.

As for the rest, such as organizer politics and race boat owner antics, check out any of the many fine posts on offshore racing by T2X.

In many ways, poker run popularity is reaction to offshore racing.
How bout for the guy that has a 28 Pantera or a 33 Scarab, a 27 Fountain etc...The OPA has a spot for your "AVERAGE" boater, who maybe wants to or can only make 2,3,4 races per season, puts a number on his pleasure boat, enters his class and has a chance at a $5000.00 purse...his entry is "ZERO" his slip fees are "ZERO". It costs $100.00 per person to register each person running in the boat.

Quick Reply: Why not race?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.