42 Fountain vs. 382 Formula vs. 36 Baja

Notices

42 Fountain vs. 382 Formula vs. 36 Baja

Old 10-10-2006, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 42 Fountain vs. 382 Formula vs. 36 Baja

Originally Posted by cuda
For the 36 Baja bashers, are you aware they were the same mold that the Cig Mistress was made in? The Don himself said the Mistress was the best riding offshore boat he ever rode in. I think Baja has come a long way in their quality too.
The only reason I would not look at a Baja is due to the quality. Year after year at the boat shows there is always something in the finish quality of these boats that I do not like.

For example, last year the vinyl around the door frame was not cut straight across the bottom of the frame, exposing torn, cut and ripped areas of the vinyl. The screws that they had around the frame were also not lined up. Now for some people that may be acceptable, but if you're buying a new boat you certainly don't want your screw alignments all over the place. The last thing I recall is where the cup holders were. You could take an index finger and push the molding around the holder and it would give, as if no structure was there.

I'm not bashing the performance of the Baja. I have been in a few and for the most part enjoy them. But when you buy a boat for pleasure, you also look at the quality along with the ride.

I have yet to see that in the Baja's I've been in.

I'm with whoever said if you can snag a 37 Active Thunder, snag it! And, I agree Scarab's are very under rated boats. They are great rides.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:32 PM
Registered

I've got a 32 Fountain. Twin 454s. Spent last weekend at Catalina for Buccaneer Days -- don't bring your kids!!! Had many people go past in their dinghys asking "Is your boat sinking?" My wife came up with this: "We're not sinking, we're going down!"

Funny!

But it did turn out we were actually sinking -- just did not notice until water came above the floor boards! Slow leak in one scupper drain combined with non-operational bilge pumps (they worked before we left!!) resulted in 12 inches of water after 36 hours...
Old 10-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Registered

Back to the topic: Fountain versus everything.

I did not buy a Formula because the cockpt is so shallow. Might be a good thing on a hot lake, not so good on a big cold ocean.

I did not buy a Baja because the quality of build just did not seem up to the awsome stresses of offshore running. Also, stepped bottoms are fundamentally more fuel efficient, and gas is getting expensive. To me anyway, I dunno, maybe its just me.

Having owned a Fountain for 3 years and 440 running hours nearly all offshore in the Pacific to and from and between the coastal islands, I think I can say a few things about Fountains.

First, I'll never again buy a twin engine boat that does not have staggered engines. The service access is just hopeless with side-by-side engines, and its cost me much bucks because of that. Hell, nearly sank the boat because I can't get to the bilge pumps to clear them of some blockage.

Second, the way Fountain rigs boats is rather bogus. Quite similar to nearly every other boat I have seen, but bogus none the less. Cigarette, for one, does a much better job. I have had to re-rig nearly everything so far, and by the end of this year, I will have re-rigged every bolt, wire, hose, drive, engine. Everything. Would have been cheaper to have bought the boat empty.

My next Fountain may well be a Fountain that has been re-rigged by a reputable shop like Pfaff or Teague. They have re-rigged my boat a part at a time, and its much better for it.

I think its pretty easy to point out the ways a Fountain is better than any other boat on the market:
1) Hull design. Race results don't lie. Speed means efficiency.
2) Lamination schedule. More boats racing more years than any other builder, by very far, means a lot more insight into what works, what does not. All other builders have either gone through many hands (Cig, Apache, ...), or corporate owners, or simply don't have the continuous competition experience.
3) Market presence, which really matters when you get around to selling.
4) Bang for the buck, which really matters when you buy.
5) Choice: a lot of them out there. A lot have been re-worked with big $$$ and those are the ones to get.

I think those 5 factors make the choice for Fountain compelling.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info Carcrash . I had a very brief ride in the '05 42 Ex in Jersey 2 wks ago and in big water, so I was not able to really try it in an average cruise situation, like 1-2, occ 3 ft. chop at about 50 55 mph. How much wind in the face? Can you talk to your passeger? I was in a 312 Formula and the driver handed me aircraft noise cancelling headphones because the wind by your ears is so bad. It hit me in the mid chest standing on that boat, and I'm only 6' tall.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:01 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by avarady
Thanks for the info Carcrash . I had a very brief ride in the '05 42 Ex in Jersey 2 wks ago and in big water, so I was not able to really try it in an average cruise situation, like 1-2, occ 3 ft. chop at about 50 55 mph. How much wind in the face? Can you talk to your passeger? I was in a 312 Formula and the driver handed me aircraft noise cancelling headphones because the wind by your ears is so bad. It hit me in the mid chest standing on that boat, and I'm only 6' tall.
I just sold a 312 and bought a 382. Even though Formula's have a windsheild they really don't block the wind very well. I bought some windscreens that clamp the the top frame and worked great!!! (windaway.com) The best $60 bucks spent for somethng like that!!!
Old 10-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by t500hps
I just sold a 312 and bought a 382. Even though Formula's have a windsheild they really don't block the wind very well. I bought some windscreens that clamp the the top frame and worked great!!! (windaway.com) The best $60 bucks spent for somethng like that!!!
You had the same wind issue with the 382?
Old 10-11-2006, 12:45 PM
Registered

I own an 05 42x and previously had a 35 Lightning for 8yrs (which original owner bought back from me)

You can talk to your passengers very well at WOT. I am 5 9" so I fit good in the seat, secure and safe.

I agree, staggered is the only way to go. Fly level, land smoothly. The Fountain has a distintive look, either you think it's cool or you hate it.
The low profile in the water does NOT make it ride worse than a big freeboard Cig, Baja etc. unlike people may think. Wave crushers mean nothing to me, Fountains skip over the water and the faster you go the smoother she will ride which takes some getting used to.

I will run with anything in big water and the facts to back it up. I'm not sitting behind a keyboard in my underwear talking smart. Chicago run this summer was HUGE WATER....call Mike Fiore he was throttling for Gator1, which was first to all stops.

Out of 80 boats, only 23 continued on for the first leg of 30 mi and back.
The rest turned around and waited for lunch. We were 8th to the first stop with measly stock 525's. I had no prob with the top gun Cigs, Donzi, Vics 38 Formula 700's. Most Fountains were up front. The 47 OL was King, a 42 Tiger was up front and that's about it.

With all the continous talk around here, I didn't much see much of anything that impressed me except Gators OL at 90+....

Driving and throttling will determine a good or poor ride.

All boats listed will be fine, just depends on your style. I will say, Fountains rigging does not compare to a custom builder cosmetic wise, but I didn't pay for candy in the bildge.
Attached Thumbnails 42 Fountain vs. 382 Formula vs. 36 Baja-cpc-medium-.jpg   42 Fountain vs. 382 Formula vs. 36 Baja-cpc-air-1-medium-.jpg   42 Fountain vs. 382 Formula vs. 36 Baja-ol2.jpg  

Old 10-11-2006, 12:54 PM
Registered

Smooth ride? landings? sure.... whatever you think.
Attached Thumbnails 42 Fountain vs. 382 Formula vs. 36 Baja-vic-spellberg.jpg   42 Fountain vs. 382 Formula vs. 36 Baja-35pokerface.jpg  
Old 10-11-2006, 01:19 PM
Registered

Fantastic shots! WOW!
Old 10-11-2006, 01:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by avarady
I currently own a 2004 Baja 33 Outlaw with 496 HO's I am fairly happy with, but its not quite enough for the bigger water. I am considering decent buys on each of these boats. Give up your thoughts and comments please !!
Why does it matter? All your friends know you never take your boat out! And we really know that Claudia's not going to let you put it in the salt!

Quick Reply: 42 Fountain vs. 382 Formula vs. 36 Baja

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.