Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Hampton Roads Norfolk Oct 5-10!!!!! >

Hampton Roads Norfolk Oct 5-10!!!!!

Notices

Hampton Roads Norfolk Oct 5-10!!!!!

Old 09-26-2006, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Hampton Roads Norfolk Oct 5-10!!!!!

Hey Guys,

I may be bringing my boat to Sandbridge VA for Columbus day weekend. Have never boated there except for a ride on the Truman Aircraft Carrier a few years back. I'd love to connect with some folks and see the sights.

Who's going out for a brisk fall ride?

SG
Old 09-26-2006, 01:54 PM
Registered

Default Re: Hampton Roads Norfolk Oct 5-10!!!!!

I know posts suck without cool pics...

Last edited by Surgin' General; 08-14-2007 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:27 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few of us should be out running around that weekend. Weather should still be decent as well. No powerboating in Sandbridge though unless you're bringing the skiff. The "Back Bay" area is shallow. You'll have to come back out Sandbridge Road to Princess Anne Rd. Turn left heading south to almost the NC line at Munden Point Park. Ramp it there. Turn right north up the intercoastal and you will pass Capt. Georges seafood restaurant. Keep going and you will go thru a few lift bridges until you arrive at the Great Bridge Locks. Go thru and make an immediate right (almost 180) and you'll be at the Locks Point restaurant (nice dining) or the less formal dockside pub/restaurant Hodad's.

If not there, go thru the locks until you come to a high span bridge (I-64). Turn left down a small channel (Dismal Swamp Canal or aka the original intercoastal surveyed by GW). Go about a qtr mile and look left. You'll see a small opening to the local party cove area. Should be plenty of boats and a few of us from around the Va. Beach area.

If not there, go thru the high span and keep going until you reach the Portsmouth Naval shipyard area and shortly thereafter is Ocean Marine, N-Telos amphitheater, and dead ahead is Waterside Norfolk w/ marina. All the way to Norfolk may take 1-1.5 hours depending o lift bridge/locks timing, plus an excellent scenic run.

The alternatives are to put in at Rudee Inlet municipal ramp adjacent to the Marine Science Museum which is access to the oceanfront and you could run around to Lynnhaven Inlet on the northern shore just east of the ChesBay Bridge Tunnel where there are more waterside resturants/pubs and another inland bay (Broad Bay) and another local hangout called the Narrows beach. Plus you could pop into my dock and we'll have a beverage or two. Like to trailer? Haul it all the way around to Lynnhaven Inlet Bridge where there's another municipal ramp and you can hit Broad Bay or run across the chesbay to Norfolk/Hampton and past the Naval station etc. Or even up the James to the ghost fleet or Smithfield station. Plus several more options weather dependent.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:27 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some of the HRPA will be out. I probably will be on the Ches Bay or close by.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 09-27-2006, 10:24 AM
Registered

I LOVE THIS BOARD!!!.....I LOVE ALL CAPS!!!

Thanks for all the info. That's a great summary of my options from the Sandbridge area.

Hope I get to boat with some of you guys...

SG
Old 10-07-2006, 01:36 AM
Registered

I'm down here but without the boat. Major surf and swells for inland water off the sides of the tunnel entrances. Anyone going out this weekend?
Old 10-07-2006, 09:14 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No.
With this Nor'easter?

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 10-07-2006, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm three blocks from the ocean and can still hear the surf hitting the beach! Let's go boating!!
Old 10-07-2006, 11:17 PM
Registered

Sun or Mon might be nice but glad I didn't drag her down to try nd go out in this.....
Old 10-09-2006, 07:29 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry the weather didn't hold out for ya this past weekend. I was watching those tides come up into my yard Friday night... But that's the way it goes around here in the fall.

Today it's forecasted for partly cloudy and 71 degrees w/ 2-3's on the bay and 4-5's at Cape Henry. Definitely a doable day further inland away from the east side of ChesBay tunnel. We'll see what it's doing this afternoon. Hope your stay has been fun in spite of it all.

Quick Reply: Hampton Roads Norfolk Oct 5-10!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.