For all that know Tres Martin >

For all that know Tres Martin

Notices

Old 10-26-2006, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone. I'm re-writing Tres' biography for his website and would like to get some little facts and such to incorporate in the piece.

I am looking for friends and teammates, etc. of Tres who have any interesting short stories, any thoughts or anything that might be utilized to write his biography.

Examples:
-People who have raced with, or watched a race by, Tres.
-People who have seen Tres at a Motocross race or on his Motocross bikes.
-People who have known Tres from waaaaay back (like with him mopping the floors at his dad's joint, or racing Little Caesars Pizza, or maybe back when he was a kid), and have any fun stories or first impressions, etc. of him.

All help is appreciated! You can either post your response here, or email it to me at my email address below!
Please note, by participating in this you agree to have your words published towards the biography of Tres Martin and on such websites as www.tresmartinperformance.com, etc. Your name may be used as well for quotation reasons.

Thanks!

Devon
[email protected]
Old 10-27-2006, 08:09 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: For all that know Tres Martin

The first time I met Tres Martin was in Toronto 1999. I watched him destroy the field in F2 , running a 38 Cigarette. You should see some video footage of him throwing his driver (Allweiss) to the cockpit floor. Nobody runs harder in a race boat!
Old 10-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have any stories for you, but Tres (and his wife) and great, standup people.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:51 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Let's see....2001 Shows up in Sarasota w/ a new 36 F2 Gladiator. I'll never forget watching the people chase the boat over to the ramp. Once again destroys the field in F2. Oh yea....Corpus Christi , TX in a 38 Cig (Virgin)F2......Well you know what happened.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:56 PM
DJD
Registered

The first time I met Tres was when we were racing F2-07 Wild Child in SBI and decided to go to our first APBA race. It was in Baltimore MD. Tres was the only one who made us feel welcome and in fact, our first conversation was when he walked over & introduced himself. He then quietly said that they had just returned from a practice run & found that the course was shorter than APBA stated. He told us to adjust our fuel level so we wouldn't be carrying around too much weight A stand up guy for sure and his wife is as nice as can be. She gave us rides back & forth from our hotel to the pits at a Deerfield race.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Tres and Jacky are just plain hard to find awesome people !
Old 10-28-2006, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

.....................One Bad Dude,...............................Just like his pops..............
Old 10-30-2006, 01:32 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I've known Tres since 1985. I bought my second Cigarette from his dad in 1986. I've said this on this board before, but what amazed me most back then is when Tres would back a high perf boat into the dock at Everglades Marina. That may sound simple, but the canal is narrow, there is a lot of traffic, the current is strong, and they were performance enginges of the 1980's so they weren't the best idling or low speed operating engines to say the least. Many owners would give up trying to dock in frustration, hand the boat over to Tres and he docked the boats (backing in) first time every time. AMAZING!

In my many boat projects, Tres has been incredibly helpful. He has a wealth of knowledge.

Will Lynch and I were talking to Tres last month and Tres wowed us with a boating theory. It caused me to sincerely reply, "Yes, Obi - Wan!"

Barry DeBald

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598
Old 10-30-2006, 03:53 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: For all that know Tres Martin

I bought a 35 Cigarette Playboy from Tres’s brother Glenn in 2001. After taking delivery on the boat I did a FPC poker run to Key West. I had a problem with the boat when I reached Key West. I contacted Tres and he sent one of his employees to Key West that night to fix the boat. I have called Tres countless times for advice and he has always been a gentleman and helped me in any way he could. Tres, Jackie, Glenn and Ralph have always treated me like family.

Not to steal any thunder from Tres, but his dad Ralph is the nicest and most knowledgeable man I have ever met in the boating business. He was the first person to sell boats for Don A. and Reggie F. and has incredible recall about the early days of power boats. One of the magazines should do an article on him.

Brad Whitfield