Skater vs Gladiator

Old 10-14-2006, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Skater vs Gladiator

Originally Posted by Indy
Only for 35 years

Dan, where were you, the Race?
No, it was just in the sound. We went over to greenport then around shelter Island. Where the ferries cross on the other side of shelter there were 3-5 footers. Coming through the gut wasn't that bad but the sound was down right scary!!! They were some BIG waves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still cant believe I drove the boat through them.
Have you been out lately???
Old 10-15-2006, 06:44 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm
Have you been out lately??
Yes, we did the Brunch Run around Manhattan then my trailer brakes/bearings crapped out on me so it's been sitting. I want to run it one more time before winterization. So. Florida Trailers is supposed have the parts shipped to me this week. Hopefully I'll be out this coming weekend if I can find some time for the rebuild.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Indy
Yes, we did the Brunch Run around Manhattan then my trailer brakes/bearings crapped out on me so it's been sitting. I want to run it one more time before winterization. So. Florida Trailers is supposed have the parts shipped to me this week. Hopefully I'll be out this coming weekend if I can find some time for the rebuild.
Yea, our trailer is down for the count as well. We have to replace the rear axle. On our way to lake george last weekend both the truck and our trailer broke down. Long story. I think this weeked were going to get the Hustler up and running and take it for a spin.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The arnesons on my 36 Nor tech work wonderfully they are light & very strong.. + the boat has no porpoise that is prone to a #6 style drive... on a smaller 32 the arnesons will work best... as far as the Gladiator or ZR just drive both & you will find the answer easy.
Attached Thumbnails Skater vs Gladiator-736986_r2_10_13a-large-.jpg  
Old 10-15-2006, 06:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by customryder
The arnesons on my 36 Nor tech work wonderfully they are light & very strong.. + the boat has no porpoise that is prone to a #6 style drive... on a smaller 32 the arnesons will work best... as far as the Gladiator or ZR just drive both & you will find the answer easy.
We would love to own your Nor-Tech. Its probably my dads favorite boat for sale anlog with a friend of ours. We own a Gladiator now but have been looking hard at your old ZR. We like the graphics they put on it. We just need to get a ride in one so we can compare it to our Gladiator. From what we've heard it should ride and handle a little bit better.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm
You should have seen the water I just came back in. I dont think a 32 Skater could have done any better or given a better ride. The best I could average was 35-40mph. It was solid 8 footers. Real 8 footers. My dad has been boating for over 45 years and knows how to judge waves. I was driving and it was the biggest water I have ever driven in. If any of you have boated in Long Island Sound you know what Im talking about. If we ever get a Cat its going to be 36+ ft. One last thing, Im happy that there's a #1 on the side of our boat!!!
On Sat 10/14?????????? I don't know where you were, but I ran from New London to Clinton and never saw anything close to an 8 footer in LIS! Wind was was only 10 to 15 kts and waves were 2-4'. Check on NEBC as the records should be there. It's been a loooonnnnggg time since I've seen true 8 footers in LIS. Now Plum Gut or the Race are a different story, but are isolated areas and there certainly weren't 8 footers in the Sound on Sat!
Old 10-16-2006, 10:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SS930
On Sat 10/14?????????? I don't know where you were, but I ran from New London to Clinton and never saw anything close to an 8 footer in LIS! Wind was was only 10 to 15 kts and waves were 2-4'. Check on NEBC as the records should be there. It's been a loooonnnnggg time since I've seen true 8 footers in LIS. Now Plum Gut or the Race are a different story, but are isolated areas and there certainly weren't 8 footers in the Sound on Sat!
This was later in the day. Around 5:00. When we went over to Long Island there were only 2-4 footers in the afternoon. It picked up quite a bit later in the day. Okay Maybe I exaggerated but there were some 8's. Probably 6-8's. It was a constant wind through the day so the waves kept building. What time were you out???? I know what I was in and saw. Like I said before the Gut was relatively calm. There wasn't any boats with in sight when we were running back. If you think they were 2-4's later in the day then go right ahead.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We pulled into Clinton around 4 PM. The wind was building from 10-15 kts earlier in the day to 15-20 by 5PM so I suspect it did get a little worse after we got off the water. I live on the shoreline and I can tell you it certainly wasn't 8's at any point, maybe 4' to 6' at best... rough either way. TRUE 8's (not OSO exaggerated) are huge and very rare for LIS.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:47 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Perceived wave heights and pecker length are both frequent victims of fantasy versus fact.......

T2x
Old 10-16-2006, 01:09 PM
Registered

All I know is that I dont think a cat could hve gone any faster or given a better ride in the water we were in. Maybe, Maybe not.