Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   You WILL want to read this.............. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/142612-you-will-want-read.html)

Semper Fi 10-12-2006 12:02 PM

You WILL want to read this..............

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to pass on this important info along to you. You can now “opt out” so that your personal information can’t be compromised. Who likes getting those annoying offers everyday in the mail anyway? The credit bureaus sell your information to these companies….that’s why you get so much junk mail!! I have verified that this is a legitimate site by the credit bureaus. Go to this website and “opt out”.

www.optoutprescreen.com

I just did it, for 5 years. If you “opt out” for life, you have to fill out a form and mail it with your personal info. I wouldn’t recommend it.

Best regards,

Gerard

Strip Poker 388 10-12-2006 12:42 PM

Re: You WILL want to read this..............

Maybe there really just getting info from you to spam you more?

CigDaze 10-12-2006 12:52 PM

Good stuff. I hate receiving all that crap.
Here's all you need to know about the issues at hand, from the Federal Trade Commission.
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/.../prescreen.htm

Semper Fi 10-12-2006 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Maybe there really just getting info from you to spam you more?

Strip-- I work with credit all day long (Mortage Broker) I contacted the company I pull credit through and they told me this is legitimate. I wouldn't steer you wrong!!

tblrklakemo 10-12-2006 02:24 PM

i have a slight issue giving them my SSN

Semper Fi 10-13-2006 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by tblrklakemo
i have a slight issue giving them my SSN

They already have it :D Call up Experian, TransUnion or Equifax and ask them for yourself. Call "opt out" yourself.....1–888-567-8688

Magicfloat 10-13-2006 03:06 PM

I opted out with minimal info,ss# not required. But,looks like anyone who knows my name and address(easy to find) could opt me in or out without my permission or knowledge.What am I missing here?

tblrklakemo 10-13-2006 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Semper Fi
They already have it :D Call up Experian, TransUnion or Equifax and ask them for yourself. Call "opt out" yourself.....1–888-567-8688

I know, I used to do loans. I guess I am happy with the amount of junk I get....not too much.

Semper Fi 10-13-2006 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Magicfloat
I opted out with minimal info,ss# not required. But,looks like anyone who knows my name and address(easy to find) could opt me in or out without my permission or knowledge.What am I missing here?

Robert,

Your not missing anything (but the warm SoCal weather :D ) I personally am tired of all the junk mail I get every single day, so I wanted to pass on this info to my fellow OSO'ers.

Like I previously mentioned, I deal with people's credit every single day and you would be absolutely stunned on some credit secrets that can help or hurt your credit scores that 90% of the public has no idea about.

Alot of people get all these "your already approved" offers in the mail and think they're approved, (some cases they are, but that's is usually not the case) and then they call in or fill out the form and get their credit run.....again and again etc......

If you "opt out", you shouldn't get all that B.S. mail.

Back4More 10-13-2006 04:55 PM

I like the junk mail....makes me feel like i'm somebody. :p
Just Kiddin....thanks for passin it on.