Ballot Proposal 1 in Michigan >

Ballot Proposal 1 in Michigan

Notices

Ballot Proposal 1 in Michigan

Old 10-14-2006, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ballot Proposal 1 in Michigan

So far this sounds like a great proposal as it will tie all of our boat license fees to the waterways commision and harbor and ramp construction projects, the only part that concerns me is the 2 percent tax (I am wondering if this is in ADDITION to our already burdensome state fuel taxes), and am waiting for a reply from my state rep on this issue, other than that it's a great proposal!

The recreation improvement account is established as an account within the legacy fund. The
recreation improvement account shall consist of all tax revenue derived from the sale of two percent of
the gasoline sold in this state for consumption in internal combustion engines
and other revenues as
authorized by law. Money in the recreation improvement account shall be distributed as follows:
(a) Eighty percent of the money shall be annually transferred to the waterways account to be used for
the purposes of that account.
(b) Fourteen percent of the money shall be annually transferred to the snowmobile account to be used
for the purposes of that account.
(c) The remainder of the money that is not transferred under this section shall be used, upon
appropriation, for recreation projects, including grants to state colleges and universities to implement
recreation projects, and for the administration of the recreation improvement account. Of the amount that
is credited to recreational projects in a fiscal year, not less than twenty-five percent of any funds
designated for projects intended for off-road vehicles shall be expended on projects to repair damages as a
result of pollution, impairment, or destruction of air, water, or other natural resources, or the public trust,
in air, water, or other natural resources, as a result of the use of off-road vehicles.

here's a link to the Michigan 2006 ballot proposals, read 'em and weep!
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/so...6_174276_7.pdf

What do you guys think???
Paul

Last edited by boathead; 10-14-2006 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ballot Proposal 1 in Michigan

proposal 06-01; I don't know how it is currently funded but my first thought is that if they dedicate 2% of the tax revenue from gas sales to anything it will take about 5 seconds for politians to say they need to "make up for lost revenue" in other areas and raise the gas tax 5% (or some other number).

proposal 06-02; get rid of reverse discrimination and abolish affirmative action. I'll vote yes, but be prepared for riots

proposal 06-03; sure, why not, add them to the list.

proposal 06-04; I think it's a good proposal. I have some questions but overall I think it limits the Governments ability to come in an take property.

proposal 06-05; just another tax. notice that if they don't spend the money they put it in another fund. ie; we taxed you too much but we're not giving it back sucker.

my $.02
Old 10-15-2006, 06:23 AM
Registered

Default Interesting Opinion Piece on proposal 5!

Yep, Proposition 5 sounds like yet another power grab by the corrupt MEA!

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...610150303/1271

I'll be giving this one the thumbs down!!!!

Prop.1-Yes if the 2% gas tax portion is not actually added
on to over the road fuels

Prop 2-Yes Let people be hired or selected based on
MERIT, not ethnicity, race or skin color, this is fair.

Prop 3- ????? Unsure on this, I am in favor of hunting as long as
the game is used for food or some useful purpose, if people
are just using the doves as targets, I'm against it.

Prop 4- YES!!! How can anyone except developers
be against this one???

Prop 5- NO WAY, MEA!!!!!

Here's a new proposal I wish we could vote on:
Prop 6- Mike Illitch buys the Lions! Yes on this one......

My insignificant opinion,

GGGOOOOOOOOOO TIGERS!!!!!!! Yahoooooooo!

Last edited by boathead; 10-15-2006 at 06:59 AM.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:18 AM
Registered

Default Re: Ballot Proposal 1 in Michigan

Just taked to my state rep. and he said there will be NO ADDITIONAL gasoline taxes added if this proposal passes, it just allocates them to the "recreational vehicles" such as boats, ORV's etc., based on estimated fuel usage of these vehicles. So I'm all for this proposal!!!!
Currently the state can raid the waterways commission funds and the fees collected from our boat, ORV registrations/licensing to use for whatever they want!!!!!!!!

VOTE YES on Prop 1!!!!!