Any Benifit To Coast Guard Doc, >

Any Benifit To Coast Guard Doc,

Notices

Any Benifit To Coast Guard Doc,

Old 10-20-2006, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Any Benifit To Coast Guard Doc,

never been looked at twice in NY. I display reg sticker only on hullside, name and port stern. The numbers mean nothing to law/state. If you've got a good color/good date reggie on the hullside they know it's registered in order to get one, or more importantly that you fed the state $$ machine.

that's all they give a sh!t about.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:45 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bcschoe
The sheriff is wrong. State Law is derived from federal law. Each state must follow 33 CFR part 173 specifically 173.33 registration numbers shall be removed when a vessel is documented.

The federal boating safety money given to each state is based upon vessel registrations; therefore documented boats may be registered with the state but shall not display registration numbers hence the sticker only.

That is correct.
Just registered with Midwest documentation, Drew Davis has
been great to work with and explained in detail.Give um a call
I don't have the # with me but they have a web site.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the way i was told is that as long as you are not operating in any state's waters for more than 60 consecutive days, you do not have to be registered in that state, i.e. state numbers or stickers. this is the case for il and mo but you will get hassled a lot more even if you do display name and hailing port on the stern of the boat. the documentation aspect allows you to not have to pay sales tax, so this is the benefit to answer your question. i went ahead and paid the "in-lieu-of-tax" for missouri just so i could display the sticker and not get hassled(without sticker on old boat i was stopped 7 times in 10 days with just doc. info on stern of boat). some states can register your boat with no in-lieu-of-tax such as delaware still i believe. those that trailer your boats, do not have to be registered in any state to be documented and be legal. this was as of last year and i believe to still be accurate.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KNOT-RIGHT
I agree to this. However, Most Harbour masters up here
would take it the wrong way if I tried the education approach.

Better to yes sir no sir. Have a great day.
so what, now you're a turn the other cheek kinds a guy
Old 10-20-2006, 12:57 PM
Registered

Same here in NY no numbers only a sticker,but the sales tax people came by and didnt see the little sticker,send me a nasty letter,then had to produce sales tax reciept to get them off my back
Old 10-20-2006, 01:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hammer01
you will get hassled a lot more even if you do display name and hailing port on the stern of the boat. the documentation aspect allows you to not have to pay sales tax.
wrong and wrong.

there are only a couple of states left where you can get by without paying full blown sales tax. MO. and Dl. being two of them.

the other half of the legal terms of documentation other than the number permanently attached to the hull..
Is that name and hailing port are REQUIRED to be displayed on the boat!!!
in the other 45 states or whatever, they will catch up to you on the tax!

Go ahead...pay no tax for a state reg. sticker AND display no name with hailing port and see how many times the patrol passes you by! That is absolute to the man you're "skipping out"!
here in NY they (the state) actually does field audits, scouting marinas looking for unpaid tax! You buy a slip for the season and as far as the states concerned you intend to use the boat in that state for more than 60 days a year. You could argue that, but you won't win!
I've seen it being done more than once and have myself 7 or 8 years ago gotten a letter from Albany to send in proof of tax paid, and I had a valid NY reggie and numbers on the boat!

Russian roulette for you if you think it's free ride.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:22 PM
Registered

another aspect of little importance to the rest of you is that you are NOT going to Canada and staying more than the 20 minutes it takes to call customs without a state registration or documentation number. I'd hate to have the mounties walk down the dock and call me on not having a name/port displayed on my documented vessel, walk all over my boat with thier black shoe polish and spend an hour going over my paperwork!

Or our own coast guard or border patrol in our own waters for that matter!
Old 10-20-2006, 01:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by J.B. Marshall
I do not believe that is correct, you must register the boat in your home state and apply the reg no#'s. I was told this by the Sheffi' depts this summer.
Of course you still have to register it with the state. The good part is that you don,t have to put 5 or 6 ugly looking numbers on the front side of the hull.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by NJgr8ful
Your boat can be commandeered at any given moment to assist in official military activities and the number on the side thingy too
That'd be fine with me.

I've always wanted a 50 cal. machine gun mounted up on the deck of my hotrod anyways , just to take care of all the pecker-knats on PWC's at LOTO.

(and the no numbers on the side thingy, but State registration sticker every 3 years here in MO.)
Old 10-20-2006, 01:50 PM
Registered

Just a sticker here in Florida. No numbers and have never been stopped for not having them.

Quick Reply: Any Benifit To Coast Guard Doc,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.