Notices

Safety CT.River Run

Old 10-22-2006, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safety CT.River Run

It was a great day on the Ct river! Weather was perfect(ok dam cold in the morning but it did warm up)And great people! Mike and Tripps great ride up and back, Patrick it was great seeing you and so many others,
I know some people might not like me bringing this up but I couldn't let this go without saying a few things. About a dozen boats that were a little big for the ramp that was used by the river rocket crowd left the I95 ramp in Old Saybrook.There were several 30 superboats a few 24s and even a Gladiator.The start was relatively clean but as all starts with several performance boats,lots of wake and cross chop.A small S.O.B.(21 maybe 22 foot)with a 300merc took a wake very poorly and launched.It landed hard on its side and both driver and passenger were ejected.They hit the water Hard.Both guys were dazed but conscious.They hit the water so hard their shoes were pulled off their feet.Neither was wearing a life-jacket and no kill switch.The boat righted itself and was still running ,the water was very cold and the current was strong.It was a very bad situation.Fortunately several of our group acted quickly.Someone caught the runaway boat(it had a foot pedal so it was not going fast ,but a prop can chew you up at idle just as well as at 5000rpms) super30 and his wife picked up the passenger and my son and I plucked the driver out of the water.The great guy in the Gladiator got dry blankets to us to help ward off hypothermia.A great bunch of guys made a bad situation work out ok.And if the guys who got dumped didn't thank you (because the driver who got my son and I soaking wet pulling him on board didn't ), I thank you all. I was proud of all who helped or were standing by to help.I am not passing judgment on this guy, but small light hull 300hp and no kill switch?No life jacket? Hypothermia sets in very fast in cold water.The current was strong,these guys were not going to last very long in that water.I am very happy you are both ok, but we all need to remember the basic safety precautions that save lives .Unfortunate events like this give performance boaters the bad name we are all trying to eliminate.
Again thanks to all who helped, I don't know names but you know who you are ,F1-99 Superboat,The Pantera with the Novice boater for a passenger who jumped on the runaway,The guys on that beautiful Gladiator with the blankets and my son who almost went in himself helping to pull the driver onboard. Great Job!!
Jim Capie
JESSIEJAMESIII
Old 10-22-2006, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Safety CT.River Run

well said cappie!!! it could have been alot worse,any body know how to send this post over to S+F ??? tripps
Old 10-22-2006, 08:22 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Jim,

I am dissappointed to say the least...

I read one post that the event went off perfectly. Now I read this....

Great job to those people that made the rescue a success.

I just don't know why it is such a big deal for someone to put a life jacket on. Especially in such cold waters....

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 10-22-2006, 08:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SLANDREW
Did Titan show with the Progression??? He whould of paid someone to jump in and help

Easy there Buddy!!!!!!!!!! You did not even show up. I helped out when the guys had a problem....
Old 10-22-2006, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Did Titan show with the Progression??? He whould of paid someone to jump in and help
He says next time he will pay when he has your 50 DOLLARS with him
Old 10-22-2006, 09:04 PM
Registered

OK I seen the pics on Superboat tread but trailer it What happened to that men crap looks like the Superboat is the only guy that drove it all the way there??

Hey Dic%k Hole back off. You still owe me $50 bucks. Where is it? Get off your horse and shut the F up....
Old 10-22-2006, 09:28 PM
Registered

I gave it to Eric

Good I can take it off the bill when I have the drive serviced after going through those big waves in the sound...
Old 10-23-2006, 08:11 AM
Registered

Not from what JCap said on here. But after that ET588@aol or whatever his name is did come on here and give some thanks. I guess it was a freightning expoerence to say the least being in that cold water. Not too mention the water on the River was ripping down stream pretty hard...
Old 10-23-2006, 10:14 AM
v21
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Safety CT.River Run

Originally Posted by sharkeymarine
Jim,

I am dissappointed to say the least...

I read one post that the event went off perfectly. Now I read this....

Great job to those people that made the rescue a success.

I just don't know why it is such a big deal for someone to put a life jacket on. Especially in such cold waters....

Tim ,
Most people didn't know of this occurence (myself included) as this is traditionally a Haddam to Hartford run . If it happened on that stretch I would have known about it . The first I heard of it was your repost of Jims' post .
We encourage all to wear vests , you're right it should be no big deal .
Two thumbs up to all who helped in the rescue !!
Old 10-23-2006, 12:11 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by v21
We encourage all to wear vests
AND the lanyard too, no excuse for it (at any time). Had that boat been at speed, it's basically an unguided missle looking for trouble and a future payday for a laywer.

Last edited by Indy; 10-23-2006 at 01:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Safety CT.River Run

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.