Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   New hobby, whole new set of problems. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/143438-new-hobby-whole-new-set-problems.html)

LubeJobs42 10-22-2006 11:50 PM

New hobby, whole new set of problems.

3 Attachment(s)
I came to the conclusion, I need to slow down and pay more attention. I'm doing 100 miles an our all the time and I think that is the main reason I have so many stupid incidents. Either way, it leads to good stories!!
Well, decided to sell the dingy as that was too complicated and stressful. LOL. This weekend I bought a pair of RXP Seadoos. I figured this should be a nice and easy thing for the weeks the boat is out of commission. Just drop them in the water and ride.
Saturday mornning 8:00 I was going to put one of the skis in the water. I went outside and started getting it ready. I have a plastic waterproof box I put my cell phone and money in. I went to put the box in the small dry storage comparment and the box was a tiny bit to big. I decided i will make it fit by slamming the cover of the compartment. With this the cover jammed. I tried everything to get it open with no luck. I opened the larger cover that the starage compartment is in and removed the 8 screws. No luck, it dosen't come apart. I decided to pry it with a pry bar. I rested my elbow on the ski for leverage. I crushed one of the air intake tubes. It broke into 100 pieces. I kept prying the cover until finally a loud pop. Not only did I break the latch,I broke the whole cover. This aggrevated me quite a bit.
I head to the ramp to launch the ski. I stop and pay for the parking ticket. There are quite a few people waiting for the ramp. I remove the 2 tie straps and front hook on the ski so when the ramp opened up, I could go right in.
An opening opens up on the far ramp. I head over towards it. I'm passing a bunch of people which are waving and pointing behind me. I look in my mirror and 500 feet behind me my new Seadoo is lying in the middle of the road! (I guess you need those tie downs all the time on those things). I was mortified!! I put the truck in reverse and start backing up. I'm a little rattled to say the least. I backed about 20 feet, I look in my rt side mirror and to my surprise, my trailer was wrapped completely around the side of my truck. Unlike the boat trailer that are easy to back, these things turn so quick, backing is near impossible. I go to the back of the truck to find a nice new dent. Eveyone had to come over and inspect my dent and offer lots of valuable advice. I head to the Seadoo to find a black mark (Gel coat) 12 feet long on the street. I guess thats how for it dragged before coming off the trailer. I have some very nice scratches on the bottom of my new ski. I get the ski back on the trailer, put it in the water and left the ramp as quickly as possible. You know that feeling, when people are asking if everything is alright but you know they are laughing inside and calling you an A-hole? About 20 people had the pleasure of watching this. After that everything went pretty good. Can't wait until next weekend!!!

LubeJobs42 10-22-2006 11:51 PM

Re: New hobby, whole new set of problems.

1 Attachment(s)
New dent.

Outdrive1 10-23-2006 12:06 AM

OMG, you should try some indoor hobbies. :eek: :drink:
Seriously, we all do similar stuff one time or another. Hang in there, your luck is bound to change.

marineclean 10-23-2006 02:11 AM

Lord, Jesus, God All Mighty could you please lay your hands upon LubeJobs42 and give him the strength, patience and direction that he seems to be in need of. Damn, I don't know what else to say. Hope this helps..... :eek:

cig1988 10-23-2006 03:43 AM

You need to move up north to take a winter break. Man that really sucks!

Ratickle 10-23-2006 04:33 AM

:eek: Damn, If it were anyone but you I would say they were making this up to keep us entertained! :D Next time call all of us so we can come watch. :evilb: :D :evilb: :D

Dean Ferry 10-23-2006 06:29 AM

Gino,
I agree about backing those little Seadoo trailers. After years of backing big boat trailers, which I've got down pretty well, I had to learn to SLOW WAY DOWN, when backing our Seadoo jet boat trailer. :eek: They react really quickly to steering input.
Hope things go better for you soon! :D
Dean

SS930 10-23-2006 06:42 AM

You had to have made this up! :crazy:

9 Lives 10-23-2006 07:19 AM

For the benefit of all of us on OSO, would you please buy a nice helmet cam with front and rear view cameras and a recording system.

Wear it religiously, (except in the shower).

We're not here to make fun of you or laugh....... Just to help..... :evilb: :evilb:

microphone: optional.....I'll be adding my own soundtrack....

t500hps 10-23-2006 07:36 AM

Your right.....everyone was laughing once you pulled away from the ramp. At least we do it openly!!! :D :drink:
Good Luck with the next toy....maybe it should be smaller and say TONKA on the bottom just in case. :eek: