Notices

Sonic Quality

Old 10-23-2006, 08:08 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sonic Quality

Been looking some sonic boats don't know the company very well looking for some advice on them
Old 10-23-2006, 08:27 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Re: Sonic Quality

Depends on the year. Up until 2003, the boats were GREAT quality. Jay Ross and team built a HELLUVA boat. In 2003 a new owner took over, and things went downhill for about a year or two. Some 2003 and 2004 boats took some quality hits as the new vacuum bagging process came up to par. Most of the boats that I know of that had issues, have been corrected, and are fine. Most issues had to do with the fiberglass/gel being to thin in some areas; and everything I ever saw/heard about was cosmetic. 2005 and 2006 boats are better.

The couple brand new boats that are now built under the new-new ownership; CSIMarine, seem to be doing well, but no one is hearing much from them lately. They build the Mares Cat under the Sonic badge now, and Dakota Center Consoles, and a few other boats, including SonicUSA are under the CSIMarine umbrella. They did a big Poker Run Public Relations tour this year with the new maroon/silver 42SS that is in the OSO classifieds.

What size are you looking at? There are other brands that offer the same ammenities, same and better quality, in the same size boats. Sonics are traditionally a big heavy boat for their size. Most ride much smoother than many boats in the same size category due to the heavier weight. This also tends to make them a bit slower when equally powered.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking for something in the 38 ft range have 30ft now with twin 502s run low 80s don't want to sac. speed like to do more boating on the great lakes
Old 10-23-2006, 08:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm not looking to start any troubles but from what I have seen the Sonics don't ride very well. Every poker run I have been on rough or flat I have seen the Sonics porpous real bad.
Just my .02
Old 10-23-2006, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

In the past when I looked hard at them and visited the factory (1997-2001) they were very nice stout boats. Not fast boats but had a great style and well built. The boat this last year that was at the Miami showhad some wavy in the gel. Everytime I walked by it I thought WOW that is some wavy looking hull sides and deck.
As far as new boats go I believe Sonic and Baja are the only ones building a traditional deep V in the 38 foot range.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're gonna' need 525's to do 80 in a Sonic 386, but that boat will go thru almost anything you'll want it to. Find Quiet Storm here on the board...he's spent alot of time running his boat in fun conditions. Many boats porpoise in poker-runs because of the tendancy for the operator to over-trim trying to get the last mph. Some Sonic models (358 especially) are very trim- sensative at average cruising speeds/ flat water.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

top bannana charlie mc carthy designed and built the 38 that he raced as top bannana, he sold the molds to sonic, they added a swim platform and called it a 41.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:21 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by hpoffshore
You're gonna' need 525's to do 80 in a Sonic 386, but that boat will go thru almost anything you'll want it to. Find Quiet Storm here on the board...he's spent alot of time running his boat in fun conditions. Many boats porpoise in poker-runs because of the tendancy for the operator to over-trim trying to get the last mph. Some Sonic models (358 especially) are very trim- sensative at average cruising speeds/ flat water.
I was given a brand new 35 Sonic with 525's year before last to use in a fun run and get the boat out and give it some exposure from a local dealer that we trade with.

Nice boat, we ran it all day long, but the best we could get out of it was 81 on the speedo. Low fuel, four people and cool air temps. I think it may take more then 525's in a 38 to hit 80 MPH.

It was a very nice boat, but the cockpit was tight and the ride was not nearly as good as we were use to in our 36 Outlaw. It was a fun boat to drive, but just felt light.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom A.
I'm not looking to start any troubles but from what I have seen the Sonics don't ride very well. Every poker run I have been on rough or flat I have seen the Sonics porpous real bad.
Just my .02
This was the problem I had with my 42SS, at moderate cruising speeds it would porpoise. It did rough water ok but then I went to a smaller boat a 37 A.T. which was better in all categories. To prove my point on a PR a close friend has a 45 with trips, and running side by side with the A.T. crew this was evident again, but I happened to be on the outside looking at it vs 2 other 37 A.T.s. running along side of it. If you are looking for a excellent boat for the value look at the 37.A.T. If you are looking for even a better ride and a little more cockpit room than the 386 Sonic, 5'10" headroom below, excellent quality take a look at the Nortech 39. It is a step above but costs a little more as expected. Good luck on your search, Jeff
Old 10-23-2006, 10:53 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Tom A.
Just my .02
What I found with the 35 we drove is that is did not like trim, not nearly as much trim as I was use to with my 36 Outlaw.

Once I figured that out and did not over trim the porpous was gone. Then above 65 MPH I trimmed it all the way to get max speed and it did fine.

Quick Reply: Sonic Quality

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.