Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat? >

Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?

Notices
View Poll Results: Arneson Surface Drives
Yes put them on the new boat
85.50%
No use bravos
14.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?

Old 10-25-2006, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?

I still say Bravos on my Baja.

Big Time 335 Horsepower
Old 10-25-2006, 09:52 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vtec
I still say Bravos on my Baja.

Big Time 335 Horsepower
I agree..
Old 10-25-2006, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

"With all due respect....that spin is horse feathers. I will admit that you'll never back flip an Arneson boat....... unless the added rocker bites you.... but you can carry the bow much better with an MC." quote T2x

Dead level trim? The Arneson Skater felt pretty stable at 191mph.

Taking a number six drive, cutting the skegs off and bolting the thing in place so it does not move may work as well.

You do know the rocker plates only move a quater of an inch. How the hell will u bite anything? It is not a trim tab. It is like changing the bottom of the boat a quater of an inch.
Attached Thumbnails Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?-bacardi-drives.jpg  

Last edited by Pro1; 10-25-2006 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:47 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Originally Posted by seahawk
Did you ever drive that Cig with the TRS's? If so what is the difference?
Yes, this boat originally had TRS drives on it.

Kris converted the boat himself to the Arneson's. It went from a side by side TRS (35" Centers) to a Stagger (19") centerline Arneson. (engines are still at 35" centers)

Docking should be worst due to this difference. Sorry T2x, 19" centers do not dock as well as a 35" centers on any outdrive.

Don't know the HP or the before speed. Runs 90 now.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:12 AM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You use your fingers?

I have a couple things at sema on the 1st and 2nd.
When will you be at IBEX?
pat W
Old 10-26-2006, 01:22 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

All week, I have a booth there somewhere.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by vonwolske
I recently saw a relatively new V-hull boat with a notched transom and Arnesons. It had a handling problem. I think that the notch causes you to install them too high, requiring that the drives be run at a down angle to get the propeller into the water. This caused the boat to bow steer and be somewhat difficult to manage.

It would seem to me to not put them on a notched transom boat, however they keep showing up on new boats that way.

Originally Posted by Rik
"If you think about it, negative trim will want to push the bow over and cause the boat to bow steer, not running the drives with the propeller shaft level with the boats bottom. If running the propeller shafts parallel with the boats bottom makes that particular boat bow steer, then there is something to be said about the boat itself"
Riks answer here is a little confusing to me. Although he immediately jumps to defend the Arneson and blame the boat, couldn't this problem be the result of the notch being too high or far above the water surface? Or even be caused by improperly installing the drives too high on the transom above the notch, whereas even when the Arneson is trimmed, it results in still too much negative trim?

What is the range of vertical trim, in degrees, available with the Arnesons. Isn't the "requiring that the drive be run in a down angle" that Vonwolske asked about, possibly still too much negative trim in this case? Also, isn't it possible that boat has a less than ideal transom angle for proper installation.

I've seen some photos of Arnesons with what looked like adapters to change the mounting angle. What transom angle is required for the Arneson and what is the transom angle of most boats built today for traditional stern drives? Are they the same?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Last edited by 9 Lives; 10-26-2006 at 05:08 AM.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:22 AM
Registered

I also wanted to mention that I think that the safety issues about the Arneson are largely unfounded. Many in this thread have noted that the difference in length is not that great.

What I think people are seeing in their mind is that the large anti-cavitation plate over the traditional stern drive seems to offer protection and it does to some extent. When viewed from above, the anti-cavitation plate appears to offer some protection, but you can still see the prop tips on either side. If this anti-cavitation plate was not there, they'd look as scary as the various surface drives.

In fact, the propeller guards available from Arneson actually appear to offer much more protection from falling or diving from the rear of the boat. (I can't fix stupid) It appears, from the photos I have seen, that when viewed from above, no part of the propeller could be seen with the Arneson propeller guard in place. Although, I do wonder whether the propeller guard affects performance or cuts down on the roostertail in any way. Gotta have the tail !! Has anyone tried it?

Personally, on my boat I have very sharp cleaver style outboard propellers on Bravo outdrives and I try to warn anyone that approaches the rear of my boat to stay far away and don't kick their feet at all if they do approach. I keep a first aid kit on board for those who haven't listened or didn't realize what my definition of "very sharp" was..

Last edited by 9 Lives; 10-26-2006 at 05:17 AM.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

[QUOTE=9 Lives]I also wanted to mention that I think that the safety issues about the Arneson are largely unfounded. Many in this thread have noted that the difference in length is not that great.

( Or in my case My Straight ASD-8 is actually shorter by 6" vs #6 drive on the same boat. )

What I think people are seeing in their mind is that the large anti-cavitation plate over the traditional stern drive seems to offer protection and it does to some extent. When viewed from above, the anti-cavitation plate appears to offer some protection, but you can still see the prop tips on either side. If this anti-cavitation plate was not there, they'd look as scary as the various surface drives.

In fact, the propeller guards available from Arneson actually appears to offer much more protection from falling or diving from the rear of the boat. (I can't fix stupid) It appears that when viewed from above, no part of the propeller could be seen with the Arneson propeller guard in place.

( I had a pic from Rik of something he designed called this prop guard on his ASD-6, but unfortunatley lost the pics in the storm. )
Old 10-26-2006, 07:44 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Rik..

You are loyal to your product and I respect that

You are involved in marketing and I respect that.

You have made this personal....and I'll ignore that.

Now to your question

I would opt for fixed surface drives over steerable , trimmable, Arnesons for the same reason that race teams all over the world...today..make the same choice.... Stability.

1.We agree to disagree over the wandering issue

2. We agree that Arnesons have limitations in terms of achieving level or positive trim angles.

3. We agree to disagree over the relative importance of #2 above.

Fair enough?

Nuff said

T2x

Quick Reply: Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.