Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat? >

Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?

Notices
View Poll Results: Arneson Surface Drives
Yes put them on the new boat
85.50%
No use bravos
14.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?

Old 10-26-2006, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?

Good Poll / thread something I often wondered myself.

Not sure if I missed it somewhere amongst the 5 previous pages but what is the cost difference including installation since this is a new install not a retrofit?

Are the props more costly for Arnesons?
Old 10-26-2006, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Damdonzi and seahawk,

I did own and drive the boat with the TRS drives. When I put 800s in the boat I tried to continue to use the TRS drives but the performance and reliability were not good. I used to have 600hp motors in the boat and it did 69-70 mph, when I put the 800s in I hoped to break into the 80s but fell short (77mph). I also like to play in rough water and broke three drives in one season.

After the Arneson drives were dialed in on the boat I have done 91mph and can do 87-88 any time. I run round ear props, they run much better than cleavers on my boat. With the round ears the boat carries very well and rocks in rough water.

I am very happy with my conversion. The boat is balanced well and I can't break these things.

Thanks to Rik (Arneson), Dana Berkland (Twin Disc), Brett Anderson (BBlades) for the help and advice.

Kris Vogt
Attached Thumbnails Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?-p9140088.jpg   Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?-motors.jpg  
Old 10-26-2006, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Kris: Damn impressive.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:57 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NASCAT
Good Poll / thread something I often wondered myself.

Not sure if I missed it somewhere amongst the 5 previous pages but what is the cost difference including installation since this is a new install not a retrofit?

Are the props more costly for Arnesons?
same props that are on the number six....

cost less than their mercury counterpart as well...
Old 10-26-2006, 11:04 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Smarty
The more I read this thread the pro-Arneson side really wants to persuade/defend their product, which justifies why they spent money the on the drive as to avoid buyer's regret (just kidding). Maybe it works better than a #6, and a Bravo style outdrive, don't know, don't care. The product has been in the marketplace for over twenty years and it has its applications, but why hasn't it dominated the marketplace if it is superior to all high performance outdrives (why not Konrad, IMCO, B-Max, Max Machine Works, as well as the MerCruiser products for this 700 hp example)?

I am sure that comment will offend the pro-Arneson crowd, and do not misunderstand me, IF, I had the money to afford a turbine power Skater then I would probably use the Arneson (but that day of ownership for level of boating is not in my near future), but as far as using a ASD #6 or 7 on a new 35' Fountain, or 35' Donzi (just examples, not limited to those models or sizes) with 700 hp motors, the Arneson would not be an option; it may very well outperform the outdrive, but when I see a boat in that size range with that set-up, I see as an unsellable package (or highly reduced price) as compared to the same boat with a MerCruiser outdrive (I am not employed by MerCruiser nor do I own Brunswick stock so I have no motivation to promote their outdrive).

Good products thrive if there is a need and it is priced fairly, so again, I do not see any new Cigarette, Fountain, Formula, Activator, Donzi, Apache, (there where a few Formulas and Scarabs with Kaama(s) back in the day), for example with the Arneson, why is that? Let Arneson sales pitch continue....
I wasn't knocking SD's either, I was asking why not rig for the new Konrad's if you are in the 700HP range. I know I would be happy to look at a used boat with them on given their current reputation. SD's as I mentioned have some small non-performance related drawbacks for the family boater.

Just look at kvogt's picture.

Maybe the poll should read Arneson's or Konrad's
Old 10-26-2006, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean H
same props that are on the number six....

cost less than their mercury counterpart as well...
Cost less than #6's you mean??
Old 10-26-2006, 11:14 AM
Registered

Yep, SD's are an issue for my family. WE LOVE IT
Attached Thumbnails Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?-pulsedrive.jpg  
Old 10-26-2006, 11:16 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Smarty
The more I read this thread the pro-Arneson side really wants to persuade/defend their product, which justifies why they spent money the on the drive as to avoid buyer's regret (just kidding). Maybe it works better than a #6, and a Bravo style outdrive, don't know, don't care. The product has been in the marketplace for over twenty years and it has its applications, but why hasn't it dominated the marketplace if it is superior to all high performance outdrives (why not Konrad, IMCO, B-Max, Max Machine Works, as well as the MerCruiser products for this 700 hp example)?

I am sure that comment will offend the pro-Arneson crowd, and do not misunderstand me, IF, I had the money to afford a turbine power Skater then I would probably use the Arneson (but that day of ownership for level of boating is not in my near future), but as far as using a ASD #6 or 7 on a new 35' Fountain, or 35' Donzi (just examples, not limited to those models or sizes) with 700 hp motors, the Arneson would not be an option; it may very well outperform the outdrive, but when I see a boat in that size range with that set-up, I see as an unsellable package (or highly reduced price) as compared to the same boat with a MerCruiser outdrive (I am not employed by MerCruiser nor do I own Brunswick stock so I have no motivation to promote their outdrive).

Good products thrive if there is a need and it is priced fairly, so again, I do not see any new Cigarette, Fountain, Formula, Activator, Donzi, Apache, (there where a few Formulas and Scarabs with Kaama(s) back in the day), for example with the Arneson, why is that? Let Arneson sales pitch continue....
fountain has built many arneson boats.... and they are in bed with mercury, that should tell ya something....
Old 10-26-2006, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whats the story for them being banned in the us for racing? unfair advantage ...their everywhere in Europe racing....
Old 10-26-2006, 11:26 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by customryder
whats the story for them being banned in the us for racing? unfair advantage ...their everywhere in Europe racing....
i believe taboo runs them on his race fountain....

Quick Reply: Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.