Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat? >

Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?

Notices
View Poll Results: Arneson Surface Drives
Yes put them on the new boat
85.50%
No use bravos
14.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?

Old 10-26-2006, 11:29 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?

Originally Posted by 9 Lives
Riks answer here is a little confusing to me. Although he immediately jumps to defend the Arneson and blame the boat, couldn't this problem be the result of the notch being too high or far above the water surface? Or even be caused by improperly installing the drives too high on the transom above the notch, whereas even when the Arneson is trimmed, it results in still too much negative trim?

What is the range of vertical trim, in degrees, available with the Arnesons. Isn't the "requiring that the drive be run in a down angle" that Vonwolske asked about, possibly still too much negative trim in this case? Also, isn't it possible that boat has a less than ideal transom angle for proper installation.

I've seen some photos of Arnesons with what looked like adapters to change the mounting angle. What transom angle is required for the Arneson and what is the transom angle of most boats built today for traditional stern drives? Are they the same?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Vertical trim is 15 degree and steering is 40 degrees. The mounting of the drives with a notch on a side by side is not an issue as the notch ends (or is relatively small) at the 35" centers. So it does not influence the installation.

Now on a stagger, the notch will have to be eliminated to some degree or totally, as Taboo pointed out. This way the drives can be mounted low enough that the installed height will not cause a severe negative trim situation. When running the propeller shafts are virtually parallel to the bottom.

Transom angles and wedges: Well, there is a wedge plate for the installation of the drop box drive units as the drives had no wedge cast into them. What this wedge plate did for the drop box drive units was eliminate the need to mount the engines at the transom angle. Also, when the drives are tilted inward like they were in the 80's, the wedge plate becomes a compound angled plate which keeps the engines aligned right to left.

In line drives and wedge plates like what is used by Nortec on Jassman's boat, are there to align the engines to level. For example: 13 degree transom angle, 8 degree down angle marine gear, 5 degree wedge and you have an engine that sits level in the engine room. The transom angle mostly affects the mounting height to the transom, as the relative water height stays the same.

For some reason as in the past, boat companies today still have different transom angles. They have a methodology to them which I do not understand, but regardless it places no issues with the Arneson installation.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:32 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Originally Posted by T2x
And your point is?

That outboards operate under different laws of physics than inboards?

That 125 mph in an outboard cat is not as fast as 125 mph in an inboard cat?

That Inboards, and by extension, inboard fans are somehow superior to outboards and outboard fans?

That you want to assure that I'm outnumbered in this argument so you added a tangential comment designed to diffuse and confuse?

T2x
Believe me, there is nothing wrong with OUTBOARDS!

I have sold quite a few of them on the back of 28' Skaters (Hmm SkaterJim) and they are a blast!
Old 10-26-2006, 11:37 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Originally Posted by vtec
Just throwin it out there.......

The center of gravity is higher in outboard boats?

I know the polar moment(on outboard boats) is greater.

On the arnesons:

I'm curious as to the steering ram(on some of the "older" arnesons) changing the trim angle of the shaft as it is steered.

On the ASM7 the steering shafts are parallel to the shaft thus not changing the shaft angle (in side view) as it is steered.

Shhhh... This is how I made it so that there is no tow in/out when the drives are trimmed up/down. The design removed the radial moment arm that created the issue.

This is why I can use a mechanical tie bar on the cat's now and made a few other things better also.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rik or Pro1

Can you explain why with the AI-7m has the steering rams mounted to the outside on some boats and to the inside on others? Especially pertaining to cats?

I thought it may have to do with propeller rotation until I noticed that the 30 Skater appears to have four rams (one on each side of both drives). What is the correct number of steering rams required for proper installation, there location (if only two) and why?

If only two are required, why did Skater use four?
Old 10-26-2006, 02:17 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Rik or Pro1

Can you explain why with the AI-7m has the steering rams mounted to the outside on some boats and to the inside on others? Especially pertaining to cats?

I thought it may have to do with propeller rotation until I noticed that the 30 Skater appears to have four rams (one on each side of both drives). What is the correct number of steering rams required for proper installation, there location (if only two) and why?

If only two are required, why did Skater use four?
This is the new #7M drive unit. The cylinders mount as you see them on the 7M which is different than the ones in the past.

The drives use TWO per set of drive units. I put four on the Skater to try things out. Worked just as good with two so I found that using four was just a waste of two cylinders for the most part.

They can be mounted on either side. Liquid Technologies mounted them inboard so that the access covers on the boxes would be on the outside rather than the inside.

Last edited by Rik; 10-26-2006 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:20 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Originally Posted by Sean H
i believe taboo runs them on his race fountain....
SBI only.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:22 PM
Registered

Is it OK to mount them on either side of the drive, regardless of prop rotation?
Old 10-26-2006, 02:59 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Is it OK to mount them on either side of the drive, regardless of prop rotation?
Yep, so far it has not made a difference.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:27 PM
pb
Charter Member
Charter Member

Here is an interesting application for Arnesons.
Attached Thumbnails Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?-ron2.bmp  
Old 10-26-2006, 06:51 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This is like watching a Ford guy and a Chevrolet guy argue at the local tavern. It will never be settled. It is personal preferance.

I happen on the Arneson side of the fence. I guess because I own a set and am very happy with them so far. (Old 1720's)

I have a 15,000lb+ deep V boat that will do 50mph with bone stock 502's (415hp) I would be suprised if a outdrive could do that.

Dock handling is very similiar to I/O

Steve H

Quick Reply: Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.