Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat? >

Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?

Notices
View Poll Results: Arneson Surface Drives
Yes put them on the new boat
85.50%
No use bravos
14.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?

Old 01-14-2007, 04:34 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?

Originally Posted by customryder
ITs a shame some people are so hard headed.
That truly is a Shame I agree but this is not personal to anyone on this thread.

Fanatiscm is the sincerest form of lack of knowledge one engineer told me once....
Old 01-14-2007, 04:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rik
Only 500?

850ish lbs and 700 hp is a winner.

That would be some 36% more torque than a 525 makes.
also that would be on AT Least equal level with a 750hp blowerBB with 1000ftlbs with SSM6´s if combined with Surface drives or do your opinion differ Rik?
Old 01-15-2007, 01:21 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by super termoli
T2x, you obviously know a thing or two

OK, that's putting it mildly. But now you've got me really confused because your level of knowledge makes it even harder for me to understand your preference for the #6 over Arnesons.

Or is it that you believe that not all surface drives are created equal and that ASD is perhaps not the best incarnation of the concept?
Sorry to jump back into this one...... it is, after all, an Arneson commercial. , but Super Termoli asks a couple of good questions.

1. I prefer the Mercruiser drive because contrary to the earlier babble on here, you can.... with the MC ...easily..obtain a dead level shaft angle that is absolutely parallel to the bottom of the boat at shaft heights starting level with, above, or below the boat's bottom. You cannot do this with an Arneson. This feature allows you to trim positively or negatively...... the Arneson allows only variations of negative trim. That is a limiting factor IMHO. The sterndrive is also more compact and responsive in low speed turning/docking, etc. and much more stable due to the tremendous reduction in leverage on the various pivot points.

2. I believe that a fixed surface drive is far superior to a steerable drive........ but, in fact I prefer a direct surfaced inboard drive (no external u-joint) which is what we developed for the big JJ. This allowed us to lower the "x" dimension to the extent that we achieved the desireable level shaft angle, position the thrust bearing at the transom and reduce the parasitic drive train power loss inherent in a sterndrive...(Its only true drawback). Subsequent developments in dry sumping have reduced that advantage significantly. (Thanks to Wisemann's development work with the Victory team and Mercury's later revisions).

Bottom line, if I'm going for a max horsepower, max speed project (180 + Mph)...turbines or diesels.... I'd look at a fixed surface drive. Everything else...normal high performance...I'd stick with the Mercruiser.

Rube Goldberg would obviously disagree.

T2x
Old 01-15-2007, 03:48 PM
Registered

easily..obtain a dead level shaft angle that is absolutely parallel to the bottom of the boat at shaft heights starting level with, above, or below the boat's bottom. You cannot do this with an Arneson. This feature allows you to trim positively or negatively...... the Arneson allows only variations of negative trim. That is a limiting factor IMHO. The sterndrive is also more compact and responsive in low speed turning/docking

Old 01-15-2007, 04:23 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

If the number 6 is mounted so high on a catamaran how does that apply?
Attached Thumbnails Would you put Arneson Surface Drives on a new boat?-6-drive.jpg  
Old 01-16-2007, 01:24 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro1
If the number 6 is mounted so high on a catamaran how does that apply?
That certainly looks parallel to the boats bottom to me.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
Only 500?

I was told last week 700-750 is what they are pushing for. I don't know how reliable this will be, but 850 ish lbs and 700 hp is a winner.

That would be some 36% more torque than a 525 makes.

Is there a website, and how much longer before they are available to the public. Thanks Jeff
Old 08-26-2018, 01:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Smarty
The more I read this thread the pro-Arneson side really wants to persuade/defend their product, which justifies why they spent money the on the drive as to avoid buyer's regret (just kidding). Maybe it works better than a #6, and a Bravo style outdrive, don't know, don't care. The product has been in the marketplace for over twenty years and it has its applications, but why hasn't it dominated the marketplace if it is superior to all high performance outdrives (why not Konrad, IMCO, B-Max, Max Machine Works, as well as the MerCruiser products for this 700 hp example)?

I am sure that comment will offend the pro-Arneson crowd, and do not misunderstand me, IF, I had the money to afford a turbine power Skater then I would probably use the Arneson (but that day of ownership for level of boating is not in my near future), but as far as using a ASD #6 or 7 on a new 35' Fountain, or 35' Donzi (just examples, not limited to those models or sizes) with 700 hp motors, the Arneson would not be an option; it may very well outperform the outdrive, but when I see a boat in that size range with that set-up, I see as an unsellable package (or highly reduced price) as compared to the same boat with a MerCruiser outdrive (I am not employed by MerCruiser nor do I own Brunswick stock so I have no motivation to promote their outdrive).

Good products thrive if there is a need and it is priced fairly, so again, I do not see any new Cigarette, Fountain, Formula, Activator, Donzi, Apache, (there where a few Formulas and Scarabs with Kaama(s) back in the day), for example with the Arneson, why is that? Let Arneson sales pitch continue....
Doesn't Brunswig also own Sea Slug, Buttliner, etc.?
Those are the boats purchased by and marketed to "mainstream" consumers. Quite simply, it's a "good ole boy system" and always has been.

Time to end the fake news cycle! Change is afoot!

Cheers!
Old 08-26-2018, 01:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And more:

What I find very fascinating is that as the price of ( most) used offshore power boats plummets, those with surface drives seem to be commanding higher prices.

Now, who to believe/listen to..?
Old 08-26-2018, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

The debate still continues..... yes, Arneson all the way!