Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Stock/OEM parts, Merc or aftermarket (Sierra)? >

Stock/OEM parts, Merc or aftermarket (Sierra)?

Notices

Stock/OEM parts, Merc or aftermarket (Sierra)?

Old 10-24-2006, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock/OEM parts, Merc or aftermarket (Sierra)?

I did a couple searches to see what showed up and I didn't come across anything.
Three weeks ago I bought a 1991 Formula 311 with original 454 MAGs/Bravo 1s.
Right now my specific situation is a burned up impeller (my fault on the hose). The guy actually had 2 impellers, a few gaskets and a complete set of belts on-board. But after reading a bunch of impeller threads I decided to buy the kit with the housing, metal wear plate, orings, etc.
So my local Boat Owners Warehouse has both the Mercruiser/Quicksilver kit, and the identical kit from Sierra about $30 cheaper.
And since I got poking around down there, it looks like some of the hoses are original and in need of replacement, and the starboard water pump and fuel pump have some bad rust/corrosion.
So how does everybody decide when to get OEM/Merc stuff or use aftermarket like Sierra? Is Sierra an OEM manufacturer for any of this stuff? I noticed the Sierra water pump said made in Taiwan versus the Merc unit said made in USA, so there's a difference somewhere.
Thanks for any help,
Michael
Attached Thumbnails Stock/OEM parts, Merc or aftermarket (Sierra)?-hi-lift-311.jpg  
Old 10-24-2006, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Stock/OEM parts, Merc or aftermarket (Sierra)?

buy the bronze jabsco unit they last for ever, or get one of the kpm raplcement back halves of the pump, they will cost about the same. ive had both, if i had to do it again i would buy the jabsco unit run it as it comes. when its time to replace the impeller get one of the blue ones that can run dry. there was a thread just the other day buy the company that sells the blue run dry impeller. now do it
Old 10-24-2006, 07:24 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I asked about this same thing this spring, Sierra/Merc.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ghlight=sierra

Merc does not actually make parts, they have them made.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:04 PM
Registered

Thanks US1 for listing your thread; I didn't think to search on Sierra. Sounds like it can be a toss up as to which parts are made by whom, and to what quality standards.

Ratman, I've been reading those posts about impellers. I'm just a little hesitant since some people haven't been thrilled with them, and I'm not sure which design I'd use.
As for the Jabsco bronze pumps, those are for the raw water pump I assume? I'm hoping I'll be fine with a housing and impeller change. What needs replacing is the circulating pump, sorry I wasn't more specific.

Thanks guys,
Michael
Old 10-24-2006, 09:23 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Several of the guys around here have bought Sierra water pump kits....I'm not sure any of them made it through the summer. One guy installed the Sierras winter before last and burned up one by June of last year, he put his OLD merc pump back on and has run it til THIS winter without issue. Don't know what the difference is, but I'm paying the extra money for it.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:53 PM
Registered

Dude, I'm an OEM guy all the way! I just took off 15 year old water pumps (circulating) last year and 16 year old manifolds, risers, and starters this year because I figured I'd gotten my money's worth so far and didn't want what little luck I have to run out! I only run Merc oil, Merc filters, etc, etc... It's worked for me for years! I do the same with my Ford cars and trucks, too. Only Ford OEM parts.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 366 Likes on 245 Posts

I use sierra for minor thing like impeller, but merc for major parts.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:06 PM
Registered

Thanks guys, and I hear what you're saying. Don't worry, I'm not going to turn my engine compartment into a Made in Asia ad...
I was just wondering how the marine manufacturing industry compares to automotive. Obviously the volumes don't compare, but there's so much stuff out there that you can buy from the same manufacturer as OEM, but without the Ford/Chevy/GMC wrapping on it, and save some money.
Starters, alternators, hard parts with bearings, I'll go with OEM or reputable "brand name" aftermarket. But a belt, hose, gasket I might be willing to shop around and compare to OEM.
Mostly unrelated funny sidebar: A replacement MAF sensor for a Mazda Protege, was $50 cheaper "aftermarket" instead of Mazda/Ford. It was made by Toyota, and still had the Mazda part number on it...
Thanks,
Michael
Old 10-25-2006, 03:54 PM
Registered

marine circulating pump has bronze impellar and I'm pretty sure Merc doesn't make their own water pump(circulating).