Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Wow, A great Boat insurance story, finally! >

Wow, A great Boat insurance story, finally!

Notices

Wow, A great Boat insurance story, finally!

Old 10-25-2006, 01:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Wow, A great Boat insurance story, finally!

Progressive is local to me- I know folks who have worked there at higher levels. They are very pro-active. They get right out and get the claim settled- before you get your feet underneath you. They hit you sweet and quick before you come to your senses or do any reswearch- then you hear "sorry sir, we've already settled".

They're notorious for treating their employees the same way.

There's no free lunch- anywhere. Progressive has no magical formula that allows them to offer the same coverage for less $$ than the competitor. It's all in aggressive claims management.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I damaged a SSM 3A due to water-contaminated drive oil after fouling the prop shaft with fishing line. Progressive not only denied the claim but sent me a notice of non-renewal because I had filed a claim with them. Did I mention that THEY DID NOT PAY THE CLAIM???? The adjustor that was sent to inspect the drive first tried to say that the boat had been outfitted with the Speedmasters after the insurance policy was written. When I challenged that statement by bringing to their attention that the survey (which they had required to write the policy) stated that the boat was equipped with SSM3A drives the adjustor then said that he had never seen a Speedmaster drive before but it was his professional opinion that the water intrusion probably was not caused by the fishing line damaging the prop seals. Even after I presented receipts proving I had had the outdrives pressure-checked as part of the survey they still refused to pay the claim.
I took the drive to Mel Riggs and paid $8000 out of my pocket to have it rebuilt.
Did I mention that THEY WOULD NOT RENEW MY POLICY BASED ON A CLAIM I SUBMITTED WHICH THEY DENIED?
Progressive can kiss my ass and people shopping for boat insurance should be aware of the tactics they will resort to.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:50 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crazyhorse
I hope you never have to make a claim with Progressive.

I found them to be very prompt when I busted my outdrive on a semi floating telephone pole in the Houston Ship Channel. Rates were back to normal after two years and dropped last year after they looked at my credit history
Old 10-25-2006, 02:11 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Well,
Thanks for the input guys, I'm going to stick with them, and hopefully I won't have to make a claim. I too, have horror stories from dealings with All State and State Farm insurnace cos. I think alot has to do with your agent, which I think I have a good one, (Bob L.) At this point, I'm just glad to get insurance in FL. PERIOD!
Old 10-25-2006, 02:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by barron
That doesn't look good were you hurt very bad ?
Nary a scratch. Didn't have my seatbelt either. Living at the foot of the cross.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cuda
I don't know how they are on boat insurance, but they were very proactive when I totaled my truck last year. I was very please with Progressive.
I agree.

I've had many claims with progressive, they paid me very promptly, didn't raise my rates, and were very fair during the whole process. When I crashed my boat this summer, they paid out, then did an investigation to determine who was at fault. They determined that the other guy was at fault, despite the cop finding me at fault, and they're refunding part of my deductible now.

When I got the boat back, there were a few little things i wanted done better. For example the rubrail. They only replaced the small section that was damaged. I called and said it doesn't match my 15 yo rubrail, so they're ponying up to replace the rest.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
Well,
Thanks for the input guys, I'm going to stick with them, and hopefully I won't have to make a claim. I too, have horror stories from dealings with All State and State Farm insurnace cos. I think alot has to do with your agent, which I think I have a good one, (Bob L.) At this point, I'm just glad to get insurance in FL. PERIOD!
Your agent could be your mother and the adjuster that handles your loss could care less. Agents are sales people. The ones that handle your loss are company adjusters. The adjusters follow the policy and guidelines, they don't ever have contact with the sales person.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:38 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by gsmith9898
Your agent could be your mother and the adjuster that handles your loss could care less. Agents are sales people. The ones that handle your loss are company adjusters. The adjusters follow the policy and guidelines, they don't ever have contact with the sales person.

I understand all that, but I believe that if you have a good agent, that he will help resolve any issues you will have with a claim.
Anyway, Bob L. is the MAN!
Dean
Old 10-26-2006, 08:09 AM
Registered

I have been a progressive adjuster and am now an agent. It is all about your adjuster, plain and simple. A good agent will help you with your claim by giving you insight into the claims process. Plus they will call land raise cain on your behalf if needed.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:26 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Dblvanos
I have been a progressive adjuster and am now an agent. It is all about your adjuster, plain and simple. A good agent will help you with your claim by giving you insight into the claims process. Plus they will call land raise cain on your behalf if needed.

Thanks for the input Db. Where do you live in FWB? What kind of boat do you have? I just finished up 1.5 year TDY @ Hurlburt, delivering a C-130 Talon II Flight simulator. Great place for boating, and raising a family.
Dean

Quick Reply: Wow, A great Boat insurance story, finally!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.