Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Reggie's new 35 Lightning does 103 with 525's!!! >

Reggie's new 35 Lightning does 103 with 525's!!!

Notices

Reggie's new 35 Lightning does 103 with 525's!!!

Old 10-31-2006, 02:24 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Reggie's new 35 Lightning does 103 with 525's!!!

Originally Posted by Rippem
so it wasn't SLANDREW's higher intelligence?

Look...I'm not knocking Fountain at all. Reread my posts, you'll find complimentary comments more than not about the product. What I'm knocking is the huge leap forward in the trend of more readily available turn-key BIG-SPEED this represents, and what the cosequences may be.

After all the commentary about "policing ourselves" and our sport, it seems a bit of a contradiction to not give consideration to the fact that manufacturers (Fountain leading the charge) are not doing the same thing!

There is another way to go here. What about taking into consideration the petroleum nightmare, the ensuing insurance meltdown ect...

and making it twice the accomplishment to have a new 35 lightning run 85 on economical staggered SMALL blocks? Imagine the balance and capabilities! Even gain a little cockpit back! This would take nothing away from the stellar achievements in boat design...and yet shows some responsibility for the industry, our economy and environment, and risk (as in keeping the speeds reasonable, and the insurance industy from raping us).

Here's an oppurtunity for Reginald M. Fountain to truly take the lead and be a trendsetter in saving our pastime!

Thoughts?
i think small blocks would have to work harder to produce torque and hp to push that size boat .remember there is NO replacement for displacement
Old 10-31-2006, 02:45 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOWOUTBOARD
i think small blocks would have to work harder to produce torque and hp to push that size boat .remember there is NO replacement for displacement
Not necessarily. stroker (377, 383 for example) small blocks are entirely, reliably capable of fat flat torque curves. Take into cosideration wieght savings and "revability". Imagine a couple of 400hp/450 ft. lb small blocks more than willing to buzz 6K in a 7300 lb. 35'

There is more know how out there in terms of making reliable power/torque and sustained high RPM from a small block than any other format.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Reggie's new 35 Lightning does 103 with 525's!!!

Originally Posted by Marginmn
Well, it was just this type of comradery and good will between boaters that got into this past-time in the first place.

Well put Robert, I bet you never expected this to take off in this direction. As a beak owner I am impressed with what has been acomplished by Fountain, and would be as impressed by like acomplishments by any builder. When I bought my Fountain I did so for the ride and handling the boat offered, not the speed, as I gave up close to 20 MPH in the change. I can make changes to the present set up and run faster, but hate to give up the "stock" reliability, I love to just go for a ride and enjoy a day on the water. To be able to run 100+ and retain the turn key relialibility would be like having the best of both worlds.

In my time here on OSO I've come to the conclusion that if you want to stir things up the best way to do that is make a statement implying that Fountains are something another brand is not. Dosen't matter if refering to speed, quality, styling, or the port-a-pottie, you will get folks out of the woodwork to jump down your throat. The only other way to stir up as much BS is to go on down to the Velocity forum and make any comment that disagrees with, or even questions their view of things.

Back to the new 35 Lightning, Thumbs up to you Reggie! Never let it be said you sit on your arse and watch the world pass by.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Well put Robert, I bet you never expected this to take off in this direction.
Just a straight boring 10 pages of "attaboys" would have surely been more palatable.

...instead of discussing the broader aspects of what such an accomplishment means to the performance boat industry, lifestyle and economy.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rippem, normaly I enjoy your posts and have always felt that
you are a staright up & intelligent guy...but I just don't understand
your current posts. Half the people on OSO spend a fortune every
year to make their boats faster. Making big,heavy "wave crushers
fast is expensive and difficult, especially when it comes to reliability.
Still people continue to do it at enormous expense. It really doesn't
matter if you buy a production boat that does 100 mph or build one.
Insurance rates are dictated on a rate of return to the insurance co.
Are you suggesting that manufacturers try to be less efficent. If
so,call the Porters and tell them they made a mistake with their Fastech
design. I mean,really,you can't be serious. Are you suggeting that
Fountain..or any other manufacturer stops trying to become more
efficent?? That would be financial suicide. You act as if Fountain is
the first manufacturer doing this. What about the Cig Gladiator?
The boat does close to 100mph with 525'S (my buddies does 90 with
500,S in fresh water!) So the boat has no cabin, To each his own. Thats
why we have choices. If there is a market for the 35 that Fountain builds,
even with a smaller cabin,so be it. Its the buyers right to make that
choice. My bet is people will be lining up to get them. I wish my 35 EX
would run 90mph with 496 relabilty. Honestly,it sounds like sour grapes.

Last edited by epeek; 10-31-2006 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:01 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 9 Lives
SLANDREW , snapped moments after the "pickle" popped out......
He didnt get that round mouth from eating square meals
Old 10-31-2006, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts
Question Re: Reggie's new 35 Lightning does 103 with 525's!!!

Originally Posted by epeek
Rippem, Are you suggesting that manufacturers try to be less efficent. If
so,call the Porters and tell them they made a mistake with their Fastech
design. .

Excelent point! Fastech was a quantum leap for Formula, one that has served them well in the industry, and has been well recived by the loyal followers of their products, as it should be. Sooooooooo does that make the Porters as guilty as Mr. Fountain in regard to this speed/ insurance/irresponsible manufacturer issue? If yesterdays Formula with "X" power ran 60 mph and todays more effecient Fastech design with the same "X" power can run 75 mph, are not the Porters as responsible for the pending "melt down" within the insurance industry you refer to?
Old 10-31-2006, 06:25 PM
Registered

offshore's were running 70 MPH 20 years ago. Those kind of "ballpark" speeds have been the norm of thinking for the average go fast in the ins. industry for a long time

there's a change in those assumptions building...

over 100 as delivered, stock, mass-produced that anyone with the funds can tow home the same day wether they know how to handle it or not...

is a whole new world gentlemen...

that's all I'm saying.

and reflect defensive "any other boat" bashers I clearly said earlier...

IT'S NOT ABOUT FOUNTAIN>>>IT COULD HAVE ANY MASS BUILDERS NAME ON THE SIDE
Old 10-31-2006, 06:27 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Some of you all really know how to make azzes of yourselfves.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Rippem
so it wasn't SLANDREW's higher intelligence?

Look...I'm not knocking Fountain at all. Reread my posts, you'll find complimentary comments more than not about the product. What I'm knocking is the huge leap forward in the trend of more readily available turn-key BIG-SPEED this represents, and what the cosequences may be.

After all the commentary about "policing ourselves" and our sport, it seems a bit of a contradiction to not give consideration to the fact that manufacturers (Fountain leading the charge) are not doing the same thing!

There is another way to go here. What about taking into consideration the petroleum nightmare, the ensuing insurance meltdown ect...

and making it twice the accomplishment to have a new 35 lightning run 85 on economical staggered SMALL blocks? Imagine the balance and capabilities! Even gain a little cockpit back! This would take nothing away from the stellar achievements in boat design...and yet shows some responsibility for the industry, our economy and environment, and risk (as in keeping the speeds reasonable, and the insurance industy from raping us).

Here's an oppurtunity for Reginald M. Fountain to truly take the lead and be a trendsetter in saving our pastime!

Thoughts?
Hey Rippem,

I share your concern about putting more speed into the hands of the non-experienced public but increased speed is only part of the story.

It is well documented that the second generation stepped hulls, or Super Ventilated Hulls (Fountain, Cig, etc.... post year 2000 hulls) were faster than first generation stepped hulls, but they attain that extra speed at the price of stability in turns. Many people (including experienced drivers) have been hurt or worse when these boats have spun out and in many cases flipped . It is my understanding that putting a full stagger in these new Fountains (in theory) helps the stability of those boats via an improved CG. And In theory, that should mean fewer crashes and fewer people hurt and thus fewer insurance claims.

This improved CG not only makes the boats more stable but it helps them be more fuel efficient and faster with less power. There are huge savings there. Personally, a few years ago I went with a slower smaller stepped 35 and then a slower small stepped 2000 38 Fever because I didn't trust the bigger stepped second generation hulls available at the time. But If these these newest hulls do prove to be more stable then I would consider buying one.

On the downside I would not be surprised if the insurance on these faster boats went up. But honestly, it is so expensive and time consuming to obtain the speed that many are looking for that any increase in insurance costs would more than be offset by the savings of improved hull efficiency and lower fuel costs while doing it - not to mention more reliability and thus fewer repair bills. And if the reported speeds do pan out then I would expect a great number of these new hulls to come out with the much cheaper (and slower and safer) 496 power.

Maybe these increased speeds will lure some of the new boaters with big check books to opt for a semi-fast V instead of a 140+ mph cat. But for myself, boating on an inland lake, the smaller cockpits in these boats might be a show stopper for the time being. That is until I drive one and then depending on how they handle it might be a different story.

As for Reggie he has two choices: Constantly impove his product or go out of business. And when you are in the Go-Fast business that means his new boats must go faster with less power. In this case I hope it goes along with improved handling. If it doesn't, then I will be right there with you concerned as hell about the future of our sport

Quick Reply: Reggie's new 35 Lightning does 103 with 525's!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.