Like Tree0Likes

Ebay Scam regarding the Wheelie boat!

Old 10-31-2006, 06:12 PM
Registered

My Boats: 24' Pantera
Default Re: Ebay Scam regarding the Wheelie boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Thanks for posting a pic of the check. I printed off a bunch of copies- I'm going to go and buy some $hit from Ebay with them.
Can I suggest you start with some crash boxes??
Old 10-31-2006, 06:38 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1997 Cig Kevlar - powered by Boyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelHene
Cashiers check can be stopped.

I Know this personally to be a true story: Husband and wife (in the process of a separation) each go to different branches of the same small bank and close a joint owned account of significant value. The wife takes the cashiers check and opens a new account at a different bank in a different city. About a week later (I forget exactly) new bank calls wife and informs her the cashier check was returned! Attorney very knowledgable with applicable law says this is highly unusual.

In the end: The bank that issued the cashiers check to the wife said they issued it in error not knowing that the account was closed at another branch. They determined husband closed account first!

This occured about 10 years ago in New York sate. Nope, wasn't me...but I know the couple extremely well.
Unusual, but if it was a joint account, someone would have had to pay it back. I don't think the bank could return the check as a legit cashiers check is should be debited from the account when it was drawn.

Sounds like the bank f'ed up and issued 2 checks and took a shot at getting it back by returning it. I don't think they could return it legally but the joint couple would have an overdraft to the bank for the 2nd check anyway.

Also be sure it is a cashiers check because banks a lot of times issue a "Bank Check". Looks like a cashiers check but isn't the same thing.

Not saying it didn't happen..but if it would have been issued to a 3rd party there'd be a lawsuit
Old 10-31-2006, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouyhunter
Can I suggest you start with some crash boxes??
Hell, I was thinking about buying "the world's fastest Apache" with a stack of these babies.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1997 Fountain 35 Lightening

I have to plead a bit of ignorance on this subject. I don't know the difference between a bank check and a cashiers check...it could of been either one.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "...the joint couple would have an overdraft to the bank for the 2nd check anyway.".

And yep, the bank sure did mess up allowing the account to be closed twice! One would think that would of been impossible...even with the technology that existed at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Bongo
Unusual, but if it was a joint account, someone would have had to pay it back. I don't think the bank could return the check as a legit cashiers check is should be debited from the account when it was drawn.

Sounds like the bank f'ed up and issued 2 checks and took a shot at getting it back by returning it. I don't think they could return it legally but the joint couple would have an overdraft to the bank for the 2nd check anyway.

Also be sure it is a cashiers check because banks a lot of times issue a "Bank Check". Looks like a cashiers check but isn't the same thing.

Not saying it didn't happen..but if it would have been issued to a 3rd party there'd be a lawsuit
Old 11-07-2006, 08:11 AM
Registered

My Boats: Donzi Criterion SS, X-18 , 16 OB, Z-235, F-14, Magnum Missile

A cashiers check can be stopped.. You have to post a bond in the amount of the check to do it... Been there, done that...
Old 11-07-2006, 09:01 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boats: 00 Cig Tiger,74 Cig 20'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
Just got this message from the scammer.
Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 6:12 AM
To: Gino Gargiulo
Subject: RE: why silent?

DO YOU NO THAT YOU'RE A THIEF,BASTARD AND A CHEATER!!!!!!!!!!! SINCE YOU GOT MY CHECK AND YOU CASHED IT YOU BEEN KEEP QUIET AND I HATE THAT ALOT I WANT MY MONEY BACK OR ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
now thats funny, ask him where he would like to meet so you can hand him the cash personnally...with a cop
Old 11-07-2006, 09:16 AM
Registered

My Boats: '99 33 Outlaw HP 500's,

Paypal is not a sure thing either! I bought an EVO engine off of ebay through paypal and the deal fell through( the seller was scamming me). If the funds aren't in the sellers account PP won't refund your money. They send a warning to the seller and then close his account if he doesn't respond. Luckily it came out of my credit card and they charged it back to PP. If it had been out of my bank I would have been screwed. Always use a card if you can.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:21 AM
Registered

You might copy and paste the consumer alert in the 23rd post and email the content back. Say that you know about the background of those attempts and that he shall be very careful but dont threaten him. Say him he shall act from now on properly and shall not do anything that might cause the failure of the deal, otherwise he will get all legal actions he deserves. Mention that you are sure that the anger between you both is certainly only a missunderstanding and will certainly not continue. Try to be polite but superior, well you are obviously dealing with a scam so being polite in those cases is not easy. Good luck.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:37 AM
yss
Registered

My Boats: 1979 33 Cigarette, 2007 23 concept

Selling stuff sucks! Next time I sell anything I'm using a broker so I don't have to waste my time w/ all this BS.