Notices

Lets rebuild a Cigarette.

Old 10-28-2006, 11:28 AM
Steve_H

Default Lets rebuild a Cigarette.

Considering a Cigarette project boat again that needs just about everything and need help on prices. I will be paying for all labor on top of everything else. please fill in the prices. some stuff i already have firm estimates on. i know i would be money ahead to buy one that has already been done but this is as close as im ever going to get to a new boat done the way "I" want it.

Motors (has junk 454's now) rebuilt or buy low hour used w/ decent aftermarket complete exhaust ( 500 hp minimum) + labor =

new skins, foam, pirreli flooring throughout + labor = 8000.

new or near new drives, gimbles, ect. + labor =

new gauges, throttles, wiring harness, cables, ets. + labor =

new mild paint = 10000.

props =

full hydraulic stearing + labor =

used 12k capacity aluminum trailer =

pirelli flooring + labor= 750.

what am i leaving out?

Old 10-28-2006, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Lets rebuild a Cigarette.

Is the dash still black? Figure $7-$8K to shoot it white.

Why not vinyl graphics over paint?
Old 10-28-2006, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Throw in an extra 5k for who knows there is alot that comes up when doing one. Just alot of miscellaneous. I know you have been after a bullet for awhile. I have 2 one doesn't have power in it right now if you want to talk let me know.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what size boat are we talking
Old 10-28-2006, 12:29 PM
Registered

Since I did the same thing a few years ago, here are some of my numbers (assuming you are willing to use some used parts where it makes sense). I tried to forget most of it since I went almost double over my planned budget.

Motors - rebuild what you have with more HP = 20K or buy newly rebuilt = 30K - 35K
All of the accessories - oil coolers, sea strainers, motor mounts, hatch rams, flame arrestors, all brackets, hoses, rigging labor, etc. 5K- 8K

new or near new drives, gimbles, ect. + labor = 10K - 12K

new gauges, throttles, wiring harness, cables, ets. + labor = 3K - 4K

props - 1500

full hydraulic stearing + labor = 4K - 5K

used 12k capacity aluminum trailer = 3K - 5K (good used is hard to find - I picked up a new triple axle Tow Master alum 10,000 lbs for around 4K)

what am i leaving out? - fiberglass work for dings and gouges, steering wheel, stereo, trim pumps, trim tabs, batteries, battery switches, fuel tank sending units, new fuel hoses, new battery cables, etc. - I am sure I left a bunch out, but my guess would be plan on about 10K for things you won't know until you need them.

Add these to the numbers you already have and you are probably close to $65K - 75K then add in the cost of the starting project hull.

The only way I can see doing something like this in a cost effective way is to use a lot of good quality used parts (some screaming good deals), and do most (about 90%) of the labor yourself.

That's just my experience doing this once. Not sure I would ever do it again. Good luck with the project.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:26 PM
Steve_H

Originally Posted by waterbum
Since I did the same thing a few years ago, here are some of my numbers (assuming you are willing to use some used parts where it makes sense). I tried to forget most of it since I went almost double over my planned budget.

Motors - rebuild what you have with more HP = 20K or buy newly rebuilt = 30K - 35K
All of the accessories - oil coolers, sea strainers, motor mounts, hatch rams, flame arrestors, all brackets, hoses, rigging labor, etc. 5K- 8K

new or near new drives, gimbles, ect. + labor = 10K - 12K

new gauges, throttles, wiring harness, cables, ets. + labor = 3K - 4K

props - 1500

full hydraulic stearing + labor = 4K - 5K

used 12k capacity aluminum trailer = 3K - 5K (good used is hard to find - I picked up a new triple axle Tow Master alum 10,000 lbs for around 4K)

what am i leaving out? - fiberglass work for dings and gouges, steering wheel, stereo, trim pumps, trim tabs, batteries, battery switches, fuel tank sending units, new fuel hoses, new battery cables, etc. - I am sure I left a bunch out, but my guess would be plan on about 10K for things you won't know until you need them.

Add these to the numbers you already have and you are probably close to $65K - 75K then add in the cost of the starting project hull.

The only way I can see doing something like this in a cost effective way is to use a lot of good quality used parts (some screaming good deals), and do most (about 90%) of the labor yourself.

That's just my experience doing this once. Not sure I would ever do it again. Good luck with the project.
thanks waterbum. thats the kind of info i was looking for. i could probably find most of parts i need right here on oso (new and used). some of your estimates seam high to me but then again i havent been down this road before.

painting the dash is included in the price to paint the boat.

vinyl over paint is something im considering.

boat is a cig bullet.

Old 10-28-2006, 03:09 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I know you Steve. My advice would be to scrap this idea and buy something that is already done. In the end, you will be way ahead. By the time you get done with this, you will have around a 100k in a boat that is worth 65k. For the money you will have invested, there are a lot of great boats out there for sale.

I would say that waterbum's estimates are pretty close.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Don't do it..... You will be as they say UNDER THE BUS. Buy one finished !

LS
Old 10-28-2006, 06:07 PM
Registered

Steve, We've talked before. I've decided to put my 31 AO back in tip-top shape before I sell. It would stay with that Bullet at 1/2 throttle, use much less fuel and give you a much smoother ride at 70 mph and up.

A high freeboard, shorter V-bottom like the Bullet at LOTO really gets thrown around alot with all the quartering waves and the waves bouncing off the cliffs. It's a little scary and potentially dangerous at higher speeds.

Ask others who have ridden in both Vee's and cats there in the "Washing Machine". It's definitely cat water.

The labor and unknowns will kill you, unless you can do most of the labor yourself. I speak from experience.

Oh, and for the price....It will be less than what your gonna spend on the refurb........
Old 10-28-2006, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you're capable of putting in a lot of the sweat equity, it's a money pit.

It's a buyers market right now. Be patient and you'll find a nice Cigarette that's ready to enjoy.

Quick Reply: Lets rebuild a Cigarette.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.