Good first performance boat - 26' CC Stinger or 26' Wellcraft Nova >

Good first performance boat - 26' CC Stinger or 26' Wellcraft Nova

Notices

Good first performance boat - 26' CC Stinger or 26' Wellcraft Nova

Old 10-28-2006, 03:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good first performance boat - 26' CC Stinger or 26' Wellcraft Nova

I've been thinking that in the next year or so I'd like to get my first go-fast boat. Obviously the two choices I'm comparing here are older boats and in style a bit closer to cut down cruisers (in my eyes) vs all out sport boats. I like both choices because I prefer a boat with twins as opposed to a single, and it seems like nice examples of either one could be had for about $10 grand.

I'd rather spend 10 grand and find out I hate performance boats then spend 10x that on a really nice used rig. I can always move up after that. Any advice, opinions?
Old 10-28-2006, 03:17 PM
Registered

Default Re: Good first performance boat - 26' CC Stinger or 26' Wellcraft Nova

Oh and there is a 28' Cary Open Fisherman I've been keeping my eyes on for a long time with new twin big block inboards. IIRC, the 28' Cary became the 29 Blackfin, but without any kind of windshield or tower, it should perform pretty well, no?
Old 12-31-2006, 04:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Smile Re: Good first performance boat - 26' CC Stinger or 26' Wellcraft Nova

I have a 26 Wellcraft Nova and am very satisfied with its performance. It handles waves very well and is economical on fuel for a twin engine boat. I bought a Wellcraft because I liked the instrument panel and cuddy lay-out better. Plus the color selection is better. Other than that the two boats are quite similar in style. One thing to look out for, besides the normal stuff, on a chris-craft is a lifting or separation of the floor between the cuddy and cockpit. This is a sure-tell that the stringers have become detached from the hull and need to be tabbed back in, if not replaced. Other than that, good boats. A well tuned Nova II with twin 260's, should run low 60's.
Nick
Old 12-31-2006, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

28 cig... offshore whores... 35k... like new.... best 1st boat out there
Old 12-31-2006, 07:46 PM
Registered

I'm very happy with my nova.Nice cabin space and handles the rough water better than you'd expect for the size.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Ive got an old nova 250 with twins..not the fastest boat around, but it does good in the big stuffand is suprisingly nice on gas.. when looking at wellcrafts, check the stringers and transom good, or look for one thats been redone...
Old 01-01-2007, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a '83 Wellcraft Nova II for 6 years and loved it. Sold it to buy my Formula.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:11 AM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Originally Posted by jrodnj

I'd rather spend 10 grand and find out I hate performance boats then spend 10x that on a really nice used rig. I can always move up after that. Any advice, opinions?
If you only want to spend $10K on an offshore boat, it'll be guaranteed you will hate performance boating

G
Old 01-01-2007, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cigarette1
If you only want to spend $10K on an offshore boat, it'll be guaranteed you will hate performance boating

G

i didnt want to be the one to say it
Old 01-01-2007, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by cigarette1

G
I paid 11k for my first go fast. It was a 23ft boat with a 450HP 454. It was a 75mph boat. And I had fun with it. Five years later, I have a 40ft Excalibur Hawk.

You have to start somewhere. And you can drop 50-100 grand on a total piece of crap in this sport.

A boat to consider is a Four Winns Liberator 261 or 241. Both came with twins, the 241 were mostly singles though. Very solid boats, and good in the rough water.

In response to your question, I have heard good things about the Wellcraft Nova. The Chris Craft is similiar. Watch for any signs of wood rot, soft floors, etc. Motors can be swapped out in a weekend, but a rotted transom or stringers is a major repair! Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Good first performance boat - 26' CC Stinger or 26' Wellcraft Nova

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.