Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Legal aspects of towing over 8'6" wide... >

Legal aspects of towing over 8'6" wide...

Notices

Legal aspects of towing over 8'6" wide...

Old 10-29-2006, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Legal aspects of towing over 8'6" wide...

Originally Posted by Crazyhorse
One other thing- insurance companies consider poker runs, fun runs, and almost any other planned outing as an "organized event", which means NO INSURANCE COVERAGE!!!
Are you saying that there is no coverage during the entire trip or just no coverage during the run in the boat?

It's a scary thought to think that you have no coverage while towing cross country with the chance of being involved with an "uninsured motorist", blow a tire, lose control, etc..

I know you could say that you were on a vacation if an incident occurred on the way to a poker run, but it might be hard to pull that off if you were on the way back. An investigation would likely find this out.

Last edited by 9 Lives; 10-29-2006 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:47 PM
Banned

crazyhorse, how do you get a motorhome reg when the tractor does not have a bathroom or stove
Old 10-29-2006, 04:03 PM
Registered

seems like there must be some leeway- every 8'6" RV/trailer I've ownde had 3-4" of awnign hdwe asticking out (additional) and often there is similar hdwe on the other side. my 28' GN race trailer prolly measures 9' 2" or moreby the time you measure all the hdwe.

Same with the mirrors on very big truck (or for that matter my tow mirrors flipped out on the Dodge, 3" worth of clearance lights, log trucks and scrap trucks with the sides bowing out
Old 10-29-2006, 04:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bgchuby01
crazyhorse, how do you get a motorhome reg when the tractor does not have a bathroom or stove
A lot of usefull information about converting a MDT (medium duty truck, class 4-6) and HDT (heavy duty truck, class 7-8) to what is required for licensing as an RV can be found at these sites.

www.dmbruss.com/RR_WhyTheVolvo.htm

www.escapees.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x

Last edited by 9 Lives; 10-29-2006 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:09 PM
Registered

Hi bgchuby. This is the time of year that the Michigan boaters want their boats transported to Michigan. It might be interesting if you were to contact Tiara Yachts to see if they need to hire you every now and then.
The requirements in Michigan to regiswter and plate a vehicle as a motorhome are permanent sleeping facilities and cooking facilities. No sanitary facilities are required.
Mine has both cooking and sleeping facilites and passed the inspection.
Each state has different requirements so you need to do some research. I think Missouri has a selection list that contains about ten different items. Of these ten the vehicle has to have seven permanently affixed. It doesn't matter which seven as long as you have seven.
Florida says that if the Florida-registered motorhome/motorcoach has three axles it needs to be registered as a commercial vehicle.
Each state also has different driver license requirements. Michigan has an interesting loophole concerning the use of a commercial tractor to pull trailer with the truck operator's personal goods in/on it. Legally I can rent a Ryder truck to pull my boat without a CDL as long as I can prove it's my boat and it's for personal pleasure use.

9Lives, the insurance lapse would be during the event only.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:13 PM
Registered

Hi bgchuby. This is the time of year that the Michigan boaters want their boats transported to Michigan. It might be interesting if you were to contact Tiara Yachts to see if they need to hire you every now and then.
The requirements in Michigan to register and plate a vehicle as a motorhome are permanent sleeping facilities and cooking facilities. No sanitary facilities are required.
Mine has both cooking and sleeping facilites and passed the inspection.
Each state has different requirements so you need to do some research. I think Missouri has a selection list that contains about ten different items. Of these ten the vehicle has to have seven permanently affixed. It doesn't matter which seven as long as you have seven.
Florida says that if the Florida-registered motorhome/motorcoach has three axles it needs to be registered as a commercial vehicle.
Each state also has different driver license requirements. Michigan has an interesting loophole concerning the use of a commercial tractor to pull trailer with the truck operator's personal goods in/on it. Legally I can rent a Ryder truck to pull my boat without a CDL as long as I can prove it's my boat and it's for personal pleasure use.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=127816
Scroll down aways and check out the inside pics (don't take it too seriously)

9Lives, the insurance lapse would be during the event only.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:30 PM
Registered

OK Crazyhorse, that was funny. Now where's the real pictures of the sleeper cab?
Old 10-29-2006, 04:42 PM
Registered

You liked that, eh? We were in Ft. myers last February and a friend had my wife take pictures of the motorhome he was putting for sale. The buyers said the pictures were what sold the unit.
The Freightliner is just a run-of-the-mill unit that has permanently installed cooking facilites just behind the seats and the stock bunk.
These trucks can be found on www.truckpaper.com and www.trucktrader.com for very reasonable prices. Keep in mind that very few are automatic transmission-equipped (there is a 1994 Freightliner FLD120 A/T in Fremont IN on truckpaper for $6800) but they fit the GVWR and GCWR.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:13 PM
Banned

for legal reasons you are able to be 102 inches wide. safety items such as mirrors and other things are able to be a little wider
Old 10-29-2006, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was pulled over for overwidth I also did not have CA numbers on my Kodiak. I was told any truck with a gvw over 12000 lbs., ie. anything over 1 ton needed a CA number. That started the mess. My Kodiak has a gvw of 18000 lbs. which does not require a CDL however once you attach a trailer over 20 ft. long and over 10000 lbs. now I needed a CDL. My trailer is 40' and 18000 gvw rated. My boat is 10' ft. at it's widest point but measured 115" at the point of measurement. Whether the rig is pleasure or commercial the CHP really doesn't care. I do not stop at scales but was informed that if I'm chased down for passing the scale it will count as a point on my license just like speeding. I got a real education that day and the only reason I was on the freeway is I was trailering my Jaguar to the glass shop after the wreck at the Big Cat Poker Run. I think the CHP officer felt sorry for me as I showed her the damage as we were measuring the transom. The officer could have made me disconnect the trailer on the shoulder of the freeway and find a driver with a CDL to move the boat and trailer. Not a good week. Doug

Quick Reply: Legal aspects of towing over 8'6" wide...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.