Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Legal aspects of towing over 8'6" wide... >

Legal aspects of towing over 8'6" wide...

Notices

Legal aspects of towing over 8'6" wide...

Old 10-28-2006, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Legal aspects of towing over 8'6" wide...

Doing a little research on a second boat for overnighting. It seems that the models I have selected are mostly about a 9 to 9'6" beam. I regularly see boats with over 9 beams being towed down the highway and putting in at my ramp and other places I boat.

Kentucky has a legal limit of 8'6" without any special paperwork. Are these folks taking chances with being put off the road, having a claim denied if an accident were to occur during towing, etc?

Can you get a waiver or tow only during certain hours if over 8'6"? Do you need a commercial vehicle?
Old 10-28-2006, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Legal aspects of towing over 8'6" wide...

i have a friend who is in the insurance business in KY in trucking, he might be able to help you out. i can give him a call if you would like.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:43 PM
Registered

That would be great, to get some unbiased opinions. Just post up the gist of what he has to say about this. Might be useful to all. I see a lot of boats over 8'6" and I am curious if they are even aware or if the dealers who sold them the boats are telling them something else. Perhaps along the lines of "people do it all time". Probably is not a problem until an accident occurs.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:36 PM
Registered

"I'm sorry Mr. BadDog, but as your insurance carrier, we would like to help you, but our investigation has shown that you were towing outside of the legal limits of your state, without the proper permits, and it is for that reason, WE ARE DENYING YOUR CLAIM".

"Mr. and Mrs. Smith, the injured parties in this case, said that they would be happy to settle with you for the amount of your home, boat, autos, all of your personal possesions and a small payment of $7200 per month for 20 years. For settlement, please contact the escrow company below ASAP"

Is this the possible scenario ???????
Old 10-28-2006, 06:53 PM
Registered

Yes, that is the scenario I was not wanting to see. 290 Sundancer might wind up being the 278 Vista. I have to be able to trailer. Don't want to be stuck on one body of water. I live 1/4 mile from the ramp on the river but still want to go to Cumberland, Dale Hollow, Lake Mi. etc. I could take the other boat but I plan on keeping it for day trips and afternoons. I was forced to contact my insurance company and fess up about the Baja's blower motor so I would not have to worry about insurance. Only my wife and I are covered for operating it. Kid's were bummed but they have their own boat. My plan was to get a cruiser and de-tune the Baja for anyone around the house to use.

A letter like that would suck, I bet there are a lot of us towing over the vehicles rating? I have a friend that tows a 40 Baja every weekend. Brand new, just under 400K with his power. I wonder if he has checked into the insurance thing...
Old 10-28-2006, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

permits are not that hard to get though!
Old 10-28-2006, 07:57 PM
Registered

I'd be afraid that towing over the GCWR (gross combination weight rating) might result in the same type of letter if it was investigated.

I'm sure that there is a lot more of the overweight towing issues going on that the overwidth or overlength issues, but all may result in the same outcome.

If someone kills one of my family members because they couldn't get stopped while towing their Topgun with their Escalade, I'd do my best to see that they get three good square meals a day.......

Last edited by 9 Lives; 10-29-2006 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:41 PM
Registered

Assuming the correct tow vehicle what type of permit do you need and at what cost? Blanket permit or only good for the day? Extra insurance to get the permit? I need to do some homework..
Old 10-28-2006, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You need to do some local research. Every state is different. Could be as minimal as $350 bucks per year, and daylight hours Mon-Sat -no holidays.
Do your homework and you should be fine. Aside from having the correct truck and permits, I have heard the rule of thumb for just everyday tow-ability (meaning how much of a pain in the azz it is) is anything over 10 feet is challenging. Under that is like normal towing, just be more conscious of what you have back there.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:08 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can get an annual permit for a couple hundred bucks but in most state a CDL is mandatory as well as proper truck.

Quick Reply: Legal aspects of towing over 8'6" wide...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.