Notices

family boating

Old 10-30-2006, 07:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: family boating

Kids love boating. I make a few "mom and kids" trips every year. They love ridng in my Bullet.

Bottom line.... Get a boat that YOU love! The kids will love it too.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:36 AM
Registered

Lake Michigan is tough on little ones. I bought a 28 ft checkmate when my boy was 1. A little to rough and loud unless its a glassy flat day. I bought a 30ft cruiser and the kids and the wife enjoy more often. I have never been on a 38ft cig so I wouldnt know how that would be. Good luck!!
Old 10-30-2006, 07:46 AM
Registered

I have a 6 month old son and I have taken him out on my 28 ft checkmate a couple of times on Lake michigan. I would love to have a 35 Cig cafe so there was more room for him and his toys, nothing to do with me. I have been boating since I was less than a year old on a large cabin crusier. My folks always had something to keep my brother and I busy. No matter what kind of boat you have, as long as the kids have something to do they will have fun. With that said, get the cig some sand toys and take your kids to one of the many beatiful beaches on the Big Pond.
Attached Thumbnails family boating-dsc00189-2-.jpg   family boating-dsc00191-2-.jpg   family boating-dsc00194-2-.jpg  

Old 10-30-2006, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll second the mid-cabin open bow. The cabin offers shelter for the little ones, and older kids like to ride up front making the cockpit less crowded. Ours is a 32'er. It's the best of both worlds. Offshore performance and family fun. We tube and ski the kids all the time. Here's my youngest on a board:
Attached Thumbnails family boating-kneeboard.jpg  
Old 10-30-2006, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check-out the Monterey 298SS....22deg. bottom, Twin EFI smallblocks, Merc BIII or Volvo DP. 55-60 mph performance with great hole-shot for tow-sports.
Hugh
Old 10-30-2006, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts

Instead of getting a 38'..... Back down a bit and get a 28' performance boat with a single engine and then you'll have enough money left over to get a small ski boat as well. Now everyone's happy

My daugthter dosen't like going out in my 19' bow rider because "it's not cool enough". But on the other hand I won't tow a tube or skiers behind my Checkmate.
Attached Thumbnails family boating-joelleskiing.jpg  

Last edited by Shah Mat; 10-30-2006 at 10:15 AM.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a slightly different take on the family boating/38' offshore question. My whole gang (wife, kids,friends, kid's friends,parents, etc.) have a blast out on the Scarab. We cruise, fish, anchor, swim, waterski, tube, camp, hang out at the dock, and have even had meetings and trainings aboard the boat. People,(6-8) love to hang out on the deck (not on plane, of course),4-5 people will layout on the sun lounge, 3-4 can relax on the rear bench seat, 3 or 4 will always stand around in the cockpit when underway and of course there's room for 7-8 of us in the cabin - the younger ones love the coziness of the vee berth. The most we've had out at once is 19 people for a leisurely midnight cruise. What I've come to appreciate most about this type of boat is its versatilily; it's safe, fast (if 68mph is fast anymore), has accommodations, and easy to trailer. It's the least amount of compromises that I've ever had in all the boats that I've owned. -Jeff
Old 10-30-2006, 10:15 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TRICK
My experience has been that kids enjoy any boat.

Just take them along!
The old man is right...
Attached Thumbnails family boating-dsc00529a.jpg   family boating-chris.jpg   family boating-glhboat2.jpg  

Old 10-30-2006, 10:20 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Originally Posted by jhiguy377
I've got a slightly different take on the family boating/38' offshore question. My whole gang (wife, kids,friends, kid's friends,parents, etc.) have a blast out on the Scarab. We cruise, fish, anchor, swim, waterski, tube, camp, hang out at the dock, and have even had meetings and trainings aboard the boat. People,(6-8) love to hang out on the deck (not on plane, of course),4-5 people will layout on the sun lounge, 3-4 can relax on the rear bench seat, 3 or 4 will always stand around in the cockpit when underway and of course there's room for 7-8 of us in the cabin - the younger ones love the coziness of the vee berth. The most we've had out at once is 19 people for a leisurely midnight cruise. What I've come to appreciate most about this type of boat is its versatilily; it's safe, fast (if 68mph is fast anymore), has accommodations, and easy to trailer. It's the least amount of compromises that I've ever had in all the boats that I've owned. -Jeff

19!
Old 10-31-2006, 03:33 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Sea Ray 290 Sun Sport

http://www.searay.com/sport_boats.as...modelyear=2007