Young Performance 750- Latest engine >

Young Performance 750- Latest engine

Notices

Young Performance 750- Latest engine

Old 11-01-2006, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Young Performance 750- Latest engine

Just curious why some people don't use marine headers to dyno? Will it make a difference in HP?
Old 11-01-2006, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

yes
Old 11-01-2006, 08:31 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by customryder
Just curious why some people don't use marine headers to dyno? Will it make a difference in HP?
using the probes in each cylinder and the 02 sensor would be much more difficult....
Old 11-01-2006, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Customryder,
Also, a lot of motors use a lot of different headers and you can't go drilling holes in all of them because they are so expensive. Sean H is right, it makes the O2 sensor and the EGT probes difficult. I try to tune for the wet exhaust on the dyno. Every motor will get rich when you put it in the boat and add the water to the exhaust. The place that the water enters the exhaust stream will make a huge difference in both the hp change and the air fuel ratio change. If it enters at the end of the tailpipe, there won't be much loss if any in hp.
Also, the majority of dynos can't accept wet exhaust. They have mufflers that can't have water run through them. Hope this helps.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Customryder,
Also, a lot of motors use a lot of different headers and you can't go drilling holes in all of them because they are so expensive. Sean H is right, it makes the O2 sensor and the EGT probes difficult. I try to tune for the wet exhaust on the dyno. Every motor will get rich when you put it in the boat and add the water to the exhaust. The place that the water enters the exhaust stream will make a huge difference in both the hp change and the air fuel ratio change. If it enters at the end of the tailpipe, there won't be much loss if any in hp.
Also, the majority of dynos can't accept wet exhaust. They have mufflers that can't have water run through them. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info... so you if I understand correctly you make them a tad lean on the dyno? I know its hard to nail it on the dyno with the variances in the boat.. do you often half to make changes once they are installed in the boat?
Old 11-02-2006, 06:20 AM
Banned

Thanks for the info... so you if I understand correctly you make them a tad lean on the dyno? I know its hard to nail it on the dyno with the variances in the boat.. do you often half to make changes once they are installed in the boat?
Not exactly. and yes minor changes may need to be made in the boat.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:31 AM
Michigan Mad Man
Racer

We use all marine headers on our dyno. We run dry tail pipes so we don't fill our exhaust silencer system outside.

Last edited by TylerCrockett; 10-31-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:22 AM
Registered

Customryder,
Generally speaking, if you tune a motor perfectly on the dyno, it will be rich in the boat, with the addition of wet exhaust, and need to be touched up. That is why I shoot to have the motor a little lean on the dyno. That does not mean it will make more power. Actually, sometimes they make less. I am not tuning for the biggest hp number, but for the best in the boat with whatever exhaust it has.
Depending on the exhaust, I have seen the air/fuel ratio change over 1 point. That can make the difference between a motor being too lean on the dyno and too rich in the boat.
For the above reasons, I like to personally run each and every boat that has my motors. If I build a motor for Nortech or Hustler, for example, they will install it and I will fly to the factory and be present when the boat is ready to run for the first time. I do this for every motor that I sell. Hope this helps, Eddie
Old 11-02-2006, 09:17 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DoTheMath
Thanks.

And easy there - not sure I'm ready for that kind of juice in the bilge. I'm thinkin' a bit more mild, maybe 650-ish - not lookin' for those 15 hr. oil changes and buying fuel by the 55 gal. drum just yet in my life.

Just glad to see you back into it - we'll talk when the time comes for sure!
Man and I thought you were a playa!!!!
Old 11-02-2006, 09:26 AM
Registered

Man and I thought you were a playa
I think he's just skeered!!!

Quick Reply: Young Performance 750- Latest engine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.