34' Hustler Cheetah vs 33' Active Thunder

Old 11-17-2006, 10:34 PM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 34' Hustler Cheetah vs 33' Active Thunder

Originally Posted by DaveP
So..

How many people in this thread have driven both a AT & a Hustler?
How many people have been to both the AT plant and Hustler plant?
How many people understand the construction differences between the AT & Hustler?

I own neither boat and I have done or understand the above. Just because you own one it doesn't make it the best boat. Take a moment to learn all of the facts.
I have driven both and own a AT.Put it these way the husler is lighter and Maybe faster but put both in 3-4' and see who gets there first and if it goes over 100mph i'll still beat the hustler.I was told by a ex racer that said single steps where short lived until he drove my boat and was impressed.I'll be in miami for the show with the boat so if you want a ride call me.Aslong as my boat isn't 2.5" to short and i don't need to wait in line for the crane.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Hustler is a very Well built boat as is Active Its a tough call, Just drive both & you will find the one you like best.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cosmic12
I don't think Pat will get into this anytime soon. What I do know is that if you go to the shop he will spend all the time you need and take you out on the 33 he has there and show you what it will do. It really comes down to what you want out of a boat. If you put the 2 side by side the AT is a larger boat and will give you alot more bang for the buck. But if all you want is speed well then look at others because with the A.T. you will get speed and a whole lot more. Just take a long hard look.
This may be true, but I was in contact with Pat many times before the Miami show last year and flew all the way across the country to enjoy the show but also take valuable time to make the trek up to Pat's shop to chat and such. Long story short, I got stood up and while I was at AT, Pat was at the docks. I could chalk it up to bad timing and poor communication, but Pat has certainly NOT gone out of his way to figure out how to try and make it up to me.

It was not my intent to get in a pissing match about boats, but I think the (2) each have some strong points and I am trying to sort them out and make a decision early next year on one of them.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rik
They have built two of the 344's with 525's and Arnesons. Both run 103 on the limitors bone stock.
ya and one of them was up here in the great white north.I do not want to start anything here but that boat put some very nice people in the hospital for an extended amount of time. like Jass said the A.T. will keep its AZZ planted in the water.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:10 AM
Registered

Two nice choices.
If I went back to a V bottom I would strongly consider a 33 because I enjoyed my old 25 so much.
Take them both for a ride and let us know
Old 11-18-2006, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AT have more cracks that a crack addict.

Hustler builds a better boat. I have seen alot of 38 Slingshots that have been ridden hard and have never seen any stress cracks.

I have seen AT facility as well. Hustler is the better boat.

I have a 97 25 AT tantrum w/400+ hrs, although I haven't had it long haven't seen any cracks except where there is one gel coat repair about the size of a quarter. I believe that is due to an improper repair..............
Old 11-18-2006, 08:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

AT have more cracks that a crack addict.

Hustler builds a better boat. I have seen lot of 38 Slingshots that have been ridden hard and have never seen any stress cracks.

I have seen AT facility as well. Hustler is the better boat.

DaveP! You are on crack. I invite you to come look at my 37. Show me a crack. For everyone, I will give you 100 bucks. I will also invite you to see the first 32 Pat built. We use to own it. It is at my marina. Show me a crack and I will give you 100 bucks per.

I also had the azz end of a 388 Slingshot slide out from under me at 65 miles an hour in a lake going over 33 for Searay wake. Ask Dave Barbee which one is better he is DRB on OSO. He owned both and a 37 OL.

Know for my honest opinion. I just got done shopping…The top three V's built right now are Cigarette, Active Thunder, and OL in no particular order. Each offers the customer a little something different. Speed = OL, Bling=Cig, Ride = AT. I also like the 43 and 50 NT's but they are bigger boats.
boats.

Last edited by crb76; 11-18-2006 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being the owner of the 1st 33 AT ever produced, I can honestly say that their aren't many people that have driven a 33 AT. In fact, other than myself, I can count only 2 others, Pat and Jay. I think it would be more than difficult for the general public to comment on the ride, build quality, or any other aspect of the boat at this point.

That being said, the boat is perfect in every aspect for my style of boating. The cockpit is deep and big. (In fact, the cockpit is the same size as the 37). The cabin has plenty of head room and can be equipped with any option you can imagine. As for power, I chose Merc. 525's for reliability and turn key performance. She runs 92 with stock Bravo 32's.

As for the ride, it's shines in big water, and that's what AT has been about since the beginning. It's as stabile as can be and never throws you any surprises. My boating is primarily in the Northeast where we see constant 2 to 4's, blowing up to 4 to 6's some afternoons. We cruise at 68mph at 3800 rpm.

The boat is at AT for the winter along with 2nd 33 produced. Ours is the side entry cabin with side by side bolsters. Pat's is the center entry cabin.

As for the Hustler, I can't comment. I have never been on a Hustler and would not venture to say anything about them as it would only be speculation on my part.

Steve
Old 11-18-2006, 09:31 AM
Registered

Just like the above post, I will not comment on AT, don't know much.

But, I will tell you that Hustler most definitely builds a good product in what can only be called a state-of-the-art facility. Joe puts his heart and soul into these boats and whatever the quality of AT, nobody can say that Hustlers are "production" boats. That is downright insulting for someone who puts that much care and effort into building a premium product.

Everyone has undoubtedly realized that Hustler have been experimenting with surface drives and diesels for a while. The reason they are doing that and pushing the envelope in that direction is reliability. Quite simply, Joe doesn't believe that boats should break down all the time, he doesn't believe that it is OK to suffer downtime during the season, etc. And I can tell you that they apply the same thinking to their construction. The boats are solid and no corners are ever cut. They don't need to, the operation is rock-solid from a financial point of view as well.

As for the comments on the Cheetah with 525s and Arnesons, that is BS. I've been out in both a 344 with 525s and XRs and one with 525s and ASDs and both handle just fine. However, if you are used to a straight bottom with Bravos and you go to a stepped hull with surface drives, the two machines are clearly different and the operator should take time to gain experience and modify his way of operating accordingly.

I am so sick of people pointing fingers at manufacturers because someone sometime got thrown out of their boat. In today's world, where people have a very hard time accepting responsability and risk (and running 100 mph on water is risky), it's always easier to blame someone else. Let's face it, in 99% of these cases, the operator screws up. I am sure that an AT spun out at some point, somewhere but I am going to say that AT makes an unsafe boat? No!!! Hell, Skaters have probably killed and put in hospital more people than any other boat but would anyone call them unsafe? Infact, they are probably the safest performance boats out there.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:32 AM
Registered

Steve

Your boat is beautiful for sure and I am glad you are enjoying her so far. It was also very nice to meet you and the wife, along with the other Steve ?

Anyway, the challenge I am having is Pat's communication or lack thereof and if I am going to plunk down $200k+ on a new boat, I expect to get a certain feeling about the person/company that is making the boat and that I would eventually have to deal with on a service/warranty issue. Like I said before, maybe I should just chalk it up to bad timing or whetever, but with the market as soft as it is right now, I think the customer or potential customer is GOLDEN and I know how I would be as a seller in this situation.

I am fairly certain I could get this issue cleared up if I were to bear the expense of flying all the way acros the country for the show again this next year, but a change of employment will preclude that from happening this go round. Maybe I'll just keep my rig for another year and a half and go from there.

Happy holidays to you and your beautiful wife....

Blane

Quick Reply: 34' Hustler Cheetah vs 33' Active Thunder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.