Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Edelbrock Aluminum Heads (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/145699-edelbrock-aluminum-heads.html)

gripit 11-22-2006 02:45 PM

Edelbrock Aluminum Heads

I'm thinking about getting a set of oval's for marine that come anodized. It seem like a great deal 2 aluminum heads for 1300.00 and some inconel valves. I think the real value is that they come anodized. Who likes these heads and who dis-likes these heads? Thanks

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...t_bb_rpm.shtml

MARINE-DUTY PERFORMER RPM 454-O AND 454-R

Heavy-duty, 1.89" Inconel exhaust valves provide added durability for marine applications
Hard anodized to protect the aluminum in the harsh marine environment
Sold with valves only to allow for valve spring choices
Match with an Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold, Performer Series 750 cfm marine carb and Performer RPM cam for proven performance
Smaller-than-stock 11/32" valve stems promote excellent flow and lighter valve weight

PERFORMER RPM 454-O MARINE OVAL PORT
Chamber Size Intake Port Size Valve Sizes (in/ex) Bare (single) Complete (single)
110cc 290cc 2.25"/1.89" N/A #61459*

Smitty 11-22-2006 05:41 PM

Re: Edelbrock Aluminum Heads

I run the rectangular ports on my rig. Supercharged application. Out of the box they didn't flow very well at all. Spent some cash to have the exhaust side opened up as well as bowl ported. Now they flow REALLY well. Hope this helps somewhat.

Escape Velocity 11-23-2006 09:47 AM

I had the oval port heads on a 454 years ago and they worked great. Good all around performance from idle to top end. We targeted and got max HP at around 5400 rpm. Dyno HP was in the 460-470 HP range. I don't remember the torque number. Tyler Crockett specified the cam and carburetor and built the engine. He also worked the heads a bit and installed larger valves. Last I heard the engine was still running strong, eight years later.

JIMKID Motorsports 11-23-2006 10:20 AM

I Put A Set Of Performers On A396 Street Car Motor Right Out Of The Box 20 Miles Later Hung A Valve In The Guide Hit The Piston Not Pretty Guides Were To Tight From The Factory You Get What You Pay For Have A Good Head Shop Check Them Out Before Useing Them

KAAMA 11-23-2006 11:34 AM

Someone here on OSO from the Detroit area bought 2-sets of the Edlebrock aluminum heads and had JimV flow test the heads as they came from the factory out of the box---they don't flow too well. JimV did a partial port job for the guy and got them to flow much better.

Smitty 11-24-2006 12:30 PM

Kaama-

I am the guy that worked with Jim V. and those heads. See post above. I am from Chicago area.

Smitty

gripit 11-24-2006 08:48 PM

An engine builder told me he uses the Edelbrock rectangular port intake manifold with the Edelbrock oval port heads to create a tunnel ram effect. Does anybody do this?

10x 11-24-2006 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by gripit
An engine builder told me he uses the Edelbrock rectangular port intake manifold with the Edelbrock oval port heads to create a tunnel ram effect. Does anybody do this?

Unless you got the applications reversed, stay clear from that engine builder. :rolleyes:

Back4More 11-24-2006 09:05 PM

:p

BTW there was just something in this months PowerBoat Mag about a buildup using some of those heads with a bunch of part numbers listed.

topfuel 11-24-2006 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by gripit

I agree with 10x. I have used oval port intake manifolds with rectangular port heads in certain applications. It really increases throttle response and intake velocity.